Stick a Fork in It, This Rumor is Done: No More New Kindles in 2015

Stick a Fork in It, This Rumor is Done: No More New Kindles in 2015 DeBunking e-Reading Hardware Earlier this year a certain site of ill repute posted an unsubstantiated rumor that Amazon would release a new Kindle Voyage this fall.

Based on nothing more than its own guesses, that site said the new Voyage would run a dual-core CPU. It later doubled down on its claims in early November, adding that a new Kindle Paperwhite (with twice the storage) and a new basic Kindle would also be making an appearance.

With Thanksgiving two days away, and the holiday shopping season half over, I think it is safe to say that this rumor is just as bogus as the previous claims made by that site (including, for example, the claim that the new Voyage would launch in September along side the new Fire tablets).

But as I predicted way back in July, this rumor turned out to be completely false. But of course, I'm sure most people reached that conclusion after Amazon put the Kindle on sale several times over the past month. The retailer would not put so much effort into selling last year's models if they were going to replace them.

That said, I have to agree with my colleague in that I am surprised at just how far this rumor spread on such a flimsy basis. I mean, Amazon usually preps for its new product launches by leaking details to major tech blogs, and yet this rumor only ever had a single source.

Next!

1. Nate Hoffelder24 November, 2015

Right now I’m really hoping Amazon doesn’t launch new Kindles on Black Friday, because then I would look like an idiot.

2. tubemonkey24 November, 2015

But it was on the internet. How can it be wrong? LOL

1. Nate Hoffelder24 November, 2015

Now that is an irrefutable argument.

3. poiboy24 November, 2015

easy now.. if we bash every tech-leak news blog.. we’ll be at it for awhile. i for one was happy to read good e readers post and thus looked into myself. had it not been for the kindle’s processor release delay, it might have been true. (yes, i personally looked into that aspect of the rumour and found it to be valid via the Freescale’s own CS)

1. Nate Hoffelder24 November, 2015

I don’t bash every tech-leak news blog, just the ones that operate on the same level as Digitimes.

4. Syn24 November, 2015

I’ve been waiting to buy a Voyage, but as it is a year old, I can’t pull the trigger until there is a refresh.

5. Frank24 November, 2015

Another source to avoid on tech (and news in general) is the International Business Times.

6. […] Stick a Fork in It, This Rumor is Done: No More New Kindles in 2015 (The Digital Reader) – See, you can go ahead and safely buy a new Paperwhite now. 🙂 […]

7. poiboy25 November, 2015

Although I never said that you directly were, I was implying that we don’t need to pounce on erroneous/appearing erroneous reports. Nate, you are clearly taking a knock at good e reader (without saying their name). Try to rise above and just keep your own reporting fact based and neutral. Don’t worry about the others. 🙂

Also, people are more interested in Facts, rather then “DeBunking”.

1. Nate Hoffelder25 November, 2015

@ poiboy

I was going to drop this, but was prodded into posting after Teleread’s post yesterday morning. In retrospect, perhaps I could have achieved the same goal by leaving a comment on their post.

8. Popup25 November, 2015

There’s a lot of wishful thinking involved. I know that I wanted to believe it, when I first saw the rumour, even if it was rather flimsy.

And on the face of it, a new high-end e-ink Kindle wouldn’t be out of place, in the run-up to Christmas.

It’s just a shame that all those pesky ‘facts’ interfere with the opinions. When that happens one can either follow the facts (like Nate) or keep piling on opinions (like far too many other ‘news’ sites.)

9. DavidW25 November, 2015

@poiboy

Actually he did need to address it. That rumor became widespread and many accepted it as fact. It’s a public service to discredit rumors, and those that started them. Hopefully more people in the future will not report on speculation from Good Ereader.

FYI his reporting is factual and neutral. The lack of a new kindle is a fact. There is no new kindle. He is neutral because he is not attacking the people that posted the rumor, he is attacking the rumor itself. You should not have a problem with this at all.

Furthermore, I dislike your misuse of the word bias. if someone posts rumor after rumor and all of it turns out to be false, assuming the next rumor from that person would also be false is not a matter of bias. We are talking about logical deduction based on previous behavior.

The definition of bias according to the old dictionary is as follows:
    “a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned”

If Nate a priori decided that a blogger was posting nonsense based upon something irrelevant like political leaning, career or gender or simply having no logical reason to doubt the veracity of the claim, that would be a case of bias. Discrediting a disreputable source is not biased in itself.

10. poiboy25 November, 2015

what ever keeps you asleep at night people 🙂 two bald men can defend/rationalize their war over a comb all they want.. still appears unnecessary.

just trying to keep things civil on an internet site. #ohwell