If this is an issue on which you have views, go and cast your vote. Remember we are not asking how magazines will be read next year, or in 2012, but in 2020! These are the choices:
- In print on paper delivered via physical distribution
- In print on paper delivered by home printer device
- On a tablet (something like the iPad)
- On an e-ink device (something like the Kindle but with colour)
- On a mobile phone (something like the iPhone/Blackberry)
- From an image projected to a surface by a mobile phone (or something like that)
- On a personal computer (the equivalent of today's PC or Notebook)
- On a TV-type of home entertainment system
- On silicon brain inplants
- On heads-up interactive goggles
- On a device or medium unlike any of the others in this list
I don't think this can be predicted, but I'll give it a shot.
By 2010, the word magazine will include types of media that we are only beginning to invent. The organizations will still exist, the but actual object could end up looking like nothing on the market today.
Look at those poll choices. I be that about at least half of the ways we will consume magazines in 2020 are not yet on that list. Some haven't been invented yet. (That list will look quaint by the 2020.)