So I’ve moved to a new webhost …

After much thought, I have chosen a radical solution to the ongoing access issues my site has been suffering for the past few days.

I’ve moved The Digital Reader from 1And1 to MediaTemple. They have a decent reputation, don’t appear to engage in astroturfing or have fake spokespersons, and MediaTemple offers a $30 a month managed WordPress service. That last detail means they (hopefully) know more about WordPress than me. Continue reading

Help Needed

Can someone recommend an expert who can help me trouble shoot the problems with my blog?

Over the past 3 days I have been having serious issues with my blog using excess resources and hitting the limits imposed by my web host. (This is why the blog has been inaccessible.) I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue but nothing works. At this point I need an expert.

The problems started sometime on Tuesday.  Without any increase in traffic, my blog suddenly started maxing out its resources limits. Since then I have run security checks, turned off plugins, replaced the blog theme, and tried everything else that I could find online (short of switching to a new webhost.)

I’m stumped. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows an expert that I can hire, please let me know.

Introducing the Calmer, Less Angry Digital Reader Blog

Anyone who has been reading this blog for more than a few months is probably familiar with my writing style, and you may have noticed a marked change to that style over the past few weeks.

The posts on this blog have been shorter, more numerous, less snarky, and covered a broader range of topics than what I was writing 6 months or a year ago, and they’re going to stay that way. Continue reading

The Digital Reader is now on Google Plus

This is just a quick note to let my readers know that I have succumbed to the Google. I now have an account on Google+, which you can find here.

I know that I’m probably the last person you’d expect to join Google+, given how much I have foamed at the mouth, but let me share the 2 words that changed my mind:

Google Authorship.

I have been told by a number of people that not setting up a Google+ account can negatively affect my blog’s search result listings.  I don’t know for a fact whether this is true, but I’ve read it from enough different sources that I have to take it seriously.

I’ve added Captcha to the Comment Form

I’m sorry to have to announce this, but I’ve added a captcha to the comment form.

Due to an overwhelming and unending amount of spam, I find myself forced to add a captcha in the hopes it will filter out the bots. I don’t like captcha and I’m sure you don’t like it either, but I am getting so much spam each month that it’s either add a captcha or disable the comments entirely (or switch to a comment platform like Disqus or Livefyre, but I would rather close the comment section than deal with those folks).

According to akismet, this blog got 559,815 spam comments in December 2013. That is 10 times the amount of spam I had to deal with in December 2012, and there is no sign that the onslaught will abate any time soon. January promises to be just as busy; I’ve already had to deal with 341 thousand spam comments.

So at this point I cannot put it off any longer. Sorry.