2 New Boogie Board writing tablets coming soon & another this Fall

Improv Electronics have updated their website today with a couple new Boogie Boards. The Boogie Board, an 8" digital sketch pad which launched last year, now has some company.

First, it's getting a 10.5" big brother, and it has all the same features with 50% more screen. The other model (at right) has the same 8" screen as the original and is designed to fit in a 3 ring binder, and I'm sure it's going to be a hit this fall. They're going to ship in July, and you can pre-order now.

There's also going to be a  model due out this Fall, and it will add a feature that I've been wanting ever since the Boogie Board hit the market last year. It's going to let you save the screen contents, rather than simply erase them.

The idea behind the Boogie Board is that you can write, draw, or scribble on it with a stylus or your finger. The screen will hold the contents without using electricity. When you're done writing, you click the erase button and the screen is cleared (this part requires electricity). It's something like a high tech etch-a-sketch.

Improv

1. Sweetpea9 June, 2011

Both boogie boards are still working perfectly, otherwise that one that allows you to save your scribbles would be nr 1 on the to-buy list!

We bought some magnets for one and stuck it on the fridge. It’s a perfect quick shopping list item gatherer….

2. Void9 June, 2011

I am not terribly interested because the erasure is all-or-none. I ALWAYS use pencil or whiteboard because I spend a lot of time going back and fixing minor issues, particularly with math. Having to erase everything makes it pretty useless for what I would use it for. Call me when I can fix my sign errors without clearing the whole screen.

1. Nate Hoffelder9 June, 2011

That would be nice, yes.

3. Jaxs9 June, 2011

I couldn’t find this information into the specifications of the official web “It’s going to let you save the screen contents, rather than simply erase them”.

1. Nate Hoffelder9 June, 2011

That’s because I asked them in an email.

4. Jaxs10 June, 2011

Ok, but I suppose they should announce this important improvement.

5. sarah1191810 June, 2011

Jaxs: the info can be found in 2 places right now.

From their FAQ:
    24. Will a save function be added to the tablet?
    Yes, a Boogie Board tablet with save capabilities will be available for purchase in the fall of 2011.

From their twitter account (just 16 hrs ago):
    The Boogie Board tablet with save capabilities will be available this fall. We will publish more specifics about it later this summer.

It’s not prominent on their website, but the information is clearly correct. If I were them, yes I’d make a big announcement because this is huge (the only reason I didn’t buy the original), so I agree with you there. But at least we know the info is accurate. 🙂

6. Kevin Groce10 June, 2011

Hope the also means the Noteslate is not vaporware.

1. Nate Hoffelder10 June, 2011

that’s a different company.

7. […] first Boogie Board was launched in January 2010. Two models have just recently been released, and a 4th is scheduled this fall. […]

8. […] is marketed by Improv Electronics. it’s doing so well that it even got a couple new models about a month ago. Another new model is coming this fall, and it should let you save the screen […]

9. […] · No Comments · hardware news // It’s only been a few short months since Improv Electronics launched  new Boogie Board models and today they’re ready to unveil their new and improved […]