1. I figured out how to just highlight.
- open menu,
- select "text selection mode" for the stylus, then highlight
- click “menu: on the display with the stylus
- exit that menu without doing anything.
It's great that this feature works but it's so many steps. The worst part is I don't get to choose what color the highlight is. It's a color screen, and I want to use several different colors for things that go to different ideas (as it is shown on the box).
And why is the stylus menu so awkward? Why can't I choose line thickness, eraser, color etc just by clicking icons in a strip along the top or bottom?
2. The update also added some new textbooks, and that's much better than the other references included with the JBC (when it shipped). However, I was going through the pre-algebra texts and it talks about learning how to use a graphing calculator. There is a graphing calculator on board - can I access it from the text? No.
With Pocketbook I can open a menu, select from the last 10 things (either other books or programs like the graphing calculator!) then quickly jump back to the textbook where I left off. I can't do that here.
3. I can zoom in, write with the pen and then zoom out. Fantastic. However, about every 2 seconds it "saves" and shows a little disc icon on the screen. Also, the zoom only goes to 150% , With other devices I have as much as 400% zoom, giving me much more room for notes. And again, everything is through the menu: Click menu, click zoom, click 150, click menu , click stylus mode, click drawing, draw/save/draw/save, click menu, click stylus mode, click stylus off, exit menu, use buttons to pan around, start over. At normal reading mode I can easily still read the writing and I probably could have written it without zooming.
In comparison: With my Onyx M90, I can use the stylus and select zoom to zoom in on, for example, a chart (I did this last night) which brings it up to like 400% full screen. I then scribble all over it with no saving delay, then click an icon on the bottom of the display to switch to panning mode. I then slide around to another part of the page, click the icon back to scribble, write some more and then zoom out (to fit display/hide margins etc). The text I just wrote is so small that it looks like dots and straight lines when in normal reading mode.
I feel like every update is just going to leave me feeling like "here's one more thing they haven't done yet".
Addendum - why can I turn on wifi and configure it even though there isn't anything that the JBC can do with it after that? I think they should have waited to turn on the wifi menu until we could do something besides turn it on and off (a web browser, for example).