If you own an iDevice then you've probably noticed that Apple has been stuffing its mobile devices with more and more bloatware: apps which you don't need and cannot remove.

I've certainly noticed the problem on my new iPad; in fact, I have a screen-full of apps which I mostly don't use:

Poll: Do You Have a Folder on Your iPad or iPhone for Useless But Unremovable Apple Apps? What is it Called? Apple surveys & polls

To be fair, I do use four of the 5 apps on the bottom bar, but I don't use the rest of the apps very much. And in the case of the Apple Watch, Newsstand, Maps, Contacts, Calendar, Photos, and Clock apps, I don't use them ever.

Luckily there is a solution. Earlier this evening a tweet came down my timeline with a fix which is both simple and completely effective at reducing the clutter:

iDevices have supported folders since iOS 4.2, but I'm embarrassed to say that I never thought of using them this way. (In my defense, my previous iPad didn't have nearly as much bloatware.)

So tell me, do you have a folder set aside for Apple's bloatware?

If you're going to create a folder right now, click yes. And if you're not sure how to make a folder, you can find instructions on about.com.

And do leave a comment with the name you put on the folder; my folder is named "Useless", but I'm looking to give it a different name. Perhaps I will call it "Tim Cook's Ego", or some such.

[poll id="4"]

image by docentjoyce

1. Jessica18 April, 2015

I have mine labeled “Extensions”. I keep apps that I use for widgets, extensions, and third-party replacements for Calendar/Reminders/etc, at the front and everything else at the very end. That way it doesn’t look like I just stuffed the extra stuff in there.

2. Peter18 April, 2015

I call mine “Crapple”, keep it tucked away in a corner of the third screen where I rarely see it.

3. W18 April, 2015

I’m with Peter. I call mine Crapple. I suppose it isn’t totally useless because I do chuckle at my own cleverness every time I see that folder.

4. Karl18 April, 2015

Yep; I just call my folder “Unused”; not as clever as “Crapple.” Wanting to get this annoying junk off my screen (or at least the closest permitted thing to off my screen) was my first motivation for learning how to create folders on my iPhone.

5. rui18 April, 2015

Not just apple but all the others as well, for BlackBerry its shit berries, for android is hemroids

1. Nate Hoffelder18 April, 2015

LOL, hemorrhoids. I’m going to use that as the name of an Android bloatware folder.

6. moom19 April, 2015

Just a folder titled Utilities. A simple solution to an annoying problem.

1. Felipe Adan Lerma19 April, 2015

Same here, includes some non-Apple specific apps I don’t use but don’t want to give up yet.

7. Pal19 April, 2015

I call it ‘AppCrap’. Surprised when people love iOS and praise it like sheep , still no one opposes Apple’s bullying behaviour.

8. R. Scot Johns19 April, 2015

Quite ironically I’ve had a folder on both my iPads called “Bloatware”. I have one on my Android phone as well.

9. vorpal19 April, 2015

Yup. The folder is called Junk. Not so original. It sits on a page all by itself so I never have to see it.

10. Robert Barnett19 April, 2015

“Junque”.

11. Juli Monroe19 April, 2015

Stuff I Don’t Use

12. Will Entrekin19 April, 2015

I just file them into various other folders. Music and Podcasts goes into Entertainment, Reminders, Notes, Calculator, and Contacts all into Utilities, etc.

13. JEN19 April, 2015

Simply “iCrap”

14. BeeTee-Ess19 April, 2015

Like @Vorpal, I have a folder all by itself on and extra page that never gets accessed, right at the end. Unimaginatively, I have called it Miscellaneous.

15. BeeTee-Ess19 April, 2015

I’ve been thinking since I posted the previous message, the folder serves no real purpose. I have just taken the apps out of the folder but kept them all on the last page, which, as before, is never accessed. Should I ever wish to change my mind about any of them, there they are.

1. Nate Hoffelder19 April, 2015

TBH, I’m too lazy to move the icons (or rather, I don’t know an easy to move them). All of Apple’s apps were taking up the first page of my iPad, so being able to hide them was quite nice.

16. Ally20 April, 2015

“Can’t Delete” 😀 nothing outrageously clever there but it works

17. Loïc20 April, 2015

As a frenchie, mine is named “Poubelle”, the glorious name of the inventor of the trash bin, Mr Eugène Poubelle, which nowadays just means garbage can in French.

1. Anthony20 April, 2015

I Love this, heading to google to read up on Mr Eugène Poubelle

18. Kit20 April, 2015

You do realize you can move things off the bottom bar, right? I swapped out about half those apps for ones i use more often. And you can put more than 5 apps there too.

19. Fr. Ignatius20 April, 2015

It is called “Extras”. Fairly useless apps that I can do nothing with. Game Center, Newstand, Stocks, Tips, Health and Videos. I wish I could just Delete them. Oh well.

20. SMEKINGZ9 September, 2015

Mine’s called “useless shit”

21. Gina, a book dragon18 July, 2017