Kobo is Beta-Testing New Reading Stats

An eagle-eyed reader over at MobileRead Forums reports that Kobo is testing a new way to show a book's stats.

Yesterday GeoffR posted a screensnap which showed that Kobo is considering a more graphic way to show details about a book, including length, an estimated page count, and how long it will take to read.

Kobo is Beta-Testing New Reading Stats eBookstore Kobo

Kobo is still quietly testing the new ebook description page in beta, so they're not showing it to everyone. They also haven't shared any info on when it will be rolled out to all users.

Luckily, the same cannot be said for the new reading stats email.

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard a couple reports that Kobo is now sending active readers a precis of their reading stats every quarter.

Kobo is Beta-Testing New Reading Stats eBookstore Kobo

According to my source at MobileRead, Kobo is only tracking data from the books they sell:

And thinking of stats, did anyone else get the reading activity email earlier in the month? I don't remember it being mentioned. It shows the stats for my reading for the previous three months. But, it is only for "Kobo eBooks", so only books I purchased from Kobo. I like it, but as it only captures maybe half of my reading, it isn't very accurate.

So what do you think of the new stats?

I find the new book stats more colorful and easier to scan, but not necessarily more useful. I've never used those details to plan my reading, have you?

Thanks, GoeffR, for the heads up!

image by andsleonardo

1. fjtorres26 January, 2016

What I read and how much I read is between me and my reader.
    There had better be a way to shut off that spying.

2. SteveHut26 January, 2016

Nice, but as an indie publisher I’d love to see this type of stats, i.e. granular averages by day/week/month (vs. previous month) for my titles in Kindle Unlimited.

3. Gbm26 January, 2016

That just means I will not be buying a Kobo ereader.
    @SteveHut NO you do not need to know anything beyond that money was paid for your books.

4. Reader26 January, 2016

fjtorres
    What I read and how much I read is between me and my reader.
    There had better be a way to shut off that spying.

About the only times I connect an e-reader to the Internet are to register it and to correct its clock.

Gbm
    That just means I will not be buying a Kobo ereader.

I recently purchased an e-book through Kobo. I downloaded it via the Kobo desktop app. When I tried to put the e-book on my Kobo e-reader, the DRM wouldn’t let me open the book- on a book I had purchased. And what I attempted to do didn’t work. Result: I found a way to strip the DRM from what I had purchased from Kobo, so I could read it on my Kobo e-reader. I won’t be making many more Kobo e-book purchases.

5. Fbone26 January, 2016

No reading stats for me. Of course, wifi has been off since I bought the device.

6. DavidW27 January, 2016

The first thing I did was disable reading stats. I don’t care about reading stats, and this update won’t change my mind.

7. […] der Kommentarspalte zur Meldung bei The Digital Reader etwa häufen sich die kritischen Stimmen. Ein Leser schreibt, “was […]

8. Mark14 October, 2016

I just updated my kobo Aura HD to the Aura ONE… lost all stats including books read and over 2000 hours of reading. Customer service says stats don’t transfer from one device to another. That seems odd. Kobo has taken the time to build reading stats into the software but doesn’t allow the stats to carry forward to a new reader that they make. I know it’s a little, silly thing, but seeing my reading stats back at 0 is tad disappointing.