A reader left the following question on my contact page yesterday. While I normally try to answer questions like this by email, I thought this one needed to be answered on the blog. James probably isn't the only with this problem, and I'd like to help everyone at once.
I don't have the specific details of James' situation, so I'm going to try to cover all possible solutions. But let me give the short answer first:
- Don't worry. All tablets and ebook readers that were tied to the Borders ebookstore will also work with the Kobo ebookstore (as well as other ebookstores, but that's a later post).
I just purchased my Slick E book. Since border is going out of business, will books still be available? (As soon as I figure out how to download them for my wife. She averages 5 romance novels per week.)
Here are some of the situations that might apply to you.They're not complete instructions, but they are enough to point you in the right direction. Please read them all; you might have to follow more than one set of instructions.
I have a Borders E-reader - You can just as easily buy ebooks from Kobo and they will work on your ebook reader just fine.
- All you need to do is download the Kobo Desktop app and install it. The Kobo app is the exact same software as the Borders app and it will work with your ebook reader.
I have a Borders Tablet - There are still some of these out there, so I thought it deserved a mention. The tablet owner is in even a better situation that the ebook reader owner.
- All of the tablets sold at Borders run on Android, which means you can get reading apps from other ebookstores and shop in those other ebookstores. But it will take some jumping through hoops to get the apps. Click here and read the section about finding and installing apps.
I have ebooks from Borders - Have you moved them over from Borders to Kobo?
- If not, go to Borders.com, log in to your account, and follow the instructions on how to transfer the ebooks to a new account at Kobo.
- After you've moved the ebooks, you might want to download the Kobo Desktop app and install it.You can use Kobo Desktop to manage your ebooks.
I have a Borders reading app - Which one? It's a complicated question, but generally there you will need to download a replacement Kobo app.
- If the app is on your iPhone or iPad, go to the appstore on your device and download the Kobo app. Set up an account and your ebooks should also work with the new app (assuming you already moved them over from Birders to Kobo).
- If the app is on your computer, then go download the Kobo Desktop app and install it.
- If the app is on your Android tablet then you might have to jump through some hoops to get the Kobo app. If you know where you got the app, go back to the same place and look for a Kobo app. If that doesn't help, click here and read the section about finding and installing apps.
I think I covered all the bases. If I missed something please ask your question in the comments.
image by brewbooks