How to hack your (black) Pandigital Novel

How to hack your (black) Pandigital Novel e-Reading Hardware Tips and Tricks A few days ago I posted an updated version of  a guide to hacking the white Novel Android tablet. Since then I've been working on hacking the black Novel, and I'm ready to explain how to hack it.  TBH, I don't think you should.

The black Novel runs Android v1.5., which is a rather old version that isn't supported by very many apps. It's also not going to be supported by any new apps, so I think you're better off with some other Android tablet.

Update: If you're looking for the latest firmware update for this tablet, read this post. Much of this post is outdated.

But if you have a black Novel, I'll go ahead and walk you through the steps to hack it.

You have 4 options for the black Novel. There are the 2 official firmwares, the barebones Android firmware, and a hacked firmware under development by a couple members of SlateDroid. If you go with the hacked firmware or the barebones firmware you will void your warranty. But your warranty is fine with the official firmwares.

How to hack your (black) Pandigital Novel e-Reading Hardware Tips and Tricks
click to embiggen

Sidenote: There's actually a fifth option; you can hack your Novel the hard way. But it's complicated and requires a higher level of technical skill so I won't mention it here.

The black Novel has 2 official firmwares because it is being sold in 2 countries (US and Canada). The original firmware was tied into the B&N ebookstore, and since (for the most part) that store is US only, Pandigital had to work with Kobo for the Canadian release.

Update: Pandigital has released a new US firmware for the black Novel. The new firmware turns the Novel into a regular Android tablet. There's no need to hack it anymore.

How to hack your (black) Pandigital Novel e-Reading Hardware Tips and Tricks
click to embiggen

The firmwares are very different. The US firmware is locked down like the white Novel, and it's rather slow. I don't like it, and I said so in my review.

The Canadian firmware, on the other hand, is not locked down. It ships with the standard Android home screen and you have all the basic Android features. This means that you don't have to hack the black Novel, and that's why I recommend this firmware.

How to hack your (black) Pandigital Novel e-Reading Hardware Tips and Tricks

But you don't have to take my word for it. Switching between the 2 official firmwares is easy. I did it 4 times in one evening and each one went just fine.

Here are the links to the 4 firmwares I mentioned in this  post:

US firmware

Canadian firmware

barebones firmware

Slatedroid

P.S. The Canadian firmware deserves its own review, so I will be posting it elsewhere.

1. Michelle20 November, 2010

then have do you switch from one firmware to another

1. Nate the great20 November, 2010

The instructions are on the same page as the downloads.

Copy the DAT file to your SD card.
      Turn off the Novel.
      Insert the SD card.
      Press and hold the power button and up volume button for 5 seconds and then release.

1. Michelle21 November, 2010

is that the file from the Canadian firmware

1. Michelle21 November, 2010

I did the SD copy of the Firmware Candaian and it works
          will I be able to do text-to-speech
          Please give info about apps
          love to here
          whatever I do will it erase if I switch between fireware
          please inform
          thanks again

1. Adam14 December, 2010

Hi, I just did the Canadian version, and it all went well, but i’m still stuck with the barnes and noble software instead of kobo books. Can you lend any help on this?
            Thanks,
            Adam

1. Nate the great14 December, 2010

You should have a Kobo icon on your home screen. Is it not there?

2. person25 December, 2010

I got it for christmas too! It is a major dissapointment. I cannot do anything it said it does. I’ve tried hacking it, WHICH epicly failed. I slide the sd card with the firmware in, turn the device on doing those alternations with the power and + volume button, I see a “firmware” thing flash, but then it just blanks its screen and continues to boot into its os. It makes me so mad, it took me half of christmas day just to get the us firmware update on it, and no change at all. I cannot do videos, no downloading apps, and the pdf/ebook viewer seems to be the laggiest thing on earth, not even worth reading books in. I feel like I can’t do anything productive on this device, you gotta help me some how!

2. Miguel14 February, 2012

It might not be as simple as holding it for 5 seconds. Mine had to be pressed for a bit more. Put your power plug in as it might take a while….mine has been upgrading for about half an hour and it is still going! I sure hope it works…will let you know. I used the Canadian Firmware, btw.

2. Info26 December, 2010

Sorry New to this My 13 year old got one for christmas and before I do this what will I lose and what all will be gained I have read but if all possible is there a list that you can give me. Thank you

1. Nate the great26 December, 2010

Lost:
        Access to the B&N ebookstore

Gained:
        ability to install apps

2. anyman20 November, 2010

any word on getting android 2.0/2.1/2.2 working on the black canadian reader?

1. Nate the great21 November, 2010

I can’t see that anyone over at Slatedroid has tried. Most are working on the white Novel becuase it has the better hardware.

3. S Paixao23 November, 2010

Is there a way to get the android market on the Canadian version of the software? (on the black version) I would really like to be able to get a notepad on my PDN.
    BTW, thanks for the information about the canadian software, I like it much better than the original one.

1. Nate the great23 November, 2010

Only if someone hacks it.

4. typist1 December, 2010

I bought a black PDN in Canada, however all attempts to flash the firmware (with any firmware) have not worked for me.

I get the firmware flash screen showing the progress bar displayed to show completion (goes by too fast <2 sec) and the unit goes dead (meaning it does not automatically reboot)

Restarting the recently flashed PDN shows that the original firmware version: S64N_SLST_KOBO_P1_2010_10_28t
    did not change. This happens no matter what firmware was used to flash the Canadian black PDN.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    TIA.

1. trailerparknick2 December, 2010

i had a pdn that wouldnt flash from the sd card or from the autoupdate on the pdn site it ended up being a bad novel i exchanged it and the new one works just like its supposed to

5. […] few weeks ago I wrote a post about how to change the firmware on the black Novel. Since I now had a new firmware to try, I decided to write a second review of […]

6. pepe7 December, 2010

I’m interested in the Novel for running Droid Comic Viewer (or something else for cbr/cbz files). I’m in Canada and can get the PDN Black for $160 at Future Shop; is it worth it? Or should I try to get a White one from eBay? Again, my main goal is just being able to read comics; anything else is a bonus.

1. Nate the great7 December, 2010

I would try to get a 9″ Novel. I’m a lot happier with it. But if you can’t get the 9″ then you should go with the white Novel, not black. You have a better chance at getting the app to work.

7. CJ10 December, 2010

Is there anyway to get the original operating system back? I’m regretting the android upgrade….

1. Nate the great10 December, 2010

You should be able to reflash with the US firmware.

1. chuffman3 January, 2011

I’m the same way. How do you reflash it?

8. Mike10 December, 2010

I just got the Black Novel that was bought on Black Firday, in the US. Can I change from the US firmware to the Canadian firmware? Is it worth it? And how long would it take?

1. Nate the great10 December, 2010

Yes, you can change. It should only take a few minutes.

1. Mike10 December, 2010

And that won’t void any warranty!?

1. Nate the great10 December, 2010

Switching to the Canadian firmware shouldn’t void your warranty, no.

1. Mike10 December, 2010

Well, its seems like a better system…and the reviews seem better than the US firmware. Thanks for the advice! We will see how it goes!

9. Nanette14 December, 2010

Do you have any hacking info for the new 9″ Pandigital? Also, downloading using a Mac?
    Thanks

1. Nate the great14 December, 2010

You don’t need to hack the 9″ Novel. It’s a tablet.

10. Laura14 December, 2010

I have the Canadian version and would like to know how to import epub books from the SD card into the black Canadian 7″ colour reader. I did have a USA version, broke the screen and it had an “Import from SD card” icon…I don’t see how to do this with the Canadian product I recently purchased, I don’t see it in the new software….could you please help.

1. Nate the great14 December, 2010

You should be able to see the ebooks in the Library. If you can’t, make sure your ebooks are in a folder named “ebooks”.

1. Laura16 December, 2010

Nate, I made sure that the spelling and format of the folder on the SD card was the same as on the internal drive “eBooks” and inserted the card again and restarted the device. No luck. All I see is KOBO or Local for the Libraries……and I finally copied all the books to the internal drive. They are seen from there, in the Local library. They open properly. Photos and Music work properly but the ebooks are not seen on the SD Card. I am wondering if it may have to do with the fact that this card was used in my original USA product? I also used Calibre to bring in the thumbnails and perhaps the Canadian software does not recognize this ? I think I will call the customer service manager…..I have spoken to her before. They are quite nice and try to help, I will let you know what I find out.

1. Nate the great16 December, 2010

It really should be working.

1. Laura16 December, 2010

What would happen if I use the format SD card using the Pandigital Canadian software and start over? I can recopy the info back onto the 16 GB card from my computer without any effort. I just want to understand why it does not see the ebooks in the “My Library”. Under another application I found in the black screen area, can’t remember the name…..I can see the SD card contents, LAN,etc….if I try to open the folder, it shows me the contents with all the books, if I click on a book, it asks me to open as Text or others like video etc… I tried text and it gave me computer garbage…. Is there an android app I can download that would be a Ebook reader to specifically read from the SD Card? Basically a shortcut for reading the SC card ?

1. Nate the great16 December, 2010

I don’t know. You’re having problems that you shouldn’t be having.

2. Dana27 December, 2010

Did you ever find a solution for this issue? We have two PDNs and both devices have the same issue. We must be overlooking something. We have tried epdf, epub and receive the same issues in the ES Explorer that you described. However pictures, music find there way into the correct folders without problems. We are also able to view HTML files without issue via the ES Explorer and we can see all of the ebooks in the ebooks folder on the SD card but they will not open in a text format or appear in My Library in Kobo bookstore. Any guidance would be appreciated.

1. Nate the great27 December, 2010

Other than suggesting that you reboot, I don’t have a solution.

2. Laura29 December, 2010

I was told by Pandigital that I should update the soft ware. I do know that the USA version has an icon you push to read the sd card. They acknowledge this is missing from the Canadian version and are pushing it to the developers. For now just copy books to the internal memory, use the sd card for music and photos. I also think that the name of the card has something to do with the Kobo link in the unit……still searching that…..don’t go back to the USA version…too slow…..I can wait for the fix I,ll try a smaller sd card to see if that will work ….I am using a 16gb now.

11. Joss14 December, 2010

I love this forum.
    I am thinking of getting a Panditigal e- reader –to use as a tablet,great info here guys!!

12. jennifer16 December, 2010

I just purchased a PDN “7 and i would like to download the android software. the PDN website said if you do you will void your warranty and it won’t operate correctly plus you won’t be able to switch back. Is that true?

1. Nate the great16 December, 2010

Yes, installing that firmware will void your warranty. But IMO that firmware offered by Pandigital is relatively safe. I wouldn’t worry.

1. jennifer16 December, 2010

so I’m getting ready to hack my novel and once I do this will I still have my main page that comes with the pdn? how exactly does it work?

13. jen17 December, 2010

will it work if you do it through the novel itself?

1. Nate the great17 December, 2010

It should, but I haven’t tried it.

14. Clint19 December, 2010

Hey Nate , I just did the swap used the PC USB cable route it went through the whole steps, I held the power button and the + key for 5 seconds and let go it started loading showing the progress bar, then it reset but I dont see anything that changed ! Maybe I misunderstood but I thought this update was supposed to let me be able to use Android market place and all that, I still see all the old icons that were there from the beginning. I have the Black novel. What am I doing wrong?

1. Sarah22 February, 2011

Having the same problem? Any solutions

15. adam23 December, 2010

Hey Nate, it looks like this site was down for a while today. All of the replies from the last few days are gone. You left a link for me on here for a Youtube freeware link……….Can you repost the link? Thanks!

-Adam.

1. Nate the great23 December, 2010

Yep, they’re gone. Sorry about that.

The Youtube Android app was from here: http://www.freewarelovers.com

1. adam24 December, 2010

Great, thanks! I don’t know much about Skyfire, do you like it? It sounds like some ppl have used it for Youtube/flash videos on the PDN. I’m not the most tech savvy guy in the world, but i’m definitley going to try to mod/hack/upgrade this damn thing. What’s your 1st suggestion? Firmware? I’d like to get it running a little faster. Thanks again for the help!

-Adam.

16. Justin24 December, 2010

Nate, How do I download apps to my pandigital (black)? I have already completed the hack upgrade.

1. Nate the great24 December, 2010

You look for them online and download them. My 2 favortie sites are Freeware Lovers and Slideme.

The first thing you want is a file manager. I like ES File Explorer (it’s in SlideMe).

17. Adam Snow25 December, 2010

Just got the black 7″ novel for xmas.

This thing is pretty cool, and yet it still sucks so bad.

My main issue is its shoddy PDF capabilities and the stupid B&N store that just isn’t as good as the amazon store.

Is there a way to upgrade the PDF Viewer to a nitro mobile one or something?

1. Chris Neale28 December, 2010

I am also frustrated with the poor PDF viewing. Is there an android app that can be installed on the white or black PDN that will display PDF files faithfully? I can view PDFs with the unhacked version of the black PDN, but some things, like mathematical equations and some images, are horribly formatted by the unhacked PDN although they look just fine on my computer with adobe reader, evince, xpdf, etc.

Chris.

1. Nate the great28 December, 2010
        1. Adam Snow6 January, 2011

Thanks I’ll check those out. Do I have to hack the novel to get them to work?

18. New to tablets; e-readers26 December, 2010

Just got this for x-mas and love it. I will look into hacking the OS with the Canadian version.

Got a quick quest. How do I delete shortcuts on the desktop ? I can only see how to add them ??? Gotta be a way…
    thanks! this site is great !

1. Nate the great26 December, 2010

Press and hold on one of the links. After a few seconds a small box labeled with a trash can will at the bottom of the screen. Drag the link to the trash can and that will delete it.

19. Erin26 December, 2010

Hey just bought one for my husband for Christmas but he can’t get it to read .pdf files from the SD. The US one has an icon to import from SD but the Cdn one doesn’t. Is there a way to get the app from the US one? Or get another .pdf viewer?

1. Nate the great26 December, 2010

It should simply see the PDFs; you don’t have to import the files. Just go to the bookshelf menu and they should be there.

BTW, it’s the same reading app and library on both firmwares.

20. […] as well, I have issues with the slatedroid and trying to install the canadian firmware as well How to hack your (black) Pandigital Novel But here is what ive done so far Installed Youtube : YouTube-v13.apk Installed Opera (browser) : […]

21. mar26 December, 2010

I just want to know how to watch youtube videos on it? do i have to completely change the software?

22. david26 December, 2010

Hey Nate I switched to the canadian version just fine but when i went to switch it back to the us it changed from kobo to b&n but i still have the android interface is there a way to get the original interface back. thx

1. Nate the great27 December, 2010

That’s odd.

I don’t think you successfully installed the US firmware. I’ve installed both versions, and the US one always had the correct interface.

23. Santa27 December, 2010

Ok, I’ve read the previous questions. Once I do the swap to Canadian software, it takes away B&N and replaces it with Kobo. Can I add others like Amazon? I’d like to be able to download books from several sites to get the best prices. Thanks for doing this Nate. You’re off the naughty list!

1. Nate the great27 December, 2010

You can try adding the Kindle app (or others), but I had trouble getting it to work.

24. Chris Neale28 December, 2010

Thank you Nate for the link to PDF readers. Your video including Aldiko was very useful.

Another question: Is there any functionality of the hacked white 7″ PDN that is not available in the black 9″ PDN (other than cost)? It appears that I can install apps such as Aldiko on the black 9″ out of the box.

I returned my black 7″ a few days ago and am trying to decide between the white 7″ and the black 9″.

Chris.

25. smartin15228 December, 2010

Is there anyway possible to get the Android App Market or AppBrain to work on the 9in Novel? Is there a hack to make that happen? Thank you.

1. Nate the great28 December, 2010

I don’t know that anyone has worked out a hack yet.

26. Van28 December, 2010

Just got a black PDN, I tried to log on my Hotmail but couldn’t. I followed your intructions to switch to Canadian version but still failed in access to Hotmail. Can I use Hotmail with PDN? Pls advise.
    Thanks

1. Nate the great28 December, 2010

I have no idea. You really need to ask Pandigital.

27. James29 December, 2010

How did you switch between the two the firmwares so easily?

I’m having problems doing it(CA to USA). I think it’s because they dont have SD CARD installation for the USA (black) novel.

1. Nate the great29 December, 2010

I copied the firmware to the SD card and it just worked.

1. Sean30 December, 2010

I can’t switch back to the U.S. version after trying the CA version. The utility on the website for updating downloads the FW for the white novel. After searching I found that there is no FW to download for the U.S. black model.

1. Nate the great30 December, 2010

There _was_ a firmware for the black US version. Apparently it’s not there anymore.

1. Sean30 December, 2010

Do you have a copy of the black US version? If so can you make it available for download?

28. New to tablets; e-readers30 December, 2010

Hi, Do I understand correctly , we can’t get the Canadian FW for the black pandigital’s anymore ?

Also, Nate, I am having trouble downloading a jpg file from my e-mail. It says download failed, any ideas ?? I just opened my e-mail was able to see the thumnail of the picture, I saw there was a download bar, which I clicked, then it gives me the download history screen, and my download states “Download unsuccessful” . Not sure what I am missing.

BTW: as you see by my first statement, I haven’t hacked my black pandigital yet. But I honestly love my US black version. The apps, it came with are what I really wanted, web browser, e-mail, contacts, calendar…, reader great!! I copied other epub files onto my pandigital, so I bypassed b&n , only thing is my “thumbnails” don’t seem to be recoginized, I just see the title of the books I copied that way. not sure how to get the book covers… no biggie really… 🙂

I am a UNIX / Linux person, have been for years, I like the ES File Explorer, not sure what all I can do with the pandigital un-hacked, neat to go into all the folders, system and otherwise…
    Do you recomend getting up to speed on the Android OS ? would that help ?

anyway, thanks for all your help, and again, I love your expertise, users guide offers, little, but unit is somewhat easy to figure out.

Thanks

1. Nate the great30 December, 2010

No, it’s the US firmware that is missing at the moment.

2. New to tablets; e-readers30 December, 2010

update, I saved the jpg file from my e-mail and I see it copied it into my Gallery , so that issue is solved… YEA !!

Not sure what types of apps are out there that my black pandigital can run, I see your opinion on re-flashing the OS to the canadian version, but not sure if its worth it to me. I like what I see so far LOL , aside from missing the standard solitare, games…

anyway, wanted to update you on my download issue.. any other comments on changing the FW to the open Canadian version, would be appreciated….

Thanks

29. New to tablets; e-readers2 January, 2011

Hey Nate,
    do you know why I can see jpg files in /system/media/sdcard/Photos directory, but I do not see all of those jpg files in my Gallery ??

thanks

1. New to tablets; e-readers3 January, 2011

hum, have been playing a bit, and it looks like if I delete the pic. from the gallery, the file still remains in the sdcard/Photos dir ?? I’ll do some more playing to see if this is the case. In any event, I am able to download the pics. from my computer (by dragging the file into the photos dir) and then can see them in my gallery .
      On another note, i am thinking of getting a Samsung Fascinate phone with Android OS . wonder if I can copy my contacts and calendar file onto this new phone…wonder if they use the same APPs for those. the phone has Android 2.1 …

30. moosejoose3 January, 2011

I’m having an issue trying to get the candian firmware..it only allows you to download through the pc installation method ..and it doesn’t seem to work ..always gets hung up on the serial number portion…is there any way fro me to find the firmware without the computer installation way?

1. Nate the great3 January, 2011

I don’t have a copy. Check over at SlateDroid.

31. Nate the great3 January, 2011

No, I don’t think it will the firmware will be updated to v2.0.

But you should be able to add new reading apps once you find and install the CA firmware.

32. New to tablets; e-readers3 January, 2011

Hey Nate,

Do you know what folder the pandigital saves the people I add to the contacts app ? It has to be saved somewhere

thanks

1. Nate the great3 January, 2011

33. khepri5 January, 2011

I just got a pandigital novel, i know nothing about it, I tried the canada firmware, and it doesn’t seem like anything different. I oly got one book, but that was a sample, i don’t have a credit card so I can’t do B&N and idk how to find what was downloaded because nothing will show up. please help me understand it more x.x.

34. Dave5 January, 2011

I ran the Canadian firmware update from the pandigital site on my 2gb BPDN and it still boots up with the US firmware. Looks like the US and CA firmware files are exactly the same size, strange. Whats the deal.

35. turnema9 January, 2011

Hello
    Can someone tell me how to download my music from mt SD card to my black pandigital and be able to hear the music.

36. Phil15 January, 2011

Hi,
    I have a Pandigital black, but was not satisfied with the US firmware I had.
    I successfully switched to the canadian firmware after reading this post.
    But still, it is not fully “android-like”. I am having troubles installing some apps.
    So I am wondering:
    – is the barebone firmware closer to android?
    – if I install it, is it reversible?

Thanks

1. Nate the great15 January, 2011

The problems you’re having are because the black Novel runs Android v1.5. A lot of Apps prefer 1.6 or above.

If you go with the barebones install you will probably have the same issues with apps.

1. Phil16 January, 2011

Ok. Thanks for your reply.
        And have you tried the Slatedroid solution?
        Is it worth it, and is it reversible?

1. Nate the great16 January, 2011

I double checked and so far as I can tell the slatedroid firmware is also based on v1.5. It won’t help much.

37. Meagan17 January, 2011

Hi, I downloaded the Canadian Firmware, but I can’t get apps to work.
    When I clicked the link you provided with the firmware, I was brought to a PC application in which one downloaded, I needed to connect my Pandigital to the computer and have it install an upgrade. Once I downloaded an app, it said “The application XXX has stopped unexpectedly”. Why can’t I get the apps to work?

Thanks,
    Meagan

38. Meagan17 January, 2011

Just a quick update from my last comment, the hardware that me Novel is running is “RD101-2GB-W” and it’s a 7″ black one.

1. Nate the great17 January, 2011

Pandigital have replaced the firmware file with an executable. Most people have trouble installing it.

You’re going to have to complain to Pandigital.

39. JP17 January, 2011

I did the Android hack and now I can not find a kindle app or the reader for B&N that was on the Pandigital reader. I have files and it says to go to 91pandahome which seems to no longer be up and running.

It also says open a command prompt and navigate to this folder. Type in this command: adb install (file_you_want_to_install).

it was all here http://the-digital-reader.com/2010/07/12/hacking-the-pandigital-novel-video/

40. Momo22 January, 2011

Hello, I recieved the Pandigital Novel 7″ for Christmas and am having some problems with it. I am unable to reach Pandigital support, so hoping you can help. I am unable to do the firmware upgrade, it will not accept the serial number. (live in Canada). Also, I have the sd card loaded up with epub and pdf files, but the novel is unable to read them, and they do not show up in the library at all. The covers do show up in the gallery, and the files show up in the es explorer, but when I try to run as text, I get an error. Hoping you can help ….

1. Nate the great22 January, 2011

If you can see ES File Explorer then you don’t need to do an update. You have the latest version of the firmware.

As for why you can’t read the ebooks, what error do you get, exactly?

41. BBC023 January, 2011

We have a black Canadian model and cant download purchased books from Kobo. Using wireless, the downloading bar just flashes and dl never starts. I tried downloading to my pc and the dragging the book across which seemed to work but I got a “fingerprint mismatch” error. Can anyone help please?

42. AnthonyRox1 February, 2011

43. New to tablets; e-readers10 February, 2011

just wanted to comment on my black pandigital.

got it for x-mas and on Dec. 25th installed the software it recommends doing right away. The US version I installed .

I noticed I had the ES File Explorer app, along with many other apps. (nice)

I also recently noticed, without doing any hacking at all, just installing the latest firmware from 12/25/10 , I am able to install other apps (granted they have to run on a android 1.5 v.) I am also able to download other epub books thereby bypassing B&N .

This is a great tablet and I am very happy with it.

44. dunlbk18 February, 2011

All I see is the dowload firwares for the 7″. Will that work on the 9″ as well?

1. Nate the great18 February, 2011

There is no firmware for the 9″ Novel.

45. DONTERRRIOUS22 February, 2011

can i update my black pendigital novel 2gb

1. Nate the great22 February, 2011

I’ve heard a bunch fo complaints lately about the update process. It appears to be broken at the moment.

46. Zack3 March, 2011

you’ve probably had the question four hundred thousand times but… i’ve got the Canadian Black novel and I installed the update using their ‘net connect’ software. The update installed without issue. My question is, is there any way to move this sucker forward from android 1.5 to froyo?

1. Nate the great3 March, 2011

Not until someone hacks a version that will run on the black Novel, no.

47. Redhen11 March, 2011

Hi Nate,
    I have rooted the Coby with sucess, My brother wants me to do the same to his Pandigital Black. If I understood you correctly, there is really no need to do because of new firmware update at Pandigital site. So install the Canadian (unlocked) update ver on the Black one?
    Thanks for your help

1. Nate the great11 March, 2011

You can install any version. They’re all open now.

1. Redhen11 March, 2011

48. Jerry Freeman14 March, 2011

I have a pandigital Novel model PRD09TW-R90l200 Is there a update for it. or how do i get the apps to install?

1. Nate the great14 March, 2011

Nope. There’s no update available for the 9″ Novel.

49. Ross9 August, 2011

Hi Nate,

Hopefully simple question. How would I access an html file on the sd card from the browser using a factory black pandigital novel? I’ve tried file:///sdcard/test.html and it didnt work.

Thanks,

Ross

1. Nate Hoffelder9 August, 2011

I would have thought that that file path would work.

Perhaps you could try to access the html file through a file manager.

50. pofhjfa17 August, 2011

how can i turn my pandigital planet into an android tab with market acess
    please someone help

1. Nate Hoffelder17 August, 2011

The Planet already is an Android tablet. I can’t help you with market access, though.

51. David24 September, 2011

Got one as a gift but I would not get the pandigital. There are so much better tablets out there.

52. Jim Mooney24 November, 2011

I can read PDFs on my SD card, but epubs fail. I’ve tried with the office suite, the explorer, and as HTML, which some browsers will read. Black 2 gig model

Office Suite > Memory Card > ebook > epub folder says “no supported files” and a blank screen.

Oddly, File Explorer sees them but if I click an epub I get a different fail message. Okay it didn’t fail the second time I tried it, but the only reading option, Open as Text – delivered gibberish. It’s just reading the text code, not really as an epub.

It doesn’t seem to recognize the epub handle, although the advertising says it does.

1. Jim Mooney24 November, 2011

One other thing. It’s annoying you have to download the adobe reader software. I have a hard line at home and can download it to the PC, but I don’t have a router right now. Is there any way to install the adobe reader from a PC file? I know I can xfer it, to where. And the problem with the dumb adobe reader is is then requires activation, which again, requires the tablet be online. Adobe makes it’s reader hard to use, that’s for sure, but I never liked their pdf reader, either, since it takes forever to load. I use PDF x-change.

53. Shannon26 December, 2011

Can someone tell me how to download kindle to a pandigital novel

1. Nate Hoffelder26 December, 2011

You cannot install the Kindle a on the black Novel; its running a version of Android that is so old it is incompatible.

54. ziah26 December, 2011

Hey, can I downoad it staight from my pnd black7inch? I don’t have a pc…

1. Nate Hoffelder26 December, 2011

Yes, but you’ll need to find it online. I’m not sure where the updates are kept any more.

55. John Licoski26 December, 2011

i downloaded the pandigital novel.upgrader file off of the canadian link and it stops responding in 10 minutes before completing the update. Also the firmware name is the same as the one on my novel. can u please give me some installing instructions.

56. Jolene28 December, 2011

I am trying to upload the canadian firmware but i keep getting an error message
    “Error while reading Pandigital Novel information.
    Error Message: Could not lad file or assembly
    ‘System.ServcieModel.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral
    PublicationKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    Error Defails: System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
    File name: ‘System.ServiceModel.Web, Version4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’
    WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\software\microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to1

HELP! pLEASE!

1. Jason29 December, 2011
  57. nick30 December, 2011

Can I get the android market to work.on my black pandigital novel??

58. jem9 January, 2012

ok, so my volume buttons are hot keys now for navigation. how do i adjust the volume.

1. Nate Hoffelder9 January, 2012

It’s under the settings menu.

1. jem9 January, 2012

thank you! thought i had looked everywhere

59. Juliette10 January, 2012

I need help rebooting my Android Panditigal novel, please I have tried everything

1. Nate Hoffelder10 January, 2012

Press and hold the poer button. A menu should appear and give you the option of rebooting.

If it doesn not show up then holding the power buton wil eventualy force the tablet to shut down.

60. Deborah10 January, 2012

How can I download andriod 2.2 to the panditigal 1.5 so that I can access the andriod market. Thanks for your help in advance Nate.

1. Nate Hoffelder10 January, 2012

You cannot install Android v2.2. First someone would have to develop the firmware and no one has.

1. Deborah11 January, 2012

Thanks for the update. After installing the CA firmware will I be able to get the market

1. Nate Hoffelder11 January, 2012

If you install the update mentioned here, you’ll have Android Market:

1. Deborah11 January, 2012

61. Deborah11 January, 2012

Thanks for the update.

62. Bryan Wood2 April, 2013

I cannot get mine to update

63. Karin8 November, 2014

I have the black 7″ tablet purchased already as an android. I loaded all my different picture folders on to the integnal memory. No specific location. Everything was fine then the tablet stopped recognize them in the gallery. They were there in the file manager. So I deleted them all and started again. This time creating a Photos folder since there was never one when I got it. That did not help. Did it again but with only 2 album folders and it seems to be ok but when I added another folder they disappeared again. I have alot of free internal space left. The manual says that the pics have to be in a Photos folder but can I have different albums in there to organize them? And why does the gallery keep losing my pics?

1. Nate Hoffelder8 November, 2014

I can’t answer specifically for your older version of Android, but in my experience the one folder that will usually be recognized is the one named “DCIM”.

64. Jackie Ramirez8 December, 2014

Yep. I got a black pandigital tablet and I lost the charger to it. Blah blah blah anyways I forgot the password. And I had many password and have tried literally 100 times so far. (yikes!) so thanks anyway.

65. margot douglas26 July, 2015

thanks it actualy worked, thanks

1. Nate Hoffelder27 July, 2015

Great! I’m glad it helped.

66. Richard Reed6 April, 2016

These Firmwares are no longer available does anyone have a copy they can make available I would like to Canadian version

1. Nate Hoffelder6 April, 2016

Richard, you need to go to this post and follow the instructions. That post has a firmware you can install.