My Opera had initially launched in 2001 as a support forum, but it wasn't until 2006 that things really took off. That's when Opera turned it into a quasi-social network where users could "blog, share photos and add each other as friends".
But times change, and Opera no longer has the resources to keep My Opera up and running. And so they are asking users to backup their content. Opera has even offered a ist of instructions:
- First of all, grab a copy of all your stuff. Use our download tool to backup your blog posts and photos.
- Investigate your options. There are many great services out there. Perhaps you want to bring some of your friends along to a new place? Let them know where you want to go. Maybe you can write a blog post about it?
- When you’re ready for the switch, sign up for a new social network. We’ve provided some links here. You might know of some more good sites. Feel free to comment here and let us know.
- If you’re one of our email users, sign up for a new email service and set up an autoreply in My Opera to let your contacts know about your new address.
- Then, forward your email to your new email address.
- If you have a blog, make your readers aware of the switch. You could write a post with a link to your new blog and make it sticky so it stays prominently at the top of the page.
Opera is even killing the email service; they've suggested that users find a new service and forward any emails they want to save.
In case you're interested, I know that Gmail has an easy to use import feature called Mail Fetcher. When I used it I was able to transfer thousands of emails without any difficulty. It grabbed everything, so far as I know.
I have to confess, this is the first time I had heard that Opera even had this type of platform. Has anyone used it?