HighWire Press released the results of a survey yesterday. The survey responses came from libraries at 138 institutions on 5 continents. A significant majority were in the USA, and most of the respondent worked in undergraduate or graduate academic libraries. The full report is available for download.
Some of the results can be summarized as follows:
- Respondents predicted rapid growth of ebooks in libraries.
- PDF is the preferred format but librarians want options.
- Users discover ebooks through the library catalog and through Internet search engines.
- DRM hinders the use of ebooks; the ability to print is essential.
- Purchase (with perpetual access) is more popular than subscription.
- User demand drives selection decisions.