Stash W950 – new e-reader in Australia

TopBargains.com.au has turned up an ereader that's being sold by Officeworks, an Australian chain store. If you've been following my blog, you should recognize the hardware. We've reviewed this hardware as the Delstar Openbook.

If you're thinking about getting one, then I'd like to hear from you. I want to know if the Stash firmware is better than that of the Delstar Openbook.

Here are the specs as listed by Officeworks:

• Display: 5" TFT LCD
  • Music: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC, WAV, OGG
  • Image: JPEG, BMP,GIF
  • Video: RM, AVI, RMVB, 3GP, FLV, MP4, DAT, VOB,, MPG, MPEG, MKV, MOV
  • Preloaded with 100 free books
  • 12 months manufacturer's warranty

1. Jono9 June, 2010

I have brought one and it is quite good. The battery life is good and there are heaps of free books on the internet. It is easy to use and good value. There is a model above it that seemed good too.

1. red2 August, 2010

Hi there

What website have you bought ebooks from?
      I have bought one from Borders but I am having trouble loading it.

1. Nate the great2 August, 2010

It has to be retailers that don’t use DRM. Baen Books or Smashwords would be my first choices.

2. nat3 August, 2010

Hi, I too have one and have had trouble loading books off Borders, I can read them via Adobe Digital Editions, which I have downloaded from Borders. Apparently the e-reader is meant to be authorised like the computer is to the program, however I have not been able to do this as the program itself isnt detecting the e-reader. I have sent another email to Borders and am also trying to see if downloading other software will help. Will post any info that I find out that could be helpful. Otherwise I am happy with the quality and price of the stashw950 except for not being able to download the books onto it.

1. Cass12 April, 2011

hi i’m having the same problem just downloaded a book from borders but am unable to read it on my ebook was wondering if you have found a solution to this problem

2. Budi15 June, 2010

Hi Jono,

Could you check how long the battery will last if you:
    – Read or view images and ebook
    – Listen to music
    – Watch video

3. Sannie3 July, 2010

Hi I was wondering if you could tell me if this machine does highlighting of the text and memo?

1. Nate the great3 July, 2010

I can’t be absolutely sure, but I don’t think so. highlighting generally requiresa touchscreen, and this e-reader doesn’t have one.

4. rohar20 July, 2010

I bought one last week and so far appears good value.
    It has 3 font sizes, easy to read.
    Screen can be rotated 90degrees
    Music on headphones excellent, from speaker,not very good.
    According to manual it will play music alongside reading.
    Photos, great.
    I have not tried video.
    Sometimes part of word left off at end of line, but no big hassle.
    So far so good, looks like a good buy.

5. Annoyed10 August, 2010

I can access my SD card but when I open some of the folders there is nothing in them and there is as I put the books in myself and they are NOT DRM.

This is driving me crazy

1. Murray19 November, 2013

I have just obtained one of these ereaders and have noticed the same thing, it doesn’t like it if u access a book, video or music from the wrong directory… ie. music through music and books through book etc. if u stick to that then it doesn’t have an issue.

6. dragon4 December, 2010

does this support pdf?

1. Nate the great4 December, 2010

It has basic PDF support, but it also has a 5″ screen. That’s just not going to work very well with an 8.5×11 PDF.

7. Julie19 December, 2010

Does this have the option where the ebook can be read to you.

1. Nate the great19 December, 2010

2. Alan Morley10 March, 2011

Hi Julie, I have loaded audio books on to the Stash, but as you can see from my later post, I can’t insert a bookmark and so have to listen to the whole chapter at a time. Its not too bad as audio books are downloaded in chapters of about 40 minutes.

8. Akasha1 January, 2011

With This Ebook, i have many stories i have gotten online which are now in word format. am i able to put those on the Ebook.

1. Bob2 April, 2011

try saving the word as a pdf if you are using office 2007 or 2010

9. Dave3 January, 2011

To Red and Nat,
    I too have bought books from Borders and can not transfer them to my W950, did you find a solution to the problem, or does anyone else have an answer to the issue.

1. Nate the great3 January, 2011

There’s no solution. It doesn’t support DRMed ebooks.

10. Nadinedee18 January, 2011

I purchased a program that removes the DRM which then enables you to read the books that you have downloaded. It is called PDF epub DRM Removal.

11. Alan Morley8 March, 2011

I’m loving the Stash, but does anyone know how to put a bookmark in an audio book on the Stash?

12. tanya1 April, 2011

hi i have recieved a stash for a present but i cant load on any books could someone help thanks

13. margi13 September, 2011

I have this e reader and it freezes. it reminds me of the days when you had to buy or download updates to make hardware work. it is rubbish. dont waste your money.the best place for it is in the bin.

1. Murray19 November, 2013

A bit harsh, probably wouldn’t buy it new, but second hand on ebay u might get a good deal as have managed to score both one of these and a kindle…kindle is obviously much better as a genuine ereader, but it doesn’t play videos…

14. Sue25 January, 2012

Thanks Nadinedee for your coment. Now have the pdf epub drm removal and can now read my books on my ereader.