Kobo gives readers a nearly infinite number of different ways to tweak their reading experience so it's perfect. We can change the margins to either leave a pleasant amount of whitespace or to save as much screen real estate as possible, we can adjust line heights to the optimum setting for our reading comfort, and we can even install the font of our choosing.
Just about the only option Kobo does not give readers is a night reading mode. This is the name given to when you display white text on a black background so that when you read in the dark, it feels like there's less light shining in your face (this could be readers tricking themselves, but that is how it feels).
Fortunately, there is a way to enable night mode on Kobo ereaders, including the Aura H2O and the Aura One, but there is a catch: You have to change a system setting for your ereader to make it switch to white text on a black screen. There's no easy way to toggle it on and off, which means you have to be willing to use night mode all the time.
If you want to do that, you'll need a USB cable, your Kobo ereader, and a PC.
How to Invert the Background and Font Color on Kobo eReaders
- The first thing you need to do is connect your ereader to your PC with the USB cable, and then open the file manager on your computer.
- Find the ".kobo" folder, open it, and then open the "kobo" folder found inside it.
- Select the "Kobo eReader.conf" file, right-click it, and choose the option to edit the file. (Notepad on Windows is a good option, although I usually use an app called Textpad).
- After you have the file open, you will need to scroll down and add a couple lines of text to the end of the file. Make sure it is written exactly like this on two lines:
- Once you have added the lines of text, save the file, eject your Kobo ereader, and reboot the ereader (hold down the power button until it turns off, and then press it again to restart it).
After your ereader boots, you should be able to see that the night mode setting has taken effect. If you don't see it, reboot the ereader, and then repeat the above steps.