Icarus Illumina XL HD 7.8″ Android eReader up for Pre-Order, Ships in August

The European ereader retailer Icarus has quietly put a new model up for pre-order.

The Illumina XL HD features a 7.8" Carta E-ink screen, runs Android 4.2, and is listed for 185 euros (plus VAT).

This ereader uses the same screen as on the Kobo Aura One, only without the color frontlight and with a faster CPU. If I were still buying ereaders left and right, this one would go to the top of the list.

Icarus Illumina XL HD 7.8" Android eReader up for Pre-Order, Ships in August e-Reading Hardware

The Illumina XL HD runs Android 4.2 on an unnamed 1.8GHz CPU with 1GB RAM. It comes with 16GB internal storage, and I hope that will be enough given that there is no card slot.

On the upside, this ereader does have audio as well as a bigger battery than on the Aura One (2.8Ah vs 1.5Ah). It also ships with Google Play.

It's hard to tell from the images, but it looks like there is just one button on the front, below the screen. That is a 7.8" Carta E-ink screen with frontlight, capacitive touchscreen, and a screen resolution of 1872 x 1404.

All in all this is a great ereader. It's not waterproof like the Aura One, but it is significantly cheaper (229 euros vs 185 euros) and more versatile.

It's coming out in August, and I am seriously considering buying one.

How about you?

Icarus

Specs

• CPU: 1.8GHz
  • RAM: 1GB
  • OS: Android 4.2, with Google Play
  • Screen: 7.8? Carta E-ink
  • Resolution: 1404 x 1872 (300 ppi)
  • Frontlight, capacitive touchscreen
  • Storage: 16GB (no card slot)
  • Wifi, headphone jack
  • Battery: 2.8Ah
  • Dimensions: 145 x 200x 9 mm
  • Weight: 275 grams
  • Price: €185

1. RL18 June, 2017

I wish it had expandable storage, but I may still buy one.

2. ObviousFanboy19 June, 2017

Everything is just a little bit ‘men’s since the Aura One was announced! Will be giving this a miss.

1. Nate Hoffelder19 June, 2017

“a little bit men’s”?

I don’t follow you.

3. Purple lady19 June, 2017

I was excited about the 1 gb of ram until I saw it doesn’t have sd card slot. 16 gb is not enough for a reader with Google play. With the 1 gb of ram it might be able to run the Kindle app, but that takes up a lot of space. It says you can use it for audio books, but aren’t those files usually pretty large? I don’t understand why there is no sd card. Android 4.2 handles sd cards with no permissions needed, so that can’t be why. If it was KitKat I could see a reason for no sd card because you need to root to be able to store files where you want to.

4. Herbertwest7 July, 2017

Expadable storage is really no longer needed if you have a Western Digital nas drive. These store multi TB massive storage that can be accessed with ease from this open android system.

1. mdp28 September, 2017

How, through networking? The need is for local storage. Mobility.

5. […] Icarus Illumina XL HD  is a 7.8" ereader that runs  Android 4.2 and uses the same sized screen as the Kobo Aura One. It […]

6. worm25 September, 2017

What other ereaders have 1gb RAM? I know Boyue just released the Lifebook. Any device with android needs at least 1gb of ram, my t62 would not cut it.

7. Gema28 September, 2017

Thank you for the information! how do you see the two-column pdf? Is it easy to navigate through them? Could you underline text?

8. […] about 3 months now the  OEM version of the Icarus Illumina XL HD  Android ereader has been available through AliExpress. Now you can also buy it from Banggood (a […]

9. keith3 May, 2018

I bought the icarus xl 7.8 inch 300 dpi for Christmas 2017 and I sent it back at my own cost to the Netherlands a few days after it was bought in early January 2018 (they will not pay the shipping costs) as light was not working properly and one day a week or so ago while i was reading the screen went blank. I contacted icarus and basically they told me tough, they would sell me a another for 179 euro!

It is a piece of crap,stopped working after 3 months and company refuses to honor warranty as they say the screen was broken due me dropping it but there is not a scratch on it and it was never dropped.

I have never written a review before but would say stay away from this product and company as it will not last and you will be out your money!