Boyue Likebook Plus 7.8″ Android eReader Now Listed on Aliexpress

The Icarus Illumina XL HD  is a 7.8" ereader that runs  Android 4.2 and uses the same sized screen as the Kobo Aura One. It was supposed to ship last month, but hasn't yet.

Fortunately, we now have a second option. A reader informed me this morning that the Boyue Likebook Plus, the OEM version of this 7.8" ereader, is now listed on Aliexpress for $199. (Thanks for the tip, Shamik!)

Boyue Likebook Plus 7.8" Android eReader Now Listed on Aliexpress e-Reading Hardware

The Likebook Plus has a beautiful frontlit Carta E-ink display with a capacitive touchscreen and a screen resolution of 1872 x 1404. Behind that 300ppi screen is a quad-core 1.5GHz CPU with 1GB RAM and 16GB internal storage.

It also has Wifi, Bluetooth, a headphone jack, and a 2.8Ah battery.

All that impressive hardware is available today at a third the price of the Remarkable.

Which would you get, if you had the funds?

Aliexpress

1. vicente20 September, 2017

But its software could be a problem, anyone knows its quality?
    Aside,cause its size it would be comparable to Aura One ,not RemarKable

2. Eric20 September, 2017

The price and pictures look great! The wording leaves me a bit unclear as to whether Play/Books or Kindle software work on the device. Syncing reading position across devices is key for me.

1. Nate Hoffelder20 September, 2017

I’m not sure if it ships with Google Play, but you should be able to sideload the Kindle app.

1. Eric20 September, 2017

The screen shot you posted in your article shows “Google Play…”, 4th icon from the left at the bottom.

1. Nate Hoffelder20 September, 2017

I should have looked more carefully. Thanks for pointing that out!

3. vicente20 September, 2017

Is its screen plastic based or crystal?

1. Nate Hoffelder20 September, 2017

probably crystal

4. JMuller21 September, 2017

I’ve been waiting for real reviews of the Illumina XL HD to come out before buying one. Thank you for posting this, at least I can get some information from the Boyue.
    Will you be doing a review of the Illumina XL HD ?

5. Jason van Gumster22 September, 2017

I’ve already pre-ordered the Remarkable and I can’t draw on the Likebook, so…

6. Eric22 September, 2017

I decided to order the Boyue Likebook tonight. The order site takes you through the typical stuff, name, address, credit card, etc. I got a successful confirmation for the order.

Then the red flags went up. I got a following email saying my order was canceled for “security reasons”. I could appeal and still place the order, but to do that they demand a picture of my driver’s license OR a picture of my passport AND a copy of my entire last bank statement.

Clearly, this is not a legit site. I would strongly suggest folks shy away from it.

7. grg24 September, 2017

So annoying, this sounds great except for the lack of micro sd! This has all hallmarks of being a great step forward in processing power and screen quality, why cripple the storage??

8. Lance24 September, 2017

@Eric, I ordered mine with no such problems.

@Grg, there is no microsd slot. But it runs on Android and has a microusb, so is probably compatible with Android-based flash drives. And those currently go up to 256GB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUG1HTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9. mdp26 September, 2017

@Lance, you mean using an external drive as USB On-The-Go?

10. Lance26 September, 2017

Exactly, mdp.

Previous Boyue devices have been OTG compatible; so unless they downgraded on that particular feature, it seems likely to work.

I’ll post confirmation either way after mine arrives.

11. mdp26 September, 2017

@Lance, I would say that using USB OTG to fix your need for extra space is a good idea. Not as good as having the duly MicroSD slot in place, but indeed a good idea.

12. Lance26 September, 2017

It depends a bit, but I agree that it is a better option for typical users. The OTG option is better, however, for those who require a significant amount of space. Typically phones and e readers only work with sdhc and not sdxc, so the limit is 32gb. You get more space with the OTG drive.

13. grg5 October, 2017

@Lance
    Actually, I’ve never had a problem with using e.g. a 64 GB Micro SD card in either my Onyx Boxx T68 nor in the old Nook Simple Touch, even though afaik both claim to only support 32 GB SD card. So until I find a device that actually won’t work with a larger drive, I’ll always prefer a micro SD solution to an OTG one. OTG is fine for moving data, but if I want to use, e.g., the image for a Linux chroot, having it on an OTG drive definitely seems more of a hassle, as you need to make sure not to actually have it fall off while using etc.
    I mean, it’s great that the device supports OTG, but I don’t think that reduces the need for micro SD (for my usage, that is).
    But looking forward to reviews regardless, of course. If companies start using better processors, it’s hopefully just a matter of (not too much) time until there’ll be a device that ticks all the other boxes (bluetooth, micro SD slot, 8-10 inch size, pen would be nice to have as well)

14. Lance5 October, 2017

Interesting, I was unaware that they support larger drives. I wonder why they advertise that they support sdhc if they can carry larger drives?

But anyways, for my Onyx I tend to use a SanDisk connect Wifi drive and that’s always worked well for me. I suppose an SD would work just as well if sdxc is an option, though. I’ll have to give it a shot to test it.

15. grg5 October, 2017

Yes, I’ve also been wondering myself why they advertise these restricted compatibilities. Maybe not all cards are necessarily compatible, so they advertise the largest type they GUARANTEE will work?
    Would be interesting to learn to what extent other people have had experiences of larger cards working or not working, maybe I’ve really just been lucky?

The Wifi drive avoids the problem of physical instability of the connection, but I guess it eats up a bit of battery.

1. Anshuman30 November, 2017

Its probably got to do with the restrictions imposed by Microsoft. Microsd cards 64GB and larger(microsdxc) must necessarily come pre-formatted with the proprietary exFAT filesystem for which MS is believed to charge upto $5 per device. If a manufacturer advertises 64GB and higher support, it has to then compulsorily licence exFAT.Unsurprisingly many don’t in order to avoid the licensing fees. The same situation can be seen in many Android devices as well, at least the less expensive ones. Custom kernels,if available,do enable exFAT. One can still use 64GB cards formatted as FAT32 though.

16. Heresolong23 November, 2017

grg I think you nailed it. My Samsung phone claims to support up to 64GB but a little research suggested that the architecture of a 128GB card was identical. I took a shot, invested $45, and now have 128GB storage on my phone, enough for all of my fairly large music collectoin.

17. […] about 3 months now the  OEM version of the Icarus Illumina XL HD  Android ereader has been available through AliExpress. Now you can also buy it from Banggood (a significantly more reputable […]