Barnes & Noble Now Issuing Refunds for the eBooks Antitrust Settlement

Amazon mayBarnes & Noble Now Issuing Refunds for the eBooks Antitrust Settlement Barnes & Noble have been the first ebook retailer to issue a credit for ebooks purchased during the agency era but they're not the only to do so.

B&N has also started sending out emails, notifying customers that they are now a member of the moneyed classes.

Like Amazon, B&N is issuing a store credit to its customers. Any B&N customer who has bought an ebook published by Hachette, HarperCollns, Macmillan, Penguin, and Simon & Schuster between 1 April 2010 and 21 May 2012 should be getting an email.

Under the terms of the refund agreement, customers will be getting a minimum of $.73 for each Agency ebook they bought during that period. If a title hit the NY Times best seller list then the customer will be getting $3.17.

The credits being issued by B&N come from the same pool of money as the credits Amazon was issuing yesterday.  Both are funded by the $166 million settlement that Hachette, HarperCollns, Macmillan, Penguin, and Simon & Schuster paid to the DOJ when they settled the antitrust lawsuit which was filed in 2012. It's been over a year since the last publisher (Macmillan) settled, but these things move slowly.

According to the official antitrust settlement website, Google, and Sony will be sending out checks rather than issuing store credits and Apple will be issuing a credit in iTunes. It's not clear how Kobo is going to proceed, but the website did note that smaller ebook retailers will also be sending out refund checks.

I didn’t buy very many agency priced ebooks in this period and I didn't buy any from Barnes & Noble, so I have not received a credit. Did you get any money from B&N?

image by 401(K) 2013

1. Chris Meadows26 March, 2014

The announcement email offered a way to check and see what amount you’d get. I checked and found I’m coming in for $2.19 for three non-NYT-bestseller books.

2. flyingtoastr26 March, 2014

BN sent these emails out yesterday, but way to plug for daddy Bezos.

1. Nate Hoffelder26 March, 2014

LOL And here I thought I was cutting Amazon down by pointing out that they got attention based on their showmanship, while boosting B&N up by giving them their own post.

Thank you for setting me straight on this failed attempt to be even-handed.

1. KateS26 March, 2014

Honestly, I have to agree with the comment. Absent your explanation, it reads at the very best as a backhanded compliment.

1. Nate Hoffelder26 March, 2014

In that case, let me see how I can rewrite it.

3. Juli Monroe26 March, 2014

Well, the backhanded compliment wasn’t completely without merit. Amazon has actually given me my credit. B&N has just sent me an email saying I’m going to be getting it. Until it’s actually in my account, as far as I’m concerned, it isn’t real. However, I’m supposed to be getting about $30, which is more than I’d expected. Turns out 3 of my purchases had been NYT best sellers.

1. Nate Hoffelder26 March, 2014

Oh, so Amazon is giving credits while B&n is giving promises? That is a nuance I had missed. Thanks!

1. Juli Monroe26 March, 2014

Apparently some people are receiving emails indicating their credits are active, but I haven’t yet been so blessed.

4. Mik Finkel27 March, 2014

One of my nook accounts got a $22 refund and another account got a $2 refund. During this time period I bought no kindle books. I bought a tom of Fictionwise books. As far as I can see I am not getting a Kindle credit. In the 1st couple of years all my eggs were in the nook basket. Lately with the tablets and Kindle app, not so much. BookBub is really spoiling me with free and 99 cent books. Mostly Kindles.

5. Lioness199928 March, 2014

I got the email as well, yet to receive anything from B&N still waiting even though they stated it was to be done over a course of three days.

6. Mik Finkel28 March, 2014

I spent my $24 in the store. I bought the blu tooth nook keyboard. Very nice!! Goes great with my blu tooth mouse I got fro Daily Steals.

7. Jerome sass29 April, 2017

How do you claim credit b&b doesnthe honor email mail notice?