There have been a spate of tech horror stories over the past few weeks about Apple products supposedly harming/maiming/killing iThing owners. Another such story crossed my desk again today, and it is as infuriating as the last.
It's from the UK, and I found it on the iDownload blog:
A story out of the U.K. this morning could have been more tragic, and as it turned out, the events still left a father's fingers burned. Eight-year old Chloe Gillooley owns an Apple iPad. Nothing unusual about that. After all, many children these days own a tablet and a smartphone. Last Saturday, Chloe was at her grandmother's home in Widnes, Cheshire along with her 34 year old dad, Tim.
At some point in the afternoon, Chloe asked her dad to unplug her iPad for her. Tim, who was coming out of the bathroom, received what was described as a "massive electric shock" that sent him flying across the room and left him with blackened fingers. The scariest part of the whole ordeal for the dad came when he realized that the severity of the shock probably would have meant death for his daughter, had she been the one who was hit by the electricity.
Apple is investigating the claim and has requested that Gillooley send them the remains of the charger. The incident has left this U.K. family wary of touching their Apple products. "We were big fans of Apple but I won’t let my daughter near her iPhone if it’s a ticking time bomb," Gillooley said.
The thing is, it was the charger that exploded, not the iPad. And it wasn't even Apple's charger. Yes, all this hoopla is focused on Apple when the fault was caused by a non-Apple product. And I can prove it.
Update: A couple readers have pointed out that the UK version of the iPad Mini does indeed ship with a charger that looks like the one that exploded. You can even see it in an unboxing video, so it looks like in this case I may have been wrong. In my defense, let me point out that in the US the iPad Mini ships with the square charger shown at center. I've never seen an alternate charger.
Here's the charger that exploded (left), and next to it are the official Apple chargers for the US and UK:
Do you know what bothers me the most about these stories? It's the factually incorrect attention grabbing headlines.
None of the headlines at right are even close to being accurate.
In all of the stories mentioned at right the problem did not involve an Apple charger. In fact, every Chargergate story I have found involved a 3rd party charger, not an Apple product. And yet Apple is always mentioned in the headline - just for the clickbait value.
I suppose most of my readers already knew the truth, but the latest story today got under my skin. It clearly involved a 3rd part charger and yet Apple gets the blame.
image by Freidwall