Amazon Drops the Price of the Kindle Fire HD (32GB) to $229

Amazon Drops the Price of the Kindle Fire HD (32GB) to $229 Amazon e-Reading Hardware It looks like sales of Amazon's pricier 7" Android tablet isn't meeting their expectation. I've just been told that they have dropped the price. You can now find the KFHD with 32GB for a mere $229. That's $20 less than it was yesterday, and only $30 more that the base KFHD model.

This is not good news for Amazon, and it is also bad news for everyone else. Assuming that this price sticks around, Google, B&N, Kobo, Samsung, and most other tablet makers will have to drop their prices as well. The Kobo Arc and Nexus 7, just to name a couple examples, are priced to match the KFHD. Now the 32GB models will have to get cheaper otherwise the KFHD will look like a better deal.

Assuming this price is permanent, this will be Amazon's second major price cut on their new hardware. The price of the KFHD 8.9 was dropped by $100 just under a month ago.

Amazon

source

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader:He's here to chew bubble gum and fix broken websites, and he is all out of bubble gum. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills at the drop of a hat. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. fjtorres11 April, 2013

Much like the earlier price cut on the larger models, this one brings things where they belong; an extra 16GB shouldn’t cost $50.

2. Robert Nagle11 April, 2013

I think you forgot to mention that this is OUTSTANDING news for consumers.

3. ucfgrad9311 April, 2013

Is the Kindle Fire GD a new model? :p

1. Nate Hoffelder11 April, 2013

Yes. It’s GooDer that the KFHD>

2. Andrys11 April, 2013

I think it’s code for Nate’s real but shortcut thoughts on the price drop: It’s GD!

I must admit, that’s what I thought for sure when I saw the new pricing in the horizontal strip in the wee small hrs. It bothered me that people were spending quite a bit to just get the 16GB one.

– A, known today as ‘source’ 🙂 w/thanks to Nate

4. Thomas12 April, 2013

Of course, this is still paying $30 more than the standard version, for $10 worth of memory.

5. […] del Kindle Fire HD 7″ non soddisfino le aspettative di Amazon che, stando a quanto riporta The Digital Reader, ne ha abbassato il prezzo. Ora, su Amazon.com, è possibile acquistare il Kindle Fire HD 32GB a […]

6. Alexander Inglis12 April, 2013

I bought the Google Nexus 7 8 GB model (the day it as released) and was a bit worried that I’d be limited without 16 GB or higher. But, I use it every day and, with cloud storage, I’ve just never actually needed more memory. Nice to have for insurance, sure: but in practice (for me) not needed.

I don’t see price drops of consumer computing hardware as a “bad thing” for the vendors. They continue to gain from economies of scale and continual competition among suppliers of parts which drives prices lower. The implication, I think, is that “Oh, no! Amazon is over-stocked!” but it’s also quite possible they are simply passing along savings in order to maintain marketshare without taking a hit to profits.

7. fjtorres12 April, 2013

They could also be taking advantage of the seasonality of their products; charging a tad more when everybody wants them and ratcheting the price down when they don’t.
    I wouldn’t assume Amazon has a big overstock problem until they starting doing BOGO’s or paying bounties… 😉