FictFact is Shutting Down

FictFact is Shutting Down Amazon

A reader has tipped me to the news that the FictFact service has shut down. (Thanks, Eric!) The company sent the following notice to users:

We recently lost our primary source of income, Amazon Associate sales. Due to a minor error on our part, we unknowingly had in infraction of their terms. We tried to appeal after we corrected the issue, but was not successful and they terminated our account. Over the years, we have had donations from our wonderful supporters, but it is not enough to cover our operating costs. We are extremely sad to have to close down the site after almost 10 years. Thank you for all your support over the years!!

Please login to download your book data as a CSV file before July 1, 2019.

I will confess that I have never heard of the site, but apparently it helped readers keep track of the release of new books in a series or by a specific author.

That sounds like something you can do with Amazon or Goodreads, doesn't it?

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. jdefgts21 May, 2019

This site will be missed. I have relied on FictTact for years. Since learning of the closing I have searched unsuccessfully for a site that can duplicate its functions. This looks like an opportunity for Amazon to easily set up a similar service. If they do not, Google could jump in and beat Amazon to the punch. I consistently used FictFact to place my book orders through Amazon. Some other bookseller will get my business if they duplicate this functionality.

1. Robert Bannister31 May, 2019

There is nothing like Fictfact. I will miss it a great deal.

2. Gill Hart22 May, 2019

I too will miss them VERY much as they were really useful for keeping track of all the authors and series I follow

3. Eric22 May, 2019

Goodreads.com offers something fairly close to FictFact. Not quite the same, and not nearly as easy to navigate, but passable.

Search for a book in the series you’re curious about. Scroll down and look at the bottom right side of the page. There is a section “Other Books in the Series”. Click that link and it takes you to a page listing the books of the series, in order.

4. Melissa23 May, 2019

What I’m going to miss is the calendar function. I could click on a date and see exactly what was coming out then. I used it extensively to plot when I’d be able to purchase books or start haunting BookBub for sale prices. I haven’t found another site that can duplicate this. 🙁

5. Jen23 May, 2019

Interesting that a site that does something similar to “Amazon or GoodReads (which Amazon owns)” has been shut down by Amazon. The Internet is becoming a monopoly…

6. Cathy Koch24 May, 2019

NOOOOO! How will I keep track of which book to read next in a series? Who will tell me another book is coming out? I’ve depended on Fictfact.com for years. Very sad.

7. Ana24 May, 2019

The problem is getting to know of new releases, not every author updates Amazon or Goodreads, and they don’t always alert you of new books. In the past luzme.com sometimes did it, but after being down for a lot of time, although they are up and running d again, they’re database is not very complete. What’s mostly working for me is Tracknewbook.com, but I also get alerted when old books get new editions, so there’s a lot of false positives.

8. Anne29 May, 2019

fantasticfiction.com has recently added some features that seem to do all that fictfact.com did. I haven’t played with it much but it seems to work well though I don’t find the interface as friendly as fictfact.com.

9. Alison Maehrlein31 May, 2019

Oh no….it was such a great site to keep me on track with the next book in a series. Looks like I’ll be going back to starting a book and realizing I’ve already read it. Hope somebody can pick up the slack. Haven’t found anything even close to being comparable.

10. Charlene Delaney5 June, 2019

This is terrible! I am going to miss FictFact so much! I like to read older series books and this was a great place to keep track of what to read next and what I’ve already read, in order. Super bummed!

11. Kelly Wong6 June, 2019

fictiondb.com has a lot of similar features to fictfact (series lists, new books, favorite author emails).

If you have an export from FictFact, we can upload the books into the site for you.

1. Amy W11 June, 2019

I’m game but don’t see how to upload FictFact csv. They have a bulk upload but it asks for only 200 in a certain format.

2. Michelle20 June, 2019

I do not see how to upload the information

12. SoozB17 June, 2019

Please help me bring them back by adding to my petition at Change.org. The link is http://chng.it/cwQJ2MQJwH

13. lionrose27 June, 2019

I am devastated. I had over 300 series on fictfact. I have tried to make lists on some of the aforementioned sites here but I had to make my own lists and they were not sorted by author or by series. It was far simpler to follow fictfact’s existing lists and then mark each book off as it was read. Fictfact would show you a list of all your series and let you know which book you had up next in the series on the main page when you logged in. Goodreads does not work the same way at all. You have to add each book individually and they don’t alway fall in order. In fact, I found dozens of books listed for a series that has less than 20 books and even allowing for novellas and those little vignettes that authors write it was impossible to make sense.

14. Terri5 July, 2019

I too loved FictFact and missed the deadline to log in and download my history of books and authors… Now I have no other record of my series and history outside of my fictfact login.. I wish I would have known before July 1 🙁

15. Veronica23 July, 2019

I will truly miss fictfact. It not only helped me keep up with all the series I read, but it also helped me keep up with the release dates of new books in a series. When I find a new series, it would list all the books so I can read the series in order. Gosh, I’m going to miss this.