Silk Web Browser Updated With New Look

Amazon's Fire tablet weren't the only tech to get a refresh today; the retailer has also released a new version of its Silk web browser for Fire tablets.

Update: Amazon officially released a new version of Silk in early December.

There's been no announcement from Amazon, but earlier today Fire owners on MobileRead and elsewhere started reporting a radical new look for the Silk web browser. The black and dark gray color scheme is gone, and in its place you'll find a new white and light blue-gray theme.

It looks like this:

Silk Web Browser Updated With New Look Fire Web Browser The Fire Phone has not received the update, but given that it already had a very different interface that is to be expected.

I have not had a chance to use the new Silk much and report on the differences, but Amazon says that they've made it more convenient to add and find bookmarks. The new version of Silk also better supports having multiple tabs open at once.

I think the second new feature could refer to the way that tabs now scroll off the left and right edges of the screen. I do believe that's new, although I can't confirm that first hand (I never had very many tabs open in Silk).

Have you found anything new?

What do you think of the change?

Edit: Many readers are unhappy with the change, but alas Amazon has nor provided a reversion option. Have you considered one of the alternative browsers? Firefox, Opera, and Dolphin can all be installed on the Fire tablet.

1. fjtorres17 September, 2015

I’d rather they improved speed and stability.
    Especially under low storage space conditions.
    As is it is as bad as Chrome.

2. Verticallabret18 September, 2015

Can no longer maintain what links show on home screen, shows a hodgepodge of recent links. I do like that bookmarks are easier to find. The full screen features is great for the things it recognizes as a video. No longer remembers to keep pages in desktop view and toggles on mobile view when I leave the page.

3. Dianne Hendrigan18 September, 2015

The new update is horrible. How can I get the old one? I cannot use this, it’s awful.

1. Nate Hoffelder18 September, 2015

It is very different, I agree. And I’m not sure it’s better.

2. Paddy Ennis9 March, 2016

Agree 100%!It is slower on my favourite website and seems to freeze or take ages to change pages. Given the choice I would go back to the previous setup.

4. Neil19 September, 2015

The former layout of Silk was excellent, because its black background with white text fitted and complimented the whole Kindle Fire hdx design in a most stylish manner. The white & grey text layout seems rough and basic and does not look pretty at all. It makes me want to search for other Kindle-friendly browsers that pay more attention to aesthetic. Whatever the functionality improvement, I chose Kindle Fire hdx for its stylish and refined looks. Silk’s new update is not an improvement.
    Bookmarks are maybe a bit more accessible, but I liked the full colour mini-icons of my favourite pages. Listen to your customers, Amazon/Kindle, or they will find better substitute browsers.

5. Barbara19 September, 2015

ALL MY TABS ARE GONE!!! GRRRRRRRRR NO IMPROVEMENT :o((

6. Merk19 September, 2015

OMG, Save to Reading Listing button has dissappeared…How can I Save it?

1. Nate Hoffelder20 September, 2015

I don’t know. I can’t find the option either.

7. Cecilia21 September, 2015

I hate this new update. I am finding it incredibly hard to save images just to send one to my friend. I have to go into the actual page where the image is, and even then when I try to save it from there it doesn’t show up in my saved photos. If anyone else is having this problem and/or knows how to fix it, please help me. And this problem just came with the update.

1. James1 March, 2016

I’m having a similar problem. When I got the updated I was excited to see what it’d be like. Truly disappointed with the photo albums. I went to my downloads and saw that have of my picture didn’t show up or were covered by an x. Every time I ‘re download the picture OR download new ones, they also will be deleted I am annoyed by this and would like Amazon to fix this.

8. Bryan22 September, 2015

Yes, it seems they removed the feature where you could save an image from a website by “long touching” it and then selecting Save Image from the pop up menu. Very aggravating.

1. Nate Hoffelder22 September, 2015

I see an option for “download image”. Is that the same thing?

9. Timothy Wilhoit22 September, 2015

“I see an option for “download image”. Is that the same thing?”

Yes, it works the same as “save image.”

10. Dude24 September, 2015

What happened to “Find in Page” in the 3dot pop up menu where Share is?? How can you remove such an important feature?? Other than this, it seems like a faster stable upgrade with better video playback.

1. Nate Hoffelder24 September, 2015

It’s gone, darn it.

Why is Amazon making this browser so much less useful than before?

11. Greg tutmarc24 September, 2015

I hate the new silk update…..my formerly very stable kindle has now become a nuisance as it freezes all time and the only way to fix it is with a reboot which never was needed previously ……is there a way to go back to the old version? This new one is not worth the hassle and was obviously not well tested before it was forced on all of us

12. Cathy24 September, 2015

Is there a way to set bookmarks to display by title (like they used to)? I find it terribly annoying to select this option every time. I much prefer the old Silk version. Please don’t be like Microsoft – new versions annually so our operating systems quickly become obsolete.

13. Cathy24 September, 2015

I also agree with Greg. Since the update, my Kindle HDX freezes and must be re-booted multiple times during each use.

14. Mona24 September, 2015

I want to add my name to those who hate the new silk update. Please reset pronto.

15. Kj25 September, 2015

There used to be a left AND a right arrow on the right hand side of screen.

What happened to the right arrow?!!!!

I do not like the change or the new look. I want the option of undoing it.

16. Jo Hutchings26 September, 2015

I can’t find the full screen option have they done away with it or hidden it somewhere, also have to keep reversing to desktop as everything comes up mobile now. I hate the new version and want the old one back. Seriously thinking of ditching Kindle now and getting something else.

1. Nate Hoffelder26 September, 2015

The full screen mode is just one of the features that disappeared, alas.

17. Cheryl Aghabekian27 September, 2015

I too hate the new Silk browser. Now my Kindle HDX freezes up and web pages are slow to load. This is not an improvement!

18. Denise29 September, 2015

I despise the new update also, I have never had my kindle freeze up constantly until the new update, I have maydayed twice, they only do a refresh…, then the problem continues… I asked if I could get their update removed, they said they could not remove it…from a former lover of kindle, now thinking of Apple iPad, with reader app….help, if anyone can tell me how to remove the update?

19. Jerry Braho30 September, 2015

I hate the update. It looks like I will now get rid of my kindle fire and maybe get an iPad.

20. allan30 September, 2015

ta talked to amazon via mayday re my kindle fire hdx they took away the reader but they are going to return it he said it will be improved he could not give me back the old browser the bookmark thing is worse its a downgrade not an upgrade to me can someone tell me what is IMPROVED

21. allan30 September, 2015

I am considering getting the 10 inch fire now not so much

22. Neo5 October, 2015

I don’t know why everyone hates the new update. I personally love the new look of silk. Not to mention how much faster it is now. I also don’t know all these reports of freezing. My kindle never froze once since the update, but from the sound to it a majority of them are. Well for those of you with freezing problems, I would recommend just getting a new kindle. And if that doesn’t fix it, just get a new tablet altogether. I don’t know how to help you with that one.

23. Lynnneez8 October, 2015

I also haven’t experienced any freezing, but I immediately noticed how much faster the new browser is. It’s very minimal, which is keeping with current aesthetics so tech sites love the update. The only serious issues I see with it are lack of “find in page” and reader view. Those two are key features and I can’t understand why they would ever remove them.

24. Bill8 October, 2015

Not to just march along with everyone else and say I hate this version. But I can’t help myself. I hate this version.

25. Pauk9 October, 2015

I dont like the new update. Its missing to many features, like save to reading list, i cant find image search, going straight to mobile sites even though i’m requesting desktop sites. Its definitly a downgrade. I cant see any improvement in speed and the layout looks so basic and tacky

26. Anthony16 October, 2015

I loved it…but then it was accidentally deleted.. now it’s back to pre update status. 🙁

1. Nate Hoffelder16 October, 2015

How did that happen, I wonder?

27. Stephanie4 November, 2015

I can’t stand the fact that there is no more full screen, I use full screen to read a lot and now it really bothers me to see other open tabs at the top of the screen while I’m trying to read something online.

28. Nick21 November, 2015

Silk browser update sucks…
    Just a piece of crap my kindle freezes so many times.
    I think i will just get rid of my amazon kilndle

29. Jim18 December, 2015

New update looks terrible, can we have the old look back? Haven’t got to the point of it freezing yet but the previous comments are hardly inspiring. Can’t see why they would change the aesthetic so drastically, just looks depressing now.

30. Tara19 December, 2015

I just received the “new” update this morning. I can’t believe my open tabs are gone. They were there. Now they’re gone that quickly. I remember better with what pages I need to go back and visit with open tabs rather than the Bookmarks page. Next year, I’m seriously thinking of getting an iPad Mini after this. When they need to have updates (ex. tumblr), they don’t. If I see the tumblr app with grandpa telling me this app is old and needs to be updated one more time, I’m gonna scream. Yet, Amazon goes and do updates that isn’t the best, and nobody really wants.

31. Rufus the Dog19 December, 2015

Well…. this is shit… seems change for change sake – I work with software guys who will change things just because – A bit like never finishing a work of art

32. Bobby Q Smith19 December, 2015

Hey”Rufus the Dog”… don’t you reckon another thing that goes in these (common sense) morons head that causes these unnecessary upgrades is their “because we can attitude”. Bezos probably figures that if some don’t like…. tuff shisky

33. Rhazya19 December, 2015

The new icon for Silk is hideous. I’d say the speed increased a hair for me, however I have a rather old Kindle Fire HD.

34. Hannah19 December, 2015

I hate the new update! It seems way harder to use than the last, and all of my downloads have become out of order.

35. Gabe Fortress19 December, 2015

Youtube vids r messed up they have a fuzzy image and a static area on the far right

36. Lettie19 December, 2015

I have just had silk browser update and it horrendous. I feel as though my Kindle Fire has been ruined. I can’t watch videos they keep stopping or not loading. I can’t send emails to trash without opening them. I am really disappointed.

37. Fofo19 December, 2015

ALL OF MY BOOKMARKS WERE DELETED. I am devastated. I had some very important things bookmarked an I can no longer find them.
    There is also no full screen.
    This version is painful for me to look at
    Next time before updating, could you please ask! I love the previous version
    Please help

38. Jim19 December, 2015

Downloaded files aren’t sorted by date/time or anything else I can see; I have to scroll though th list until I find what I just downloaded. That’s the worst thing for me, but I prefer the old ‘look’ and there was NO advance notice (I don’t read the Amazon blog every morning…).
    This sort of thing makes me feel my next tablet will not be an Amazon product.

39. Tobias20 December, 2015

Hello amazon tell me how to get the old kindle browser back, specially the way face book showed up in the android mode and not this desk top mode, please I want my face book showing up like before, how can I undo it.

40. Autism Mommy and Amazing Son20 December, 2015

My 9 yr old son has Autism. His favorite tablet for research has been his Kindle. With the stupid changes made to silk…menu icon and functions gone or difficult to navigate, no automatic google account sign in, grey and white colors making it harder to see or needing to eat up battery by modifying brightness, ugly icon that looks like a failed ‘Safeway’ idea, no warning especially considering ‘change’ can be very hard on some very amazing people and finally, no option to change it back if we liked the other version better. Not even in the app store searching browsers.
    In this case it’s not if the bike works don’t fix it. with the Silk Browser changes it’s if the bike works, destroy it.
    Hey Amazon, perhaps you shoul use real customers like those commenting here, those who buy Prime, those who are loyal, etc…to test major changes?
    Why take away options to CHOOSE WHICH SILK VERSION WE PREFER?

41. pat20 December, 2015

New silk is crap

42. Bill20 December, 2015

I will no longer use Amazon fire kindle. The new silk browser is so so bad. It would be easier to throw the kindle in the trash than use it. So goodbye kindle that I used to love it is a useless desk weight now. What idiot decided this update should be fired after beating.

43. Steve21 December, 2015

Update has reduced my kindle to a crawl. Other apps no longer work since upgrade and it freezes constantly

44. Jelly21 December, 2015

Can no longer access my work website – just a blank screen comes up. What am I to do?

1. Nate Hoffelder21 December, 2015

First, reboot the tablet, and try Silk again. The clear its cache and stored data.

If that doesn’t help, you’ll have to install another browser. Amazon doesn’t make that easy.

45. Jan21 December, 2015

My Kindle has just been taken over my aliens! What are they doing? I just bought myself iPad Air which is far superior, but also still use Kindle because I have, or should I say, “had” great fondness for it, till now! Hate new Silk update forced upon me, so sadly, will no longer use the Kindle I loved. IPad Air, way to go.

46. Simon Woodall22 December, 2015

Why “fix” things when they ain’t broke. My kindle was a gift and I’ve loved using it (as it was) ever since. If you don’t provide the option to revert back to the original silk browser I think I’ll go buy a different tablet altogether.

47. Kathryn22 December, 2015

I hate it! Keeps freezing, never had any problems before!

48. Prudence22 December, 2015

My Kindle Fire won’t play Facebook you tube videos and sometimes freezers. The old browser didn’t have lose issues.

49. Sandra28 December, 2015

Since silk browser update. No longer have download folder. Lost all downloads for past few years. I loved my kindle, but now will have to consider a different tablet. Such a shame.

50. Jan29 December, 2015

I hate the new update, I can no longer use the search the web feature at the top of the screen because it just freezes since the update. Anyone else having this problem?

51. Sam16 February, 2016

I’ve used the old version until now and it was going pretty well until the update. I mainly use silk for youtube and now the full screen button doesn’t work…. I’m not sure that it’s my kindle or its the update… it’s now 2016 13th February… any clue?

52. Don17 February, 2016

Who was the genius who decided to change the keyboard, and to move the back space key from the right side to the center? Hate it!

1. Nate Hoffelder17 February, 2016

No clue, but a lot of us aren’t happy about it.

53. Blackie517 February, 2016

It seems that most here haven’t heard of a browser from Google called Chrome.

It works much better than Silk

54. Mary Ash18 February, 2016

The new Silk update is bloody awful I hate it on mine the page has gone small spread it out and you cant see most of page its not improved it Its gone from GOOD to PATHETIC

55. Geoff18 February, 2016

Hate the new format for silk

56. Richard Johnson20 February, 2016

I hate the new Silk. Amazon/Kindel should offer an option to re-install the old version. Starting to think I should have bought an ipad.

57. Fia20 February, 2016

I seriously hate this new Silk !!! The gray color just depresses me,now who ever thought of this must have been having a bad day,very gloomy. I WANT MY OLD SILK BACK PLEASE !!!!!

58. PersonII21 February, 2016

I have found a way to go back to the old browser. From the app store, download ES File Explorer. On the left, press Library, then App. Scroll to find Silk Browser, and long press it and press uninstall. It will revert to the original version.

1. Nate Hoffelder21 February, 2016

Thanks for the tip!

Edit: That didn’t work for me on my $50 Fire tablet, but it did wipe my history. Caveat emptor.

59. Shawn forbes28 February, 2016

I agree hate it,, it freezes up, I git no right arrow such stinks,, please go back to regular version,,,

60. Rick9 March, 2016

Another update nobody likes, how can I sign up for their focus groups. Missing the mark drastically. Took me days and still trying to utilize as I once did. Took care of some OS issues, my kindle still turns itself on after shutdown,killing battery.
    Customer service a joke.

61. Sofia11 March, 2016

I hate the new look,seriously this gray is depressing !!!
    And my bookmarks had color pictures,which I loved and was easier to find recipes I’d saved. How can I get my older version of silk back ???

62. Leah Holloway17 March, 2016

horrible!!!! is there NO other option? Time to throw out the kindle fire????? Why don’t they ask the CUSTOMER what they want????”’

63. Holly5 April, 2016

I regret that I found this post so late, as I would have loved to be the first to complain. I used my Kindle a lot more for online before they crippled Silk. Bookmarks may be easier to add, but I’m lucky if I can get the list to load, any searches, including just a history list rarely respond the first 3 times. The browser has become so inept and annoying that I have simply left selections “in the cart” even when notified as such by email. It has me back to just using my Kindle fire for reading while I listen to my child’s constant lament that the browser on hers “KEEPS FREEZING AND IT DIED AGAIN!!!” Toss – Thump.

64. Gary2 May, 2016

I want to use my Kindle to browse but Silk is the worst. Crashes constantly. I hate it. I hate Amazon because they won’t fix it. I know they can they just won’t.
    I like my Kindle for everything except browsing. I tell everyone not to buy a Kindle because the browser is so bad. Great reader but dont but it to browse.

65. EffSilkNow19 January, 2017

Too much shxt to list thats effed up now. Pretty much everything. When the older version was completely perfect. And never had problems with anything since 2011 when I first started using it. You tube videos now say your browser does not support any formats. Only plays certain you tube videos instead of all of them. History lists the same website 5 10 15 times in the same minute with no title to tell if youre deleting the right website. No check and delete in the History. Just delete. So I keep accidently deleting websites I don’t want to. No image preview for downloads and bookmarks. I used the image of the site its a lot faster to see if it was the right site to pull up or delete. No paste and go. No non fullscreen mode. I never use full screen too much trouble scrolling the whole page instead of just reading most or the whole page at one time. An ANNOYING magnifying window pops up now whenever you try and move the cursor to delete a letter instead of the cursor just moving to that spot. This annoying bubble also pops up instead of opening your You Tube notifications window now. It might take 10 or more tries for it to finally go the eff away. The address bar and tabs at the top also annoyingly disappears when you scroll up the page now so you can forget about quickly going from window to window like I used to. No reading view. I didnt use that, but whoever did its gone. No forward and back button on the right. Just back button. The home screen annoying lists trending online instead of just popping up my most visted pages. They have a recommend now that tracks the pages your browsing. Won’t download a lot of files that my FireFox browser had no problem downloading. I couldn’t even download the Dolphin browser to use instead of the new crappy silk browser if I didn’t luckily already have an old version of Firefox on my kindle as back up. Horrible bright white color with no option for any other background like every other normal browser has. Once it freezes no more “Wait or Close” every single time. You have to totally turn off the kindle and do a hard reboot now. It did pop up two times out of the 15 times it crashed and froze so I guess they didnt get rid of it but doesnt work perfect like it did. And way more freezes. Slower page loads. Videos on some websites do not go to fullscreen like they used to. The you tube video browser is different. Never seen a version like that before. And its of course worse not better. Thats just what I found since the first hour using it I’m pretty sure there’s more problems I don’t even know about yet. Mine just “updated” this week. And because of all of the downgrades that are totally pissing me off everytime I use it, now if I can’t find a link to download the older version, I’m getting rid of it after using it everyday for 6/7 years. Pretty much everything that was perfect and made the silk browser great has now been taking away or messed up. I swear I want to head butt these people who keep doing these downgrades to stuff that don’t need to be changed and calling them upgrades. I guess these people need jobs and get paid to piss everybody off with their always horrible changes.

66. Richard Hart23 January, 2017

Please add my name to those who hate the new silk browser, no helpful

67. EffSilkNow9 March, 2017

I always wanna head butt these idiot techies that are paid to update everything that was perfect before they messed with it to a downgrade. Everything you can think of that was fine and great either doesn’t work now, can’t find it or is a pain in the azz. Too much of a long list to list. Butone of the main things is really pissing me off is how all videos on every website played on the perfect older browser. You tube videos play and videos ob sites I always watch won’t play now either. It now says video format is not supported. Downloading dolphin helped some you tube videos but other sites just wont play at all no matter what browser I use. Some are on paid sites that worked fine before Amazon stole the older browser off of my device. So they pretty much stole money out of my pocket. This might not get posted if I throw up all the cuss words I wanna put up.