Publishers are the focus of this morning's reading list, with Ben Thompson offering a unique explanation for the state of traditional publishers and Bloomberg taking the position that publishers should be saved. Other stories include a call for a Google tax, the ridiculous state of copyright law, and more.
- EU digital economy chief wants Google to pay up under new copyright law (GigaOm)
- Facebook’s phony claim that “you’re in charge.” (Pressthink)
- Publishers and the Smiling Curve (stratechery by Ben Thompson)
- Save the Book Publisher (Bloomberg View)
- Websites with reader inputs offer new ways for writers to get their works out (The Strait Times)
- When Even The New Yorker Is Doing Long Features On The Ridiculous State Of Copyright Law... (Techdirt)