Nook Glowlight Plus Features a 7.8″ Screen, Retails for $199

So it would seem that new Nook ereader that showed up on the FCC website last month is not a replacement for the Nook Glowlight 3; instead, it is a larger model.

Barnes & Noble sent out a press release on Thursday announcing the Nook Glowlight Plus, a 7.8" ereader designed and built be Netronix. This device has not been posted to B&N's website, so right now the press release is all I have. (The image at right is a placeholder until the official images are posted,)

Nook Glowlight Plus Features a 7.8" Screen, Retails for $199 Uncategorized

I don't yet have all the info on the Nook Glowlight Plus, but I can tell you it is waterproof, and has 8GB of storage, a color-shifting frontlight, and also page turn buttons.

According to the FCC paperwork, it also has a headphone jack, and was tested for Wifi and Bluetooth.

“We are thrilled to bring the new NOOK GlowLight Plus to customers with our largest high-resolution E-Ink screen yet,” said Bill Wood, EVP; President, Digital at Barnes & Noble.  “The waterproof, upgraded design makes reading easy, wherever you are. This new NOOK is in stores just in time for summer reading, Father’s Day, or for any book-lover that wants to experience the latest in digital reading.”

The ereader will be B&N stores on 27 May (Monday) and will be on sale on 29 May (next Nook Glowlight Plus). Retail is $199.

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. heidi steindel23 May, 2019

I hope to god the bezel is smaller or it will be mammoth sized 🙁

1. Nate Hoffelder23 May, 2019

I got an official photo from a press release site – the bezel is a little smaller, but not by much.

2. Frank23 May, 2019

Another big e-reader is great.

3. Steve H.23 May, 2019

Still waiting on Amazon to finally go large …everyone else has.

1. Nate Hoffelder23 May, 2019

that happened back in 2009

but I think it will happen again this year, yes

1. Steve H.24 May, 2019

You are correct…I actually owned a Kindle DX until it’s battery died. While today’s readers are more feature laden, I really liked a larger size option.

4. Brandon Hall24 May, 2019

I’m looking forward to hearing about its performance and if we can easily use other Android apps on it — after getting burned by buying a Glowlight 2, which had a nice screen but was ugh otherwise. The Likebook Mars seems to be ideal for the size and functionality, but it’s a bit more expensive.

5. Reader25 May, 2019

The Glowlight 3 does not allow adding sideloaded books to Collections/Shelves. This is not a bug, but a feature. While you may add a sideloaded book to a Collection/Shelf, it will not remain in the Collection/Shelf.
    The Nook Simple Touch and Kindles allowed sideloaded books to be added to Collections/Shelves.
    I assume that the newer Glowlight with the bigger screen will similarly not allow sideloaded books to be added to Collections/Shelves. A bigger screen and bigger storage capacity do not make up for not being able to add sideloaded books to Collections/Shelves.

6. Mike Cane25 May, 2019

Huh. I’ll have to start monitoring the xda forum to see how/if it can be hacked. I’ll try to remember to go see it on Monday (maybe) — but if there’s no card slot, why did they even bother? Heh, Just amused myself. If I go to see it on Monday, maybe I can take a pic and post it to my blog from one of their own Samsung tablets. Ha! Hmph, AFAIK, there’s just one walking-distance B&N that still carries Nook. And really, that’s a bit of a damn hike.

7. Mike Cane27 May, 2019

Have tried it. Will do a post. And that’s more energy than it’s worth, honestly.