PogoPlug just cut the cloud storage market off at the knees

PogoPlug is a company, service, and device. The service just got a lot more useful for a lot more people.

The device is a small computer that starts at around $99. Plug USB drives into it and you can use it as a file server. Give it an Internet connection and you can then use the PogoPlug service to access those files from anywhere in the world.

PogoPlug announced a new app for OSX, Windows, and Linux today that does away with the need for the device. Got a spare computer? Run this new app on that computer and you now have a content server. You have your own cloud storage which you can access from anywhere you have a web connection.

I know stuff like this has been available for Linux for some time now, but it was intended for the Linux geek, not the average user. This is very exciting. Why pay Amazon $1k a year for a terabyte of storage when you can build your own RAID for half the price?

via Pogoplug

1. Ric Day14 April, 2011

Sweet! I have something like this on my home office Linux server, but the maintenance is a time sink. I think I will set aside some time this weekend, dig out a spare server box, and see how this works.

Thanks for the heads up!

2. elmonica14 April, 2011

I used CC file transfer for this purpose a couple years ago:

Before that, I setup an FTP server using one of the Windows operating systems-maybe windows 2000 professional or server.

Now, I only have occasional need to access to my hope computer so I use RealVNC.

3. Jeff14 April, 2011

Why is this exciting? I don’t get it. It’s called a web server: You run it on your PC and point it at the tree of files you want to be public. Ta-da, your files served to any web browser.

4. William Walsh14 April, 2011

Also, the free version only streams files within the local network, not from outside the home network.

1. Nate the great14 April, 2011

That’s not what the site says.

1. William Walsh14 April, 2011

Just to be clear, I’m talking about streaming media like the Amazon Cloud service supports. And you do have buy the premium service for this.

Other than that, it will serve regular files to download to the device and then open normally in whatever file explorer you use. It’s almost on par with dropbox’s official app as far as how it handles that.

5. William Walsh14 April, 2011

Actually I just tried streaming a video file to my tablet connected to the local network and it didnt allow that either, said I needed to upgrade to premium.

1. Brandon C14 April, 2011

The Premium version allows you to stream to mobile devices. That is why you got the message to upgrade. Try it on a computer not a mobile device.

1. William Walsh15 April, 2011

Yeah, more concerned with mobile device access here =) It would be the only application I have for it.

I don’t see it as replacing offsite cloud services for backup because of that first word, “offsite,” being vital in my opinion to a true back up system.

I do like the plug type devices, and I see a big future for these types of low powered arm based systems, and am excited to see the innovatins being done with them.

6. Laura14 April, 2011

But cloud storage provides a remote backup of your files.

7. Mike Cane14 April, 2011

The point is this: If the government wants access to *your* cloud files, they have to serve *you* with a search warrant, not Dropbox or Google or Amazon or Apple.

1. Mike Cane14 April, 2011

And GAH! I just noticed Opera is not listed in browsers supported. Grrrr.

8. Cherie14 April, 2011

What if you want to destroy a file? What safeguards do you have that it isn’t backed up somewhere else with cloud storage? Problem is–you don’t. It’s always safer keeping it on your computer so you know that there is one copy and you have control over it. HomePipe is a cloud storage alternative that offers greater protection, security and privacy. Try it free at www. homepipe.net.

1. Brandon C14 April, 2011

Cherie,
      It appears that you are promoting HomePipe. Although it’s a great program you are wrong in worrying about your files being backed up.
      You should probably learn more about the Pogoplug software before you post uninformed info.

2. William Walsh14 April, 2011

*sniff* smells like spam

9. TC15 April, 2011

I like the fact I no longer have to pay for web hosting now that I own a PogoPlug,I made a website that completely runs from my PogoPlug
    And I didn’t have to hack or modify the device to make it work,This device is simply amazing.

1. Moriah Jovan2 July, 2011

I think I love you.

10. […] by Nate Hoffelder · No Comments · opinion // A few months ago I posted about the new free Pogoplug service, and how it let you create your own file server on a PC. I liked the idea of controlling my own […]

11. […] solution of all, though, is to do it yourself. There are a number of programs available, such as PogoPlug, which make it easy to set up your own cloud-drive that you can access from anywhere. A lot of NAS […]

12. […] Apple appears to have pushed Google out of the ebookstore.  Kobo released an updated app with no buy link.  Google is randomly deleting Google Plus accounts.  Yet another ebook format has been announced.  I’m getting pretty fed up with the powers that be who run the ebook world.  The biggest weapon that readers have in their arsenal is the ability to decouple.  This means taking your books out of the cloud (the servers of Amazon, Apple, Google, BN, or Kobo) and putting them into your own cloud.  You can set up your cloud for free using open source programs and a free account at dropbox.  (alternatively you can create your own syncing system by using alternative systems discussed on Lifehacker or this great device which I am going to check out called PogoPlug). […]