Book Club App Novellic is Poised to Threaten Goodreads, BookLikes

Book Club App Novellic is Poised to Threaten Goodreads, BookLikes Book Culture e-Reading Software A new book club platform by the name of Novellic is launching soon with plans to challenge Goodreads.

From the press release:

The new multiplatform app and web service aims to help readers form new micro-communities around book genres and tailors book suggestions around specific reader interests. Book club management tools such as next-read polling, book discussion threads and offline meetup organisers are also built into the app to facilitate the community aspects of book clubs on a day to day basis.

“In building Novellic we are placing the reader first and foremost” said Candide Kirk, the company’s co-founder and product designer. “As a genre reader myself I see book clubs as a great way to discover new reads and to make friends through communities of like-minded readers.

...

Novellic will also feature a highly curated and personalised book storefront giving readers an alternative way to buy both physical as well as digital books. With a strong focus on micro-genres and niche reader communities Novellic will initially cater to 25 key fiction genres that have strong reader following. Whereas existing bookstores tend to combine genres such as Science Fiction and Fantasy, Novellic will curate books into more specific micro-genres such as Space Opera or Dystopian fiction to better cater for the tastes of readers.

Book Club App Novellic is Poised to Threaten Goodreads, BookLikes Book Culture e-Reading Software The platform is in beta, and they're currently accepting a limited number of beta testers.

Has anyone tried it? Would you like to? And would you be interested in writing a post about it?

I ask because I could probably get an invite, but I wouldn't be able to get the most value from it. I'm not social enough on Booklikes, Goodreads, LibraryThing, Shelfari, Wattpad, or other similar platforms and so readers would probably get more from someone else's post.

Let us know if you get in. Readers would like to know how Novellic compares to its (many) competitors.

1. Mark Williams - The International Indie Author13 October, 2015

BooLike? That’s gotta be up there with the best title typos ever. 🙂

1. Nate Hoffelder13 October, 2015

Thanks, Mark.

I could have sworn I proofread the title and it was correct.

2. Muratcan Simsek13 October, 2015

Sounds interesting, do you know if they will sell internationally?

3. Maria (BearMountainBooks)13 October, 2015

Late to the party if you ask me. I’m on Goodreads, Leafmark…I have signed up to Shelfari and Librarything and Ficfact, but I’m not active on any of them anymore. I spend the most time on Goodreads and Leafmark, but honestly I am not sure there is room for yet another book social site. I’m an author and this article doesn’t even spark my interest to join and make sure my books are listed…okay, okay. Maybe I have a bad attitude.

4. Coral Russell13 October, 2015

I’ve used all the reader sites for about 4 years now and I’m sticking with Goodreads. I’ve signed up and will give it a whirl. The problem I find is that people find a place and stick with it. I mean once you get your books on one place it’s hard to change. I love Scribd and if they incorporated reading forums there it would be great. They probably are at some point since they acquired a company that did that. BookLikes is big internationally so I would do a combo GR/BL. It’s just at this point you’re wanting people to migrate from one site to another or get people that have never got involved in a book club before. I wish them luck since it’s an app thingy (GR apps not so good and Scribd’s doesn’t work).

5. Candide Kirk13 October, 2015

Hi and thanks all for the feedback! Thanks for signing up and hopefully when we start sharing the build in the next few weeks you’ll understand what drove us to develop Novellic…

Just to clarify a couple of points – Novellic is not a shelving tool. We’re also not about reviews or recommendations in the traditional sense either. Novellic is really an app to organise small sized book clubs, the type of reading groups that have 15-20 members who meet up in real life once a month and discuss the book they’ve been buddy reading. Old school book clubs where people made new friends – that’s the crux of our app.

And for the record I’m a goodreads user myself 🙂

6. Hana14 October, 2015

Signed up myself though only because I’m curious about the design. It’s not a shelving tool and I don’t care much about socialising with other readers but it might be handy for recommendations. Either way, shall give it a try but otherwise I’m a dedicated Goodreads user.