Amazon is Testing a New Manage Your Kindle Page

Amazon has been using the same webpage design for the Manage Your Kindle page ever since they launched the Kindle in 2007, and it looks like they are finally ready to give it a facelift.

A Kindle owner over at MobileRead has discovered that Amazon is testing a new version of the page which combines the device and content management into a single page which should prove easier to use. I haven't seen the new page yet, but AnemicOak has posted a screenshot:

Amazon is Testing a New Manage Your Kindle Page Amazon Kindle

As you can see, there's a menu bar for managing your Kindle apps and devices, and below that there is a section for managing your content. That is a radical change from the old design, which split the content and devices onto multiple pages and featured a text-based lists of items which had to be managed one at a time.

One lucky Kindle user reports that:

One can select as many books as one wants and then take one action for all the selections. That part is new.

I don't know about you but I found the old design to be deeply frustrating because I could only interact with a single item at a time. This made it much more difficult to manage my Kindle account, so I generally avoided using that page unless it was strictly necessary.

So has anyone seen the new page yet?

I have not, but I can see a slightly different version. And I can also report that there is confirmation coming in from Twitter (here, here). Here's what I see when I go to the manage my devices page:

Amazon is Testing a New Manage Your Kindle Page Amazon Kindle

I'm pretty sure that what you're seeing is not the final page but a misplaced component for that page. That menu bar is probably going to have the a manage my content section below it (that's what the first screenshot suggests, anyway).

It's my guess that Amazon is rolling this new updated page out to a few users at a time. I'm still waiting to see it myself, but I have found a screenshot on Twitter which shows that the new page might also feature a list view:

Amazon is Testing a New Manage Your Kindle Page Amazon Kindle

So has anyone seen the new page? What do you think?

MobileRead

1. Caroline16 January, 2014

I’m seeing the new page. It’s great. Love the big cover view and the fast scrolling. You can multi-select and delete books in one fell swoop too! Let me know if you have questions and I’ll see if I can test-drive it for you.

1. kaye11 June, 2014

I see the new page, but the item tha says deliver is not inbold, so I cannot use it. Now what

2. Common Sense16 January, 2014

I’m still seeing the old page, but have been seeing the new look of the Manage My Devices page for a couple of weeks.

It’s about time! I’ve complained regularly about how tedious it is to manage ebooks. The page was left behind web design standards a long time ago.

3. cookie16 January, 2014

There should be a frickin easy way to know what samples you have downloaded to your devices.

4. Jesslyn H16 January, 2014

I haven’t seen it, but I welcome any change. I have over 100 ‘pages’ of items and its impossible to navigate. In addition, the Amazon Kindle app on my Nexus 7 is slow and laggy, which makes it impossible to work with and in my library.

1. Nate Hoffelder16 January, 2014

Same problem here. I don’t have more than a few hundred titles but the old design is so clunky that I simply cannot manage my library.

5. Alexander Inglis16 January, 2014

I can see the new page and interact with it at amazon.com but my library was transferred to amazon.ca last year which is currently showing the old text based interface. So … dual citizenship? LOL!

6. Void16 January, 2014

Still waiting for organizational access to the library database file to allow calibre to automatically sort items according to the extensive sorting I have set up in that program already. Not interested in redoing all that work, and anyway this doesn’t let you organize multiple items all that easily form what I can see.

7. Linda16 January, 2014

It looks user friendly and is a long overdue. This change makes it easier to download multiple books and also delete multiple books at one time. Hopefully it will help the kindle owners who have huge archives and are currently experiencing problems.

8. stephan16 January, 2014

I am seeing it, it’s much, much, better. The funny thing is I wrote to Amazon a couple days ago suggesting that they develop a “manage my kindle” page based on the kindle cloud reader, and then today I have access to the new manage my kindle page, which is more or less exactly what I wanted.

9. Alison17 January, 2014

I really dislike the new page. I don’t like the huge covers. I don’t like all the graphics. At least there is a list option which is better but I don’t like having the stuff split up by type (books, audiobooks, personal docs, etc.) – I preferred one list even though I do have a huge list.

10. Amy17 January, 2014

I’m really unhappy with the old page (I haven’t seen the new one yet) so I’ve trying to find alternative tools to manage my library. I’ve been using Calibre for a long time. But I’ve recently come across Unioncy, that automatically creates a digital catalogue of all my Amazon books (and everything else that I buy there) just with the receipts in my email. Seems to be quite helpful to me. I’m curious to hear if anyone else has tried and can share their experience?

11. Mary18 January, 2014

So I take it you do not have to see your library as book covers? That would make me bonkers. Does it split up your Audible books from other audible content, I hope? My Audible content is currently useless because MYK insists on listing every single daily issue of the NY Times Audio Digest going back to sometime last summer. This subscription has been stopped for some time and Audible claims to have deleted them all, but Amazon shows a new one each day. Consequently I have to wade through all of those non-existent items to see my Audible books.

12. Chris18 January, 2014

I had it on my computer for a while this evening, but when I refreshed the page, it came back out the old way.
    The new layout (for me) seems to be slower than the old one, but I like the fact that you can delete more than one item at the time.

13. Nastassia Leslie20 January, 2014

Opened the page on two different windows, and I got the updated one and the old one. I hope they included managing collections in the library in the new update! It’d be easier to manage it on the desktop/MYK page than the Kindle itself.

14. Teri26 February, 2014

I have had the new manage your kindle page twice now and lost it again. If it wasn’t so awesome I wouldn’t care if it was gone again. I really do love it but it is so frustrating to have it and keep loosing it. The Amazon people tell me they’re still working on it (since January 15). I hope they get it up and going soon. I think they should have waited to give it to people until it was closer to being done. I love Amazon and think they’re the best…..but come on!

15. Dom Finn20 May, 2014

Ah this can’t come soon enough for me. I have so many bit and bobs on my kindle that’s it become completely unmanageable!

16. Mike Hartley26 May, 2014

New page is difficult to use would prefer to have the old one back!

17. Teri11 June, 2014

I absolutely love the new page but not quite as much as the one where the colored book cover showed up first. ANYTHING is better than the manage your kindle. You keep trying to improve things and for that I say “thanks”!

18. bob kawalec10 August, 2014

Looks nice but doesn’t work. I can make selections but nothing happens…

19. Debbie Durham24 September, 2014

I hate the update . I can see my book titles and is it I have to keep pushing buttons to find and read my book

20. Ann Wooldridge23 May, 2015

From what I have seen I don’t like the new page. I want to return an ebook to the library. It doesn’t have that on this page. It has a delete book on here. That doesn’t say that this returns the book to the library but deletes it