We’re Back, Baby!

Reports of this blog's demise were greatly exaggerated.

The adequate engineers at MediaTemple were able to recover the database in the backup from early Sunday. This has cost me all the posts from Sunday and Monday, but it looks like everything else has been restored.

Posting will continue as soon as I have run a few tests to make sure that everything works. (And of course beatings will continue until morale improves.)

Thank you, Kat and John, for giving me the names of a couple lawyers who could have helped me with the worst-case scenario (getting compensated for a destroyed blog).

And thank you to everyone else who expressed sympathy with my situation. I appreciate the moral (and in several cases, financial) support.

1. […] Same-day update: It is arisen: We’re Back, Baby! […]

2. Robert Nagle20 September, 2016

Thank god!

3. K. S. Brooks20 September, 2016

Glad to hear you’re back! 🙂 And thanks for the shout-out.

4. Name (Required)20 September, 2016

I am happy to see you back on-line.

5. Jason van Gumster20 September, 2016

Welcome back to the land of the [digitally] living!

6. Frank20 September, 2016

Nate, it is good your site is back and you only lost a few posts.

7. Irish Imbas20 September, 2016

Glad you’re back, Nat.

8. Kellie Sharpe20 September, 2016

OH, thank God! So glad to hear this!

9. BP20 September, 2016

You are a public service to writers everywhere. So glad you made it!

10. Chris Meadows20 September, 2016

Your blogging client didn’t have the posts you made in it, in a format suitable for reposting?

In any event, you might want to consider your own independent backup solution from here on out…

1. Nate Hoffelder20 September, 2016

I don’t use a blogging client.

What do you use, BTW?

1. Chris Meadows21 September, 2016

Originally, Microsoft Live Writer. Subsequently, Open Live Writer. Lately, WordPress for Windows Desktop (in addition to WordPress for Android and iOS on various mobile devices).

1. Nate Hoffelder21 September, 2016

I have a few problems with your preferred tool.

It doesn’t upload featured images, it doesn’t link images embedded in a post to the larger version, and it messes up titles by replacing characters like _’_ with their html equivalent.

I’m surprised that Automattic’s own tool is responsible; I thought it would catch these details.

11. Bjorn21 September, 2016

Phew. Glad to hear it worked out!

12. Jan21 September, 2016

I missed reading your posts yesterday. Glad you’re back!

13. Mike21 September, 2016

Please install backwpup.

1. Nate Hoffelder21 September, 2016

I have a backup plugin (Backup WordPress). It’s just that I wasn’t using it because Mediatemple was supposed to be handling it.

14. Mrs. Mac21 September, 2016

I’m glad you back. However, now that you’re back, I’m confronted with that charming little pop-up dancing window encouraging me to sign up for your newsletter. After viewing it several times, I was annoyed enough to sign-up, figuring that would at least get rid of that most irritating window. Then came the email to confirm my subscription. Fine. I clicked the link and then was asked to confirm I’m a real human being. Okay, click that. Then I was asked to click all the pictures that show a river. Over and over – 12 blasted pictures. Was I done? NO! Next I had to select all the pictures with house numbers. For pete’s sake! ENOUGH! I gave up. Came back here to read an article, and there was that dancing window AGAIN. Argh! I went back to the confirmation window for the news, selected all the photos, again, and signed up. Now they believe I’m a real human and will irritate me with your news.

All this so you can send me an email? Seriously? Right now, I’m so frustrated I’ll probably never read it. I don’t know if you have any control over that, but if you do, please simply the process.

And, yes, I’m annoyed; but I’ll stop stop in here at least daily to read your articles. :p

1. Nate Hoffelder21 September, 2016

Um, that pop-up was only supposed to appear every 14 days. You shouldn’t be seeing it this often.

I’ll look into it.

1. Mrs. Mac21 September, 2016

Nate, please accept my apologies for my rant. It was uncalled for and I should have simply contacted you privately and nicely asked for help. You deserve better. If you have the ability to remove comments, feel free to remove mine (especially since it’s loaded with typos and bad grammar – good grief!). I do appreciate your looking into the whole issue. Again, my apologies.

1. Nate Hoffelder21 September, 2016

It’s really okay. If it is misbehaving then i really need to know about it.

I hate pop-ups with a passion so I was trying to make this pop-up as tolerable as possible, but I hadn’t tested it yet. If you’re that annoyed by it then it clearly needed to be revised.