You Tell Me: What Device Are You Reading on Right Now?

You Tell Me: What Device Are You Reading on Right Now? Open Topic

Every so often I like to ask what devices - print or digital - people are reading. So, readers - what are you reading on right now? Magazine, hardback, or paperback? Kindle, smartphone, or tablet?

I'll go first.

Right now I am doing most of my reading on my Android smartphone and on my iPad (although I did read one of John Scalzi's books in print). The iPad is great for reading and taking notes on long documents and articles, but it cost enough that I don't want to risk taking it anywhere. And that's fine because I carry my smartphone everywhere, and thanks to the fact that I can get matching apps on my iPad and phone, I can easily switch back and forth between the two devices without losing my place.

So what are you reading on?

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. Mike Hall5 May, 2019

Since I’m currently reading your blog I’m using an Asus 10″ Android tablet (though I sometimes read it on one of my PCs). If I was reading fiction it would almost always be an ebook on a Paperwhite or an Oasis (though non fiction is mostly on paper or, if ebook, is read on the tablet). As for your choice of an android smartphone, I only download a book to mine if its an emergency, typically if I’m stuck away from home with nothing to read.

2. Xavier Basora5 May, 2019

Nathan.

I alternate between my A9 smartphone and the Galaxy tab tablet

xavier

3. Steve H.5 May, 2019

While I have an Oasis 2, I recently purchased a Kobo Forma. Amazon is LONG overdue for the return to a larger device. Going from a 7″ to 8″ in screen size makes a huge difference for me.

Kindle Oasis pros:
    Ability to search through entire library for one to a couple words. Fantastic if you have a huge library.
    Bold font control on imported fonts.
    Even screen lighting
    Highlights from other readers visible
    Wide assortment of alternative dictionaries…my Favorite is Webster’s Third New International Dictionary Unabridged(purchased on sale) , much better than default dictionary
    Vocabulary Builder
    Inverted black and white option

Kobo Forma pros:
    8″ screen….Too me this makes a HUGE Difference.
    Light temperature control. Another BIG plus
    More font sizes
    More margin options
    Page numbers
    Options to show title or footer
    Comfortable and secure to hold

4. Harmon5 May, 2019

I read your blog on an iPad Pro. But I don’t read digital books on that device, with exceptions for ones which have pictures or maps & such that I want to see in a large format.

For ebooks, I use both versions of the Kindle Oasis – the large one I keep by my bed because it’s light, & won’t bother my wife if she wants to go to sleep sooner than I do, and the small one for bus & train, because it fits nicely in a cargo or jacket pocket. I’ve recently been reading on an iPad mini that has a permanent home by my Official Living Room Chair.

I don’t read books on my phone – unless you count audiobooks – largely because when I know I’m going to have reading opportunities while moving about the planet, I bring the little Oasis or listen to an audiobook.

I find myself reading more on paper these days, but only in the evening when I’m using the OLRC. There are a number of reasons for this – ease on my aged eyes, esthetic appeal & variety of the interface, ability to visually assess stopping points, no need to maintain a charge, and to some extent, lack of digital availability.

But the biggest factor for my use of paper is the ability to visually select my reading for the evening – I have the proverbial book pile by the OLRC, & since I tend to have several print books going at once, I can select my evenings reading from the “buffet”.

With paper, it’s a whole lot easier to keep track of what I have not read, and to select a new book to read from among ones I already own, than it is on a digital device. I’m a very visual person from an organizational point of view. When I was gainfully employed, I used the “open pile” system of organizing my files. One problem I have with reading books is that I own way more books than I will ever actually read, & on a digital device, I just lose track of them..

5. Paul5 May, 2019

IPad Pro and MacBook Pro. Occasionally I’ll bring the paper white along if reading on metro or outside.

6. Gregg5 May, 2019

Kindle Oasis (original) and Kindle app on iPhone.

7. William Ockham5 May, 2019

Hmmm….
    A print book (non-fiction originally published before 2007 usually only works in print).
    Fiction mostly on my iPad mini because the Kindle Unlimited experience is so much better than my Kindle Voyager. I switch to my Kindle for late night reading. Recent narrative non-fiction on the iPad mini.
    Also a PDF from LeanPub that I am reading on my Surface Book 2.
    Work stuff on high dpi 24 inch screens.
    Twitter, Slack, etc. on all of the above (except the Kindle)

8. Anthony5 May, 2019

I do my digital comic and ebook reading on a Fire HD 8 tablet. I bought it since it was cheap (didn’t have the money for an iPad at the time). There’s also my smartphone (an iPhone 6S Plus) for some reading when not at home.

9. Charlie5 May, 2019

Recently got an Onyx BOOX Nova Pro. Am really enjoying it’s larger 7.8″ e-ink screen over my Kindle Paperwhite.

10. Danny6 May, 2019

I’m currently reading a book on an Android tablet. I prefer eInk displays, as I start at a monitor all day for work, but this book had me reaching for a dictionary every other page, so it’s just easier for me to read in the Kindle app as oppressed to the actual Kindle.

11. KC6 May, 2019

Small form factor: Kindle paperwhite
    Large form factor: Likebook Mimas – handles PDFs well

12. Marilynn Byerly6 May, 2019

Samsung Nook with the Kindle Reader for library and free books.

13. Aaron6 May, 2019

Kindle Paperwhite (6G) for books, Kindle Fire HDX for magazines.

1. Orlando7 May, 2019

I have a kindle dx dedicated to cookbooks. Bigger screen means less page turns.
      Books are read on kindle keyboard and audiobooks heard on a kindle touch.

14. Bill Smith6 May, 2019

I read mostly on my cheapo ZTE android phone (it was about $30) and my 11-inch Chromebook. For digital comics, I change my orientation to 270, plus in an external mouse and my Chromebook serves as a surprisingly good comic book reader.

15. Joe T.6 May, 2019

Oh man, so many different readers for a person who switches around various books:
    – Yotaphone 2
    – Kindle Paperwhite
    – Sony PRS-350
    – Kindle Keyboard
    – Kindle Touch
    – Kindle DX for PDFs, most pre-processed through k2pdfopt
    – Kindle HD10 tablet for National Geographic and NCAA basketball rules (faster navigation than KDX).

16. Steve Z.6 May, 2019

Generally I alternate between a Kobo Aura One for at home reading and my phone (MoonReader+ on a Galaxy 8) away from home. I use the TTS feature in MoonReader to read aloud while I am driving to and from work.

17. Elvis Rowe6 May, 2019

Kobo Aura One which was an upgrade from an original Nook Simple Touch.

18. Amy An6 May, 2019

I read almost exclusively on my android phone.

19. george zunic6 May, 2019

read books in print, generally the hardcover or large-print edition.
    prefer the amazon 10″ fire tablet for news articles.
    when out and about read on my smart phone with a 5.2″ screen.
    at home, read digital books on the kindle paperwhite.

20. Al Kendall6 May, 2019

Kobo mini & 10″ Nook Android Tablet

21. Fbone6 May, 2019

iPhone and iPad using Play app

22. Kamen7 May, 2019

Right now, I’m reading mostly on my PW2 (yes, it’s showing its age, but it’s been working flawlesly for ages, and still gets the latest fw updates).

Graphics -heavy pdfs, library loans (I’m in Spain, local libraries use Adobe DRM) are read via a variety of apps on a Fire 7″ (2017), which is decent, as far as reading goes.

I have only ever used my smartphone to locate a particular note/quote/highlight, and very rarely. I am not easily separated from my Paperwhite.

23. Jeremy7 May, 2019

KoReader on Kobo Clara HD

24. Zally7 May, 2019

For years I’ve used, mainly, the nook e-ink devices. But I also have libraries with all other known book apps which I had to use either on my phone or my tablet. I had been waiting for a e-ink device where I could have all my reading apps together. I now have the Boox Nova Pro where I can also take notes, make notes, etc., and I’m enjoying the bigger display. I have to say, it is really nice to be able to switch apps within one device with the advantage of the e-ink.

25. Heather Hicks8 May, 2019

I have an old Kindle, but it works fine for me! Reading Gary Dickson’s An Improbable Pairing on it as we speak. If you like Historical Romance then this is your play!