Users Hate Calibre 4.0’s New eBook Viewer

If you use calibre to manage your ebook library and are fond of its ebook reading function, you might want to hold off on the latest update.

Calibre 4.0 was released on Friday. According to the changelog, one of the major improvements/changes was a new ebook viewer:

The calibre built-in E-book viewer has been completely rewritten. The new design emphasizes the book text, with no visible controls. The viewer now also shares a codebase with the in-browser viewer which will make developing new features such as the upcoming support for annotations much easier.

What that means is that the new viewer is missing the left sidebar menu found in the old viewer. You can see the new viewer in action in these screenshots.

The new viewer is reportedly faster, but that comes with a trade off; the footnotes for the changelog mention that the new viewer might break any fancy formatting notes or comments in your metadata: "The Book details panel now no longer uses a full browser engine for rendering. This makes it faster and less resource intensive, however it supports less HTML and CSS, which means if you used advanced styling in your comments it may not fully work".  (Note: that applies to the metadata, not the contents of a book, so it's really not a big deal.)

Nevertheless, in spite of the improvements, users are not happy with the changes to the interface. I was catching up on new discussion threads over on MobileRead this morning when I found multiple complaints in the calibre forum about the new app. For example:

I also have reverted to 3.48 from 4.0.

I miss the page numbers (rather than a %), the easy fast search for a dictiorary or web search, and the quick click for changing font sizes.

I have no issue with the small amount of margins taken up by the left and top toolbars--and they are immediately accessible.

A number of users are so unhappy that they found a way to circumvent the changes. Some reverted to an older version of calibre, but others instead installed a second (and older) copy of calibre, and hanged various settings so that ebooks were opened using the older calibre's ebook veiwer.

You can find more details on that over on MobileRead.

How do you plan to respond to the change?

Me, I plan to continue to use the version of calibre I have right now (3.41). It's stable, and does everything I need, so there's no good reason to replace it.

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. […] was working on the calibre 4.0 post this morning when I discovered a new calibre feature. Well, it's not new so much as I hadn't […]

2. gbm6 October, 2019

I like the new viewer.

3. Edward Helldane6 October, 2019

I’ma staying at 3.48 fee now. The management UI is supposed to be faster with 4.0, which is good, but there are so many changes that I’d rather wait while any bugs are worked out.

Also, I’d like to see more modification on the viewer: having both a basic focused fewer & a version with a customizable quick actions bar would be a great update.

If the devs had polled the users, they likely would’ve learned that this decision would polarize the userbase.

Course people can always install 2 versions and use the old viewer and the new ebook manager…

4. Kibru Mamusha7 October, 2019

I was trying to download my favorite newspaper. The current update (v4) only provide you a portion of the article you want to read. The other option comes with a link to the source, which, obviously, demands for registration and some payment.

5. Xavier Basora7 October, 2019

Nate

Sticking with 3,48. I’ll be waiting for at least 2 update cycles or so before I change. I like the viewer but it appears to be rushed and the QT software still new.

So no need to update until the bugs have been ironed out.

xavier

6. John Cosgrave7 October, 2019

I like the new bookreader in Calibre 4.0. It is a much cleaner interface than the old one. I still prefer Moonreader for reading, and a fast reader for checking books is ideal for Calibre.

7. Lynn7 October, 2019

I really like the new viewer. As soon as it gets a little smoother paging between sections, it’ll be great.

All it takes to get to the settings is a tap of the ESC key and it works like a charm. đŸ™‚

I definitely prefer it over the old version. The old version never sized to my screen right and I always had to adjust it the moment I opened it, every single time.

8. Frank8 October, 2019

There is now a version 4.1 that might fix the viewer issues.

9. ToolGuyFred9 October, 2019

I tried to install 4.1 this morning on Debian 8. The installer trashed my previous installation and completely failed to install the new. I am just a humble user and it took an hour to find out how to uninstall 4.1 and re-install 3.48 manually. That’s an hour I’ll never get back. Very unhappy.

10. Drew Krix12 October, 2019

I really like the style and layout of the new reader, the only drawback is it is much slower than the vers. 3 reader in opening a book (picture of a rotating cog gets old quickly), and stops to think for a while between pages every now and then (again, the cog). This is calibre 4.1 (I think I skipped vers 4.0 due to vacation).
    However, this doean’t really affect me much as I do all reading on my smart phone, just use the calibre reader for checking format. Presume most users are similar(?).
    Calibre is such an enormously useful facility overall, surely allow a few brief not-so-perfect moments?

11. Neha B13 October, 2019

I also reverted back to 3.48. I just didn’t like the new viewer. There are are some many useful things in the toolbar … Like adjusting my font size or finding a word or switching to the table of contents. I really don’t like having to remember shortcuts or switching to ugliest menu and hunting for the right setting.

12. alex k.13 October, 2019

I can’t set two pages on screen in fullscreen mode, only three pages.

13. Allen Wade14 October, 2019

I loaded the 64 bit version into windows 7 professional 64bit. i cannot even get the new reader to display correctly. I keep ending up with a mosaic of partial pages poking out all over the place. using the menu is a joke. as you approach the item you want to select it keeps jumping to another part of the window. If the devs wanted to drive users to another product there is no better way they could have done it. i will try an external reader, but likely will end up reverting.

14. ROBBERT VINK15 October, 2019

I HAVE UPDATET MY CALIBRE BUT THE EBOOK VIEWER IS NOT WT I WANT I CANT SEE THE PAGES AND I MIS THE TOOL BAR

15. […] Programm Calibre ist um eine Funktion und ein umfassendes Update reicher – es kann nun Epub 3-Dateien […]

16. Bob1 November, 2019

I like the look of the new viewer, but it is so slow to load a book, and then there are big delays sometimes between sections. Horrible when looking through a book for something (instead of just reading start to finish). I wish more work had been done on functionality and less on appearance.

17. jay12 November, 2019

I immediately uninstalled it and put the older version back. Looked like absolute trash and less user friendly, the typical evolution of every website and software.

1. Nate Hoffelder12 November, 2019

I am sticking with the old version of calibre. It works fine for what I need it to do, so I have no reason to update.