With the year drawing to a close, Google announced its annual “Best of 2016” lists on Thursday.
The ad network has assembled Google Play’s Best of lists by searching out the most popular apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, and ebooks globally in 2016.
Here are the top five ebooks for 2016, and as you can see it contains several surprises.
- Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe by Cullen Bunn
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne
- The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins
- The Art of War by Tzu Sun
- Me Before You: A Novel by Jojo Moyes
Only one of the books was published this year, and it barely counts as a book. The rest are all at least several years old, and one is at least a couple millennia old.
How that particular copy of The Art of War made the best of list, I do not know. But if a $1.11 ebook with only 83 reviews can make the list, Google really must not be selling a lot of ebooks.
You can find the best of 2016 lists for Google Play music, movies, apps and games on the Google blog.