Something is Happening to the Kindle Voyage

Remember earlier this year when the basic Kindle disappeared from the Kindle listings on Amazon.com, only to return a few days later?

It looks like that situation has recurred.

While writing a post on Amazon's new trade-in offer this morning, I noticed that the Kindle Voyage was no longer listed in the menus or the comparison charts on the Kindle product pages. If you look right now you will see only the basic Kindle, the Paperwhite, and the Oasis.

Something is Happening to the Kindle Voyage e-Reading Hardware Kindle A certain fool has jumped to the conclusion that the Voyage has been discontinued (just like he did last time). He was wrong then, and I suspect that he is wrong now, which is why I will merely note that the Voyage is absent.

It would make sense that Amazon would  discontinue the Voyage, though. It is four years old, and it has the clunkiest design. It's not cheap like the basic Kindle, or minimalist like the Paperwhite, or premium like the Kindle Oasis. Retiring the Voyage would leave Amazon with 3 Kindle targeting three distinct types of users.

The Voyage would add nothing to that, which why it would make sense to discontinue it - if that is actually what happened.

1. Carmen Webster Buxton1 August, 2018

I love my Kindle Voyage! It lets me read one handed, which is a real advantage in some situations, as when a cat has draped himself over one arm. I don’t find it clunky at all.

2. Doug1 August, 2018

I hope I wasnt the fool.

3. Mike Cane2 August, 2018

Hmph. August 2nd, 7:35AM EDST. No Voyage listed in Comparison chart. *shrugs* *goes back to eScooters and eSkateboards*

4. DaveMich2 August, 2018

I have spent time with every Kindle except the Oasis, and my Voyage is my favorite. It is hardly “clunky” (humph) – it is significantly thinner and lighter than the models below it on the price scale, and that make a big difference in a device you are holding up for literally hours on end. Also, unlike the Oasis, you don’t have to flip it over when you transfer it from one hand to another. The haptic page press is nice too. If it is totally discontinued then I am certainly buying another one as they are phased out.

My own thoughts are that Amazon will be upgrading the kindles with bluetooth and audible software support. I’m hoping that’s what we’re seeing.

5. Tom S2 August, 2018

The Voyage is the same Kindle ‘generation’ as the Paperwhite: 7th. I have both devices, and the Voyage is by far the better device. But for most people Paperwhite will be a better value especially given the latter has been discounted a number of times, and no doubt sales volume of the Paperwhite is much greater than Voyage.

Most likely the Voyage has not been in production for some time now, and stock is depleted. With the Oasis in the lineup, there is little need to have a second ‘premium’ device. Instead we’ll see a replacement for the Paperwhite, with some hardware upgrades (more storage, faster CPU, Bluetooth).

6. Julie2 August, 2018

I guess when my Voyage someday bites the dust I’ll go to the Paperwhite. The Oasis is out of my price range.

1. Ingo Lembcke22 August, 2018

Re “With the Oasis in the lineup, there is little need to have a second ‘premium’ device.”

Not really caring about price, I never considered the Oasis after skimming the information of a few reviews.
      With 4 device tiers (Basic, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis) I do value the Voyage as a lower price premium (now dated and missing features), Oasis and Oasis 2 as a high price premium. When I shopped for the next device, I managed to snap up a black friday deal on a Tolino epos here in Germany in a Thalia store.
      The Hardware is rather good, the software ok for epubs, bad and rather basic for PDF, Kindle is way better. Would have liked to compare in store to Kobo or Barnes&Nobles, but these are currently not available in Germany.

If an updated version of the Voyage or a new Kindle model (no Aluminium case, symmetrical) with a flush screen gets offered, I will check it out and seriously consider it. Paperwhite not so much.

7. Jax3 August, 2018

The Voyage a clunky design did I read that right? My goodness nothing could ne further from the truth. That would go to the oasis with is weird uneven shape and handle, or even the even paperwhite with its hefty weight and monstrous bezels. The voyage is by far the best kindle the Amazon ever made.

8. R. Barnett4 August, 2018

“it has the clunkiest design”?? As compared to what? 🙂

9. Javi8 August, 2018

in Spain disappeared from the catalog at least two months ago

10. Vince9 August, 2018

Another fan of the Voyage here. The best Kindle ever.

11. JLP20 August, 2018

Funny. I always thought the Oasis was “clunky-looking” since it was essentially a square, has that weird back, and those odd buttons only on one side. None of those things would necessarily keep me from buying one, but I already have a Voyage and like it just fine.

12. Teresa25 September, 2018

Well guess I will keep my voyage as long as it lasts then. I never did like the shape of the oasis, and my backup kindle is a paperwhite. Guess no new device for me until they rethink that.

13. Fede17 October, 2018

One clunky thing is certainly the Oasis!

Kindle Voyage is perfect: form factor, weight, screen, functions. Exudes quality all around. I have 4 readers and Would never change the Voyage for any other currently offered. Sadly found it disappeared from Amazon without notice when looking for a gift for my girlfriend.

14. FDG17 October, 2018

I think Amazon discontinued the Voyage because it´s ahead of its time. Capacity, Screen, form factor and Built Quality are simply perfect. The Oasis in my experience it’s a subpar reader: maybe I got accustomed to the Voyage screen, the comfort & feel in my hand but first unconsciously then consciously the Oasis gets ignored every time I fly. I hope new generations of Kindle readers pivot around the Voyage instead of the Oasis.

15. Robert Schechtter19 October, 2018

I love the kindle voyage. It is easy to read, easy to turn the page. Just touch the screen anywhere on the right side and you’re on the next page. And the voyage is narrow enough that I can slip it into my jacket inner pocket and always have it available. The Oasis is TOO WIDE. Hey Amazon, don’t kill the Voyage!!!

16. Teresa27 October, 2018

Hope the Voyage is not truly cancelled. Im praying they are merely updating it. I carry my Voyage everywhere it is my all time favorite of the kindles. Amazon should add audible to it and leave it in the lineup. I will need to see color e-ink before I update again otherwise. I have a paperwhite as a backup device, and dont like the look, feel or price of the oasis. So Amazon will have a bit of time before I look for a device elsewhere if they dont improve the Voyage and sell it again.

17. Deb7 November, 2018

I’m on my second Voyage, after I accidentally leant on the first with my elbow and cracked the screen, and I love it. Don’t get the clunky comment at all. Tried the paper white prior to Voyage but switched because the screen kept ‘tearing’ (white dots on two devices) and haven’t looked back. Bought a replacement Voyage same day and the Oasis is never going to be an option. Ugly, clunky and £££

Was planning to buy a Voyage as a Christmas gift but no chance now..

Best ereader out there.