I am turning it back on again as a stopgap measure. I had planned to have a new blog theme up and running by now but it is taking longer than I expected. The new theme will be responsive, and will replace both the Carrington Mobile theme as well as the Cutline theme.
Both themes have been heavily modified by me as part of learning basic web design, but I think they've outlived their usefulness. And frankly they're really not all that pretty when compared to modern blog themes.
And TBH, I disabled the mobile theme because I kept seeing the mobile site while browsing on Internet Explorer (I think it was a cache issue). No one else has ever complained about this issue but I was afraid that it had been going on for some time before I noticed. That problem was the final straw which made me decide to finally switch to a new blog theme.