B&N updated the Pubit! FAQ yesterday, and some of the answers say a lot about B&N's future business plans. They're only interested in the US market, they're looking for distribution partners, and they might be looking at POD.
What do I need to create an account?
- A BN.com login, which you can create on the spot if you do not already have one
- Contact information for the account holder
- A U.S. Credit Card & U.S. Bank Account and all related information
- Your SSN/TIN/EIN
Will PubIt! support publishers based outside the U.S.?
- Yes, as long as you have U.S. rights for your titles and have a U.S. bank account and a U.S. credit card.
B&N has decided not to pursue the global ebook market. Their loss.
Where will my titles be listed for sale?
- PubIt! titles will be available for sale in the Barnes & Noble eBookstore and through all of our digital distribution partners.
Does anyone have any information on this? It's the first I've heard of it.
Will PubIt! support print publishers?
- In order to sell your titles through PubIt!, you must start with a digital file. At launch, PubIt! will be geared exclusively toward eBooks.
Look at the way they phrased that. It leaves open the possibility that they're going to move into POD.