Kobo started rolling out a new firmware update this week. Update v3.16 is not available for all Kobo devices, and according to the discussion thread over at MobileRead it has been made available for the Kobo Glo HD and the Kobo Touch.
Like most updates, v3.16 adds a couple features and fixes a number of bugs. The initial report says that Kobo added a new Wifi menu, a new search option, and (on the Kobo Touch) a new UI.
The new search option is perhaps the most interesting. In addition to the existing "Bookstore" and "Library" searches, readers can now also search all annotations and the dictionaries. They also have the new option of searching in the last 5 ebooks they opened (now that is nifty).
Kobo should be pushing out the update over the next few weeks. If you don't want to wait, you can find the update over on MobileRead.
- Design Updates: Your Kobo Touch now features the new look and feel of the Kobo eReader software.
- Search Improvements: You can now search current reads, annotations, and dictionaries more easily
- Quick Wi Fi Settings: Tap the Wi Fi icon in the status bar to access the new Wi Fi menu.
Some smaller changes that were included and mentioned in the betas were:
- Improved ‘Related reading’ tab on Book details screens.
- Renamed ‘Document Default’ font to ‘Publisher Default’.
- Improved EPUB performance – I can’t comment as I didn’t see the performance degradation that some others saw with 3.15.0.
- Improved hyphenation handling – kepub and epub and should improve all languages.
- New checkout flow arrives for Kobo Touch.
- Fixed some timing issues in which the device could stay in a black-and-white-only mode instead of greyscale.
- Re-enabled image/PDF zoom on non-Aura devices.
- Pocket: End-of-article dialog text cut off.