You Can Install Google Play on the Latest Fire Tablets in Less Than 5 Minutes

You Can Install Google Play on the Latest Fire Tablets in Less Than 5 Minutes e-Reading Hardware e-Reading Software Fire Google Tips and Tricks
the Fire HD 10

It used to be that installing Google Play and other Google apps on the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet required rooting the tablet, fiddling around with a file manager, and tweaking a few system settings.

But when it comes to installing Google's services on the latest Fire tablets, it's a lot easier. The arrival of the new Fire OS 5.4.0.1 update yesterday inspired me to go find instruction on how to also add Google Play to my 3-yer-old tablet, and the instructions I found on XDA Forums were a whole lot easier than I was expecting.

All you have to do to install Google Play on your Fire tablet is download and install the following APK files, in order, and then reboot your tablet.

You can even do it while reading this post in the silk browser on the tablet itself.

Once you've rebooted your Fire tablet, you will of course have to open the Play Store app and log in to your Google account for the first time.

But once you've done that, you can then install just about any Google app. I have Gmail working on my tablet, which is great because it didn't work on previous Fire models running earlier versions of Fire OS.

What do you have installed on your Fire tablet?

XDA Forums

1. Chris Meadows24 September, 2017

Gee, thanks for crediting me for pointing that out to you, there. 🙂

1. Nate Hoffelder24 September, 2017

you credited yourself over in the other thread, so I didn’t think it necessary to repeat it :).

2. BDR25 September, 2017

Like maybe you’re the first to discover this?? What’s next for you, taking credit for inventing the internet?

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2017

well, I did give Babbage the idea for his first computer …

2. Andrea Clark24 September, 2017

Wow, so much easier with the new update. Now I can finally get the apps I want on my Fire. Thx for posting!

3. user24 September, 2017

How safe are APKs?

1. Nate Hoffelder25 September, 2017

they are like any file on the web, you have to be careful about where you download.

this site is safe.

4. Henry Wood25 September, 2017

Thanks for this. Installation was very simple and the first app I installed was SwiftKey and what a great difference that single app makes to the Fire tablet. Although I have installed Gmail it is crashing every single time I open it.
    Other apps such as Evernote and Password Safe are working fine and even Tesco’s online food shopping app is OK. I’ll try removing Gmail and reinstall it later but I must go and charge my Fire now – I’ve not used it so much in a long time!

5. Henry Wood25 September, 2017

p.s.
    I’ve just installed my favourite browser, Naked Browser Pro and it also greatly improves the Fire tablet. Highly recommended.

6. George27 September, 2017

I installed it over lunch today. Everything went smoothly. I have Kobo, Nook, and Fandango installed so far.

1. Nate Hoffelder28 September, 2017

I’m still having trouble with Gmail.

1. Chris Meadows29 September, 2017

Inbox won’t run at all, alas. I make do with the built-in Mail program.

1. Nate Hoffelder29 September, 2017

I double checked, and I am using the actual Gmail app (not “Inbox by Gmail”). It works sometimes.

7. George29 September, 2017

Don’t know why you’re having email problems. I’ve always used the email app that comes with the Kindle Fire and have never had any problems pulling my gmail messages into it.

8. jan12 December, 2017

icon on fire 7 with alexa but not working what have i done wrong so frustrating 2 days to do this yet everyone saying days few mins

9. Sanjay9 January, 2018

Hi – just installed on a fire 10HD. One big issue – the google play store app does not display on the home screen. So I have to access through the recent items function, which is painful. Any ideas on how to have it appear and launch from the home screen?

1. Nate Hoffelder9 January, 2018

that’s weird – I have the exact opposite issue

I don’t have a solution, sorry.

10. Jane23 March, 2018

I can’t get mine to run Google play. It tells me it can’t connect to the server.