Did You Know Google Now Limits Search Results to Only 300 to 400 Links?

Did You Know Google Now Limits Search Results to Only 300 to 400 Links? Google

Here's something new I learned at the Computers in Libraries conference this week.

Google may claim to have indexed a million or more results for the term you're searching for, but they can't actually show you more than a tiny fraction of the results. Gary Price, founder and publisher of InfoDocket, told me that Google now limits the actual number of search results it shows you to anywhere between 300 and 400.

I've tested it, and he's right. My searches petered out after the 330th, 349th, and 307th result. The other million or so search results that Google claimed to have found may as well never have existed.

It appears this state of affairs has existed since August 2016, but this is the first I have heard about it. I've rarely gotten as high as the 150th result before, much less 300.  Usually I give up by the third page and instead refined my search terms to narrow the search.

How about you? Do you think we're missing out on hidden gems?

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. Disgusting Dude27 March, 2019

What about BING?

2. Joseph Sanchez28 March, 2019

That was the idea behind deep dive, which would search a lot deeper and more thoroughly than Google’s search, but it just couldn’t catch on and honestly did not really perform that much better than Google. I have always told audiences and my students that in theory we know somewhere buried in those millions of Google links is exactly what we are looking for, but we doing have the time. The problem is really logistics and human neurology. Our brains are not developed or prepared to sift, search, or engage with the massive amounts of information available to us today. We see this problem even in academia where highly qualified subject experts exhibit the same search behaviors as their untrained students.

So yes, we are missing out on hidden gems, but if we remember what Calvin Mooer’s research taught us, we probably don’t want those gems all that much anyway.

3. Frank31 March, 2019

I have never seen anything useful past 100 hits, so might as well stop at 300,

4. M. H.2 April, 2019

Having worked for a tech giant before, I can say there are typically three things that affect search results:

1. Relevancy to words indexed
    2. Bandwidth capacity
    3. Paid sources of information

Remedial as it may sound, search engines use crawler algorithms to return existing page results and sorts them in order of highest relevancy to the words entered.

Not even the best search engines have the bandwidth to show you everything, they would crash! So some results are hidden, waiting for you to type in a more relevant search to their content.

Finally, companies use paid services to ensure their products and features are tied to words most often used in search, which is why you may have seen some unrelated sites populate.

I don’t think there is anything truly “hidden” from view here. If you want to find someyhing hidden, just know what you’re looking for. 😉

5. […] 300. The maximum number of search results Google returns for a query. Source: Digital Reader […]

6. N4 November, 2019

Wow. You think a human cant handle more than 300 web pages or does not have time or reason to see the expanded results? This is a move to save money and promote their biggest bussiness. How dare anybody say that access to 99.999999% of information available doesn’t matter. This is the intentional burning of THE global library and the intellectual power of mankind all for GREED.