Hands On With Kobo Aura One Night Mode (video)

Hands On With Kobo Aura One Night Mode (video) e-Reading Hardware Kobo Reviews When Kobo announced the Aura One ereader this morning, one question was at the top of everyone's mind:

How the heck did Kobo add a night-reading mode with a red-orange filter?

Night-reading modes were a hot topic in the ebook world last year. Amazon, Google, and even Apple released updates for Android, iOS, and Fire tablets which added optional bluelight filters.

The thinking behind these filters is that they are better for you to use at night because the blue end of the light spectrum is most likely to keep you up, which is why there are apps for iOS and Android that can do this.

However, the apps use a trick which won't work for E-ink screens; they variously disable the blue light coming out of the RGB pixels on a mobile device's screen (some apps like do a lot more).

The best ereaders on the market have a grayscale screen and a white frontlight, so you would think it would be impossible to add a frontlight which could shift colors.

But Kobo found a solution - one so obvious that I have to wonder why no one else has used it in the seven years since Sony debuted a frontlight on the PRS-700.

A frontlight on an ereader is lit by tiny LEDs around the frame, and the ereader might have any where between 4 to 10 of them. Amazon made a big deal over the Kindle Oasis having ten LEDs (more than any other device) but Kobo found a better use for LEDs.

Kobo added an extra LED which provides a red-orange tint, and then changed the software so that users could adjust the brightness and the tint independently.

Correction: The Aura One has "9 white LEDs and 8 RGB LEDs (with 3 lights in each)".

I shot a couple videos to show it off. The first was in a room lit by sunlight, so it's hard to see the night-reading mode.

The second video was shot in a fairly dim room so that you can see just how strong the red-orange color can get.

I don't know if you can see it in the video, but the red-orange LED appears to be located along the bottom edge of the screen. From what I can tell there is only one, and as a result I can see a noticeable color gradient between the bottom and the top of the screen.

Edit: No, that is just a quirk of the light interactig with the film over the screen.

Then again, I am looking at this screen with a critical eye which is trying to find fault. A regular user might not notice, or care.

What do you think of the night-reading mode?

1. Fjtorres17 August, 2016

I don’t use night mode.
    But it is a clever design. Somebody should get a big bonus.

2. Andy17 August, 2016

Absolutely this is a great feature.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Kobo has been leading all the innovation in ereaders since the original Aura. Kindle just follows. The Voyage’s haptic buttons are just silly. Oasis’ cover-as-a-battery pack is a gimmick. (Although I just remembered the large side bezel, which honestly is a big design win).

Anyway, go Kobo! Increase the size, bring the resolution, add colored LEDs, and built-in Pocket and Overdrive. These are fantastic value-adds.

1. Nate Hoffelder17 August, 2016

Not the original Aura – the Aura HD with its 6.8″ screen. That was the breakout device, IMO.

3. Amber17 August, 2016

Wow.. that really does get orangey. Is it the video or is the real thing that orange?

1. Nate Hoffelder17 August, 2016

It can get that orangey, yes.

It took me a dozen tries to make sure that the real shade of orange showed up in the video accurately.

4. poiboy17 August, 2016

i’d leave a comment, but i’d be worried that it might take the focus off the exact topic and cause another closing of the comment section. and no one wants that kind of censorship. :))

1. poiboy17 August, 2016

i kid, i kid.
      the video is very helpful. what a screen!

5. Paul Durrant18 August, 2016

I’d be astonished if there was one special LED. I would expect them to be using RGB LEDs – individual LEDs that can vary the ratio of Red, Green and Blue light that they emit.

1. Nate Hoffelder18 August, 2016

Maybe. All I know is that I saw a bright spot at the bottom of the screen.

Then again, I could have a pre-production unit with quirks not found in the units sold to customers.

2. Nate Hoffelder18 August, 2016

And you would be right. Kobo told me that there are “9 white LEDs and 8 RGB LEDs (with 3 lights in each)” in the Aura One.

6. John Hopper18 August, 2016

But why do you even need a night mode on an e-ink reader? These are for back-lit LCD screens.

1. Sweetpea18 August, 2016

You obviously never read from a front-lit e-ink reader in a pitch black room. Even with the front-light at 7%, it’ll light up the entire room. It really burns the eyes (yes, I’m talking about an e-ink reader, with a front-light). Below 7%, the contrast becomes too low for me.

I think I’ll buy it for that night mode alone…

1. Nate Hoffelder18 August, 2016

Even at 2%, a frontlight is pretty bright in an unlit room.

2. John Hopper18 August, 2016

Sweetpea – I have on occasion read on an e-ink Kindle in a pitch dark room, when unable to sleep at night. On such occasions, I have simply dimmed the front light to a lower setting, and it is not too bright either for me reading or for my wife sleeping next to me unawares. Hence my surprise at this feature on an e-ink reader (unless Kobo front lights cannot be dimmed to the same extent? I do have a Kobo Aura H2O but have never used it in a pitch dark room).

7. Frank18 August, 2016

This night mode seems pretty neat. I wish some scientists would test current e-readers with their light at low levels and then test the new Kobo Aura One’s night mode to see how much blue light comes out of them.

8. BDR18 August, 2016

KoReader offers a white on black night mode that works very well on Kobo and (older-firmware) Kindles. It seems to be a whole lot simpler of a solution than this.

1. Grymm22 August, 2016

The white on black method has its pitfalls as well, ghosting is more common, and does cause some additional battery drain. Neither of these issues is big enough to make this method totally impractical, however they are big enough that alternate solutions should be sought.

9. Tarwin18 August, 2016

Nighty-mode fits not have so much to do with intensity as it does with the KIND of light. Supposedly blue light keeps you awake (I have found this to be true in my case, which is why I use f.lux on the computer, but I have not read any studies on it). So the implementation is to use light lacking the blue (I.e. Reddish light) so that you don’t get insomnia from the simple act of reading (unless it’s just THAT good of a book).
    Hopefully they do take intensity into account as well (I’m also assuming that the removal of 1/3 of the lights from active duty should also provide a weaker light).

10. Sybrand19 August, 2016

Need to have this device ASAP! 😉

11. Chris19 August, 2016

On the announcement video Kobo showed a graph of the frontlight colour changing in the morning to white, and then in the evening a slightly slower changeover back to red. There’s a place in the UI to set your bedtime, so that presumably controls the evening changeover.

But when does the morning changeover start?

12. Patrick23 August, 2016

I see absolutely no need for the white LEDs. I’ve been wondering for years when some company would actually get smart enough to use red LEDs for night reading. This is overly complicated, but red LEDs should have been head-slappingly OBVIOUS, even in the first generation of front-lighted devices.

13. […] were three burning questions about the Kobo Aura One when it launched: how the night reading mode worked, Overdrive integration, and whether the Aura One had an internal microSD card […]

14. […] don't care about the night reading mode, and I expect the Overdrive integrationto show up in the Aura H2O's next update, so that deal on a […]

15. […] addition to a night-reading mode, what sets the newly launched Kobo Aura One apart from other ereaders is the way it supports […]

16. […] Few are touting this fact, but the Aura One has 17 LEDs lighting up its 7.8" screen – 9 white LEDs and 8 more RGB LEDs (for the night reading mode). […]

17. […] Hands On With Kobo Aura One Night Mode (video) (The Digital Reader) […]

18. […] Kobo Aura One, on the other hand, goes from white to a red-orange depending on the time of day and on a user's […]