How to Get Another Year of Amazon Prime for $67

How to Get Another Year of Amazon Prime for $67 Amazon Amazon is celebrating its five wins at this week's Emmy Awards by holding a sale on Friday for Amazon Prime memberships. They're offering subscribers a year's worth of Prime benefits for $67 (and to sweeten the deal, they're also throwing in a free drone). The deal is only open to new subscribers, but here's how you can take advantage of it.

Or rather, here's how I am going to try to take advantage of the sale on Friday.

Edit: Nope. It didn't work, alas.

While this offer is open to new subscribers, it should be possible to buy a gift subscription and give it to yourself. The trick is to schedule the delivery for a future date.

Here's how:

• You need to turn off the auto-renewal for your existing Prime membership, and then
  • Buy a gift Prime membership and schedule it to arrive in your email inbox the day after your current membership ends.

This trick has worked before back when Amazon raised the price of Prime form $79 to $99, and I think it's worth a shot.

You can manage your existing Prime membership here. Look in the options on the left for one that mentions ending your membership. Start there.

And on Friday you can try to buy a Prime membership as a gift here. Be sure to set the gift to arrive the day after your current membership ends, and yes you should be able to send it to the same email address as the one tied to your Amazon account.

I think this is worth at least a few minutes of my time. Is anyone else going to give it a shot?

P.S. I'll revisit this post on Friday and update it with news of my success or failure.

1. Lorenet22 September, 2015

I hope this works. My membership is set to expire the end of September. I’ll give it a try.

2. Tim Wilhoit22 September, 2015

I’m not due for a re-up until September 2017. I doubt if I can use the extension. It’s a good idea for Amazon to do a Prime special right before Christmas. People with a Prime membership generally spend a lot more money on purchases. I know I do.

3. nancy22 September, 2015

As in so many cases, loyal, long-term customers are not given a break as the objective is to get more business. Your work-around is clever – good luck with it.

4. tubemonkey22 September, 2015

I intend to give it a shot.

5. Graham23 September, 2015

I suppose they figured out how to prevent you from cancelling your current membership today (the “turn off auto-renew” feature no longer exists) and just re-upping during the $67 on Friday? Probably a 30-day wait period or something?

1. Nate Hoffelder23 September, 2015

That’s interesting.

My membership is not set to auto-renew. Are you sure this can’t be disabled?

6. Anne23 September, 2015

As I remember it, they removed the ability to turn off auto renew the last time they had a special on prime. The “trick” was posted all over the Amazon forums. If you weren’t early enough, it didn’t work.

I’m not going to go searching for the posts but I was pretty sure this was going to happen again and it appears it did.

7. Syn24 September, 2015

So is this working? I am on auto renew with the option to cancel. It doesn’t seem grayed out to me. My membership expires in 15 days

1. Nate Hoffelder24 September, 2015

The sale isn’t until tomorrow.

8. Syn24 September, 2015

Ahh ok. I just turned off my auto-renew. We’ll see tomorrow.

9. tubemonkey24 September, 2015

Try this to turn off auto renew:

1- go to “Manage Your Prime Membership”
    2- click “End Membership”
    3- click “End Membership” again
    4- “When do you want to end your membership?”
    5- choose “End Later”
    6- click “End on (date)”

10. Syn25 September, 2015

If you try to email it to the email your Amazon account is under, it gives an invalid email address. It was worth a shot.

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2015

The gift trick didn’t work for me either.

11. Amazon Prime on sale for $67 on Friday 9/25 only | TeleRead25 September, 2015

[…] The deal is ostensibly open only to new subscribers, but The Digital Reader suggests a handy workaround that might work: set your Prime membership not to renew (use the “End Membership” option from […]

12. Rosco25 September, 2015

The above does NOT work. Mine ends Nov. 4, and they will ONLY let you cancel on that day, not early.
    I’m checking with friends who are not Prime members to buy the $67 membership for me.
    Bitch Amazon screws existing members once again.

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2015

It didn’t work for me, either.

13. Maria (BearMountainBooks)25 September, 2015

I wonder, would it have worked if you already had auto-renewal turned off (rather than waiting until today)? I don’t have prime. But I always turn off auto-renewal stuff, so if someone had it set to off, would it be possible to gift yourself? Just curious, but it sounds like y’all have tried it a few ways and it didn’t work.

14. Maria (BearMountainBooks)25 September, 2015

Also, so long as I’m asking questions, can you gift Prime to someone in your household? So if prime is in your name now, could you give to your husband/wife/roommate/other at the same address and effectively get prime for that price? The gift prime link does NOT have the sale price listed. I checked and it says it’s 99.

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2015

That did not work for me, Maria.

15. Bob25 September, 2015

Has anyone tried sending it to a secondary email not associated with Amazon and then change your Amazon email address to that secondary account?

16. headcheese25 September, 2015

Ummm, where does it say you get a free drone?

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2015

I was joking.

17. Kevin25 September, 2015

This doesn’t work for me, just does a $99 gift in my cart. Any updates??

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2015

It’s not working for anyone, sorry.

18. Christopher Liebster19 November, 2016

Here’s How You Can Get Amazon Prime for a Lower Price when Available. You Create a New Amazon Account; with a Different Email Address. Otherwise Do the Free 30 Day/Night Trial with 13 Different Email Addresses & You’ll Never Have to Pay for Amazon Prime Ever Again & You Can Do the Same with Netflix & All Other Streaming Sites.