Uncle

Uncle blog maintenance Web Publishing I give in. This blog is once again The Digital Reader.

About 6 months ago I had the bright idea of changing the name of this blog to Ink, Bits, & Pixels.

I like the name and I thought that it better described what I wanted to cover, but I can't actually get anyone to use it. Instead, time and again I see people referring to my work by the old name.

Call it what you will (inertia, cachet, ingrained behavior, ?) the old name had too much weight for me to change.

Do you know how in January you continue to write or type the previous year? Picture that, but with a name that has been around for 5 years. That's what has kept happening over the past 6 months, and today I am throwing in the towel.

This blog is now The Digital Reader again.

P.S.  I think my biggest mistake was in not building a new site with a new name and then moving there. That could have provided the break needed to get everyone to use the new name.

P.P.S. While we're on the topic of names, I'm switching back this Thursday night because I also just revived and started setting up a Tumblog for The Digital Reader (I'm on 4 social networks now - 5, counting Myspace).

P.P.P.S. And as for you folks who dropped the Oxford comma from Ink, Bits, & Pixels, I have made a list and handed it over to The Grammar Nazis. They will be arriving shortly.

1. Al the Great and Powerful9 July, 2015

And there was much rejoicing!

1. mieiri10 July, 2015

It is a better name for sure.

2. George9 July, 2015

To be honest, I never actually noticed you had changed the name of the blog.

3. Anthony9 July, 2015

I’d thought about changing the name of my blog, but got too many people stating they’re used to or actually like the current name. So, uh, “Anthony’s Notes” it stays…

4. DaveMich9 July, 2015

<—- prefers Digital Reader.

1. Nate Hoffelder9 July, 2015

I would go for Digital Reader but I can’t secure the domain. That’s why I have the “The”.

5. Mackay Bell9 July, 2015

I think it was the two commas and “&” that did it in. It took too much extra thought to type it out. Plus and extra word? How much time do you think we have. You might have gotten away with Ink Bits.

I like The Digital Reader. Sounds more upscale. Good decision.

6. nancy9 July, 2015

Don’t care what you call it, as long as you use the Oxford comma. With love from someone who reads ink, bits, & pixels… but mostly digitally.

7. fjtorres9 July, 2015

New Coke vs Coke Classic.

1. Tim Wilhoit10 July, 2015

The first time I got on Nate’s renamed blog, I don’t recall snarling, “Why does this remind me of RC Cola that’s been left open for three hours!” 😀

The biggest problem I had with the new name? For the life of me, I could only remember the “bits” part. Sorry Nate, it just wasn’t catchy (for me, anyway.)

2. BillSmith10 July, 2015

My thoughts exactly …

Or Star Wars prequels vs. the originals.

The Digital Reader is an established brand name with solid equity in the field.

And the new name — it was just too complicated for me to commit it to memory.

I hope you’re happy with staying with the original name … I personally like it a bit better.

8. Michael Anderson9 July, 2015

Holy crap you’re ruining my life! 😉 My RSS feed still has T-D-R, so for me it was all about the content anyway 🙂

9. IrishImbas9 July, 2015

Must admit, when using a different computer I’ve inadvertently searched under TDR.

10. Thomas10 July, 2015

Well, the link in my bookmarks always said “The Digital Reader”, so I barely noticed the change anyway.

11. Robert10 July, 2015

Good move. I sometimes quote you on my blog and I never remembered the exact new name: Ink and what? The Digital Reader is short and concise, while it may limit the scope to readers only, I do not mind it.

12. John Biggs10 July, 2015

LOL. I completely forgot you changed the name and I kept calling it TDR. I think you should just stick with it, man.

1. Nate Hoffelder10 July, 2015

I saw that yesterday. yes.

13. Moving, new name, ads, it wouldn’t matter. You’re The Digital Reader. You could make the “Inks, Bits and Pixels” a subtitle.

1. DebbyS10 July, 2015

I agree with Maria; I thought that, too. “The Digital Reader” is more descriptive, while “Ink, Bits, & Pixels” is more fun and should remain part of the site. When you changed to the new name and url, I just changed my link, no problem. Now I’ll change it back and continue to visit.

14. Juli Monroe10 July, 2015

Sorry, but Hooray! The Digital Reader is so much easier to type, although I tried very hard to remember to use the new name in TeleRead Morning Links. But it was hard. 🙂

15. Frank10 July, 2015

You are right that the URL would need to be changed to have the old “new” name stick. Anyway, The Digital Reader covers your content better.

16. Felipe Adan Lerma10 July, 2015

Welcome back 🙂

And grammar nazis should take notice, the public decides the rules, not a tiny segment of it. Which is not to say we shouldn’t have rules and/or guidelines, just that folks in general decided them in re to language.

1. Nate Hoffelder10 July, 2015

… the public decides the rules …

That’s why I changed back.

17. Go Set a Watchman - Link to free excerpt TeleRead: News and views on e-books, libraries, publishing and related topics10 July, 2015

[…] the way, it’s indeed The Digital Reader once again—not Ink, Bytes and Pixels. Thanks, Nate. TDR is much easier to remember even if the newer […]

18. […] vollzogen. „Ich geb’s auf. Dieser Blog heißt jetzt wieder The Digital Reader“, schrieb er gestern. „Ich mag den neuen Namen und ich dachte, er würde besser die Themen beschreiben, die ich […]

19. Chuck10 July, 2015

WHOOO-HOOOO!!! Balance has been restored to The Force.

20. karen10 July, 2015

Either blog name works for me… I keep coming back for the quality content. Thanks for the interesting articles!!

21. Syn11 July, 2015

I liked Digital reader best, Nate.