Amazon has released an update today for the Kindle Voyage, the Kindle (2014), and the second-gen Kindle Paperwhite (but not the Paperwhite released in 2012). I haven’t had a chance to test all of the features, but the changelog says that the updated added:
- Support for Family LibraryWith Family Library, you can link two Amazon accounts and share books on your Kindle Voyage and other compatible Amazon devices and apps. To learn more, visit About Family Library.
- Support for Kindle FreeTime UnlimitedKindle FreeTime Unlimited is an optional monthly subscription for Kindle FreeTime that offers thousands of books for children ages three- to eight-years-old.
- Word Wise – See Hints for Difficult WordsWith Word Wise, you can see simple definitions and synonyms displayed inline above more difficult words while you read. Word Wise makes it easier for readers learning English and kids reading their first chapter books to understand challenging books more quickly.
- X-Ray ImprovementsExplore the “bones of a book” with an improved timeline and the ability to browse images and filter by Notable Clips.
- Deeper Goodreads IntegrationGoodreads on Kindle makes it quicker to access and update your reading status and adds the ability to preview and purchase books without leaving Goodreads.
- Periodical ImprovementsYou can access up to 40 magazine back issues from the cloud on your device. Multiple issues of the same periodical are now collected together.
The update should be pushed out to Kindles over the next few weeks, but if you don’t want to wait you can install it manually. Simply download the update from Amazon, copy it to your Kindle over USB, and then unplug the USB cable. The Kindle should recognize the update and install it (you will need a charged battery, of course).