I Already Pre-ordered the New Nexus 7 at Best Buy

I Already Pre-ordered the New Nexus 7 at Best Buy e-Reading Hardware  It's still 3 hours until Google's event today in San Francisco and the cat is out of the bag. Google's new tablet is up for pre-order at Best Buy.

Knock me over with a feather. Did you know that Google was going to unveil a new tablet today? I didn't know.

Is anyone planning to buy the new Nexus 7? I am, and I just pre-ordered it.

As much as I like my Kindle Fire HD, I am also in need of a tablet that can be used for non-Amazon stuff.  The KFHD is a decent media tablet but when it comes to things like email, news reading, web browsing, or pretty much anything that depends on Google's notification system, the KFHD is simply too dysfunctional.

The Nexus 7 also has the hardware I need. I don't care either way about the CPU speed, exceedingly high screen resolution, or pretty shell. The most important details for me are the front and rear cameras (and the fact this tablet is running full Android).  The 5MP rear camera makes the new Nexus 7 the large-screen camera I want. (Yes, I am one of those tablet photography weirdos.)

Here are the specs:

• 7 inch, 1920 x 1200 pixel display
  • 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core CPU with Adreno 320 graphics
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB to 32GB of storage
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
  • 5MP rear camera and 1.2MP front-facing camera
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and NFC
  • SlimPort (with support for video output)
  • 7.9? x 4.5? x 0.3?
  • 11 ounces

Best Buy

1. ucfgrad9324 July, 2013

Not a bad device, but the top and bottom bezels are what, 5″ inches thick. Ruins the look for me.

1. Sweetpea25 July, 2013

The same here. I do like the specs of it, but the looks will make me never to buy it…

2. Bob24 July, 2013

The Google website has it for less $, but the specs don’t mention a rear camera.

1. Nate Hoffelder24 July, 2013

I think Google is still showing the old Nexus 7.

3. kurt24 July, 2013

and still no memory card slot
    makes it pointless for me

1. Nate Hoffelder24 July, 2013

This doesn’t bother me as much as it used to.

4. cookie24 July, 2013

“The 5MP rear camera makes the new Nexus 7 the large-screen camera I want”

If that is the case, are there not other 7 inch tablets that would fit the bill, such as the Hisense Pro?

1. Nate Hoffelder24 July, 2013

Yes it would.

5. Syn24 July, 2013

the original kindle fire was a nightmare to hold for me. I was always touching the damn screen because it didn’t have much of a side bezel. Screw the look, I like the thicker bezel for function. I hope Amazon keeps the Bezel on the new Fire’s this year.

Nice screen on the Nexus Nate. I can’t wait to hear what you think about how text looks. I bet its really sharp.

6. Ronald Scourfield25 July, 2013

I only use my tablets for reading and watching my own video, and an occasional check of email, so I have no need of a new tablet, although I am always tempted. Still, I agree that a commitment to a memory card slot from one of these companies (I bought a Nook at its recently reduced price and find that feature fabulous) would earn them all my business from now on. None of these new features would convince me to upgrade without that.

7. JDO25 July, 2013

Wow, say what you want about the specs and price, but the Nexus 7 is one ugly looking tablet!

I prefer my beautiful new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 with a 5MP rear camera and up to 64GB memory card slot, weighing in at a slim and thin 10.9 oz.
    It’s a beautiful thing.