After much thought, I have chosen a radical solution to the ongoing access issues my site has been suffering for the past few days.
I’ve moved The Digital Reader from 1And1 to MediaTemple. They have a decent reputation, don’t appear to engage in astroturfing or have fake spokespersons, and MediaTemple offers a $30 a month managed WordPress service. That last detail means they (hopefully) know more about WordPress than me.
But TBH the first reason I chose MediaTemple was that they offered a $150 service for having a tech move the site for me. Yes, I was that desperate, but luckily I didn’t have to pay the fee; MediaTemple’s automated functions moved the site just fine.
It only took 24 hours from setting up an account to getting the site moved over and fully operation on their servers. (And that includes 6 or 7 hours I spent sleeping, as well as waiting for tech support to tell me that they had an automated process for moving a WordPress site.)
Aside from 5 or 6 lost comments, I seriously doubt anyone will notice that I moved (or so I am hoping). This post is part of my testing the new site to make sure it works. Let’s see what happens.
P.S. Ask me in about 6 months what I think of MediaTemple. Today it is too early to say.