Amazon Gave Your Notes & Highlights a New Home on the Web

Amazon Gave Your Notes & Highlights a New Home on the Web Kindle (platform) For many years now Amazon has enabled Kindle users to manage and share their annotations via a website at Kindle.Amazon.com (just one of many ways you can curate your notes).

Now Amazon has launched a new and much-improved way for readers to access their Kindle notes and highlights. Kindle users got an email today with the news:

We have good news. Customers have been asking for more ways to access their Kindle notes and highlights—especially on their phones.

We’ve created a new home for all your notes and highlights that’s easy to access from your phone, tablet, or PC. Now you can easily refer to your notes and highlights wherever you are. Visit the new home for Your Notes and Highlights at read.amazon.com/notebook.

The new site serves much the same purpose as the old, but it has a better design. It works on a smartphone and your iPad, while the older site was only designed to work on desktop web browsers.

You can use the site to delete highlights, add or edit notes, and the new Notebook site can also show you where you made the highlight.

I was just testing this site, and I found that I could use it to open Kindle for PC exactly where I had made a note.

This feature does not work on Android, however. (And for some unknown reason,  Amazon does not send you to its cloud reading app - even though it's only a click away).

But none of that really matters; the new site is a huge improvement and will be quite useful.

1. kaffedrikker7 June, 2017

Another thing is that it only works with books bought on Amazon, which leaves most of Europe out, since Amazon only have national shops in a few big european countries. Like in Kindle for PC/Mac sideloadet books are not supported.

2. Kathleen7 June, 2017

It works on books I borrowed on Overdtive through Amazon and no longer have. Yippee!

3. Jan7 June, 2017

I accessed this using my Android phone.

4. Liz8 June, 2017

It still doesn’t contain any notes made in personal documents, so notes made in non-Amazon books are apparently invisible.

5. Bill13 August, 2017

Have you seen this? ”Some highlights have been hidden or truncated due to export limits.” The new site will not let you access all your notes. If you read for research and highlight a lot, you are now unable to access many of your highlights.

1. Nate Hoffelder13 August, 2017

I hadn’t seen that, no.

6. Ron3 September, 2017

Truncating highlights are a huge problem.
    I cannot access many of my highlights now.
    I like being able to select a book but the truncating should be stopped.

7. Ellen29 September, 2017

”Some highlights have been hidden or truncated due to export limits.” This is a disaster for me. I spent hours highlighting ideas to bring up at meetings. Ideas for letters to the editor. Ideas to share with my daughter and I can’t access them. I guess it’s time to go back to a real book and copy my notes. Anyone want to buy my slightly used Kindle?

8. Reader15 November, 2017

If you use the desktop Kindle app, you can download the book and then select the Notebook icon on the left-hand menu. The highlights are complete and can be exported.

9. Joe15 January, 2018

Not true Reader. Unfortunately, many books have notes that are “Swiss cheesed”. Even two word highlights are missing one word. Plus it’s random- some of my books it’s the last quarter of the book, others are in the middle,.. . Another site says it’s due to the publishers, but who knows? This is a total let down from Amazon, I had years of notes that are now mostly useless. Should have copied them before the change. I’ll be looking for a new eReader too. Hopefully there’s something comparable.

10. Joel Alleyne14 May, 2018

I was thinking of writing an article: “How Amazon bricked my Kindle and made it very useless”

I use my kindle for academic purposes – like many in this thread – and since they limited by ability to use it to make notes that I can use for citations and quotes this it like trying to do research with one hand tied behind my back.

It sucks.

Joel

11. Mic Alexander2 June, 2018

There is a way around the “export limit” for highlights and notes, but it is a bit of a pain. Find out where the truncated notes begin and mark that spot. Copy and past all the notes that are not truncated. Then go back to the beginning and begin deleting the notes and highlights until until a substantial number have been eliminated. (At least as many as were truncated.) Then close the highlight area for a while and then reopen it. If you deleted enough notes, the truncated ones should be visible.