What is Your Favorite Feed Reader App?

Earlier today I set out to write a round up post on the topic of feed reader apps. I am trying to devote Sunday morning to staying in bed and catching up on my news feeds on my iPad, and I thought that would be a great reason to download all the apps, test them, and then write a blog post talking about which one was best.

But then I found the list of compatible apps, and I realized the project may take more time than I have to spare.

I haven’t really looked at this topic since about 2014, and I was frankly surprised to see that the list of options had grown so long. Speaking of which, there’s an app missing from the list: your web browser.

I am a paying subscriber of the Bazqux feed reader, and I read it in Chrome on my iPad. It works so well that I have no real need to find an app to replace it.

I will start trying those apps, but in the meantime I wanted to get recommendations.

What app should I try? Which one do you think is best?

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills weekly. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. Doug30 January, 2021

Feedly

1. Christopher Harris1 February, 2021

+1 for Feedly. Great on iOS and desktop via web.

2. J.E. Clark30 January, 2021

Feedly

3. Joe30 January, 2021

Inoreader. I use it on PC, IOS, and Kindle Fire. Syncs great across devices. Frequently updated. Tons of features. Can’t recommend it enough.

4. Elvis Rowe30 January, 2021

Since you’re using BazQux, have you thought of moving to a self-hosted install of Tiny Tiny RSS (https://tt-rss.org/)? I’ve been using it for years and it’s great.

1. Nate Hoffelder30 January, 2021

Now that I have my own VPS, I really should do that.

2. Brian Bloom30 January, 2021

I used ttrss for a long time, but I got super annoyed by the snotty attitude of the devs. Finally just abandoned it.

5. Josh Gunderson30 January, 2021

I also spent way too much time looking into Feed Readers after Google killed theirs (whenever that was), eventually went with Inoreader, and have been paying for their Pro tier since.

6. Brian Bloom30 January, 2021

I am liking Flym right now. I installed it and Feedly together, and it won.

7. JM30 January, 2021

I replaced reeder with NetNewsWire. Mine is setup to sync with feedly, but it supports on device subscriptions.

8. John30 January, 2021

Combo of Feedly classic, apple news, and Flipboard. Articles sent to Instapaper for read later.

9. Tagrus31 January, 2021

News Explorer is great if you’re fully in Apple’s ecosystem. It’s a local client, but syncs your feeds and read status across iCloud.

1. Scott Lewis31 January, 2021

I second News Explorer. I was a long time Reeder fan but News Explorer beat them to the punch on being native for Apple Silicon so I bought that rather than Reeder’s latest version.

On the Android side I never found a better reader than Press Reader but it was abandoned years ago alas.

10. AndyHat31 January, 2021

I use newsblur.com, via web on my PC, and with their iOS app. I particularly love the ability to turn email newsletters into feeds, so I can get email, RSS and twitter all in one place.

11. Adam31 January, 2021

I enjoy NewsBlur, there is a web version as well as an app for iOS and Android.

12. Alex31 January, 2021

Reeder

13. Art Kavanagh31 January, 2021

Partly for nostalgic reasons, I’m using NetNewsWire on iPad. It’s available for the Mac as well but syncing is available only through Feedbin and Feedly (for now), so I just use it on iPad (for now). Before NNW was available for iPad, I was using Reeder 4 and was happy with it.

14. James31 January, 2021

Feedly! Heck, that’s how I was informed of this article

15. Matteo31 January, 2021

NetNewsWire is great on my Mac. It syncs with Feedly on my Android phone.

16. Char31 January, 2021

Feedly

17. Tim Illingworth31 January, 2021

Feedly website in Chrome on Win10.
    Feedly app on Android.

18. Snow31 January, 2021

FeedlerPro is what I use.

19. Gustavspeed31 January, 2021

Newsify

20. Robin Covington31 January, 2021

Feedly app.

21. Rob31 January, 2021

Inoreader. I searched for a long time after Goggle reader shuttered. On my desktop or laptop computer, I appreciate that it uses the same keyboard shortcuts to quickly sift through my feeds. It’s also valuable to me that it easily forwards longer articles to my instapaper account, which I read on my Kindle.

22. Paul K Biba31 January, 2021

Feedbin in my browser works just as well and any iOS or Android app that I’ve tried.

23. EJC31 January, 2021

Newsblur on my phone, tablet, and PC. I also have a Chrome extension, RSS Subscription Extension (by Google), that lets me find the feeds that are not as easy to locate.

24. John31 January, 2021

Inoreader is a no brainer if you’re in the “power user” category. Extremely powerful and efficient

25. Kamen31 January, 2021

I use Feedly (smartphone, tablet, or browser).

I used to combine Feedly with elfeed when I am working in Emacs, but I don’t keep both feed collections in sync, so I’m using elfeed less and less these days.

26. Fahirsch1 February, 2021

NetNewsWire, ios and Mac, mostly on iPhone

27. Lezuzius1 February, 2021

One more vote for feedly!

28. Daniel1 February, 2021

Another vote for Newsblur. The social parts of it remind me of the dearly departed father of most RSS apps, Google Reader.

29. S. J. Pajonas1 February, 2021

I’m going to bookmark this for the future! I’m currently using a self hosted app called Fever but it’s been out of development for a few years. Still works great! But I suspect one of these days it’ll stop working when the PHP outpaces it.

30. Michael1 February, 2021

I use Liferea every day and like it a lot.

31. Anthony1 February, 2021

I use Feedly on my laptop (via browser) and its iOS app (on my iPad/iPhone). It’s worked fine for me.

32. Rick Gill1 February, 2021

I’ve been using Feedly Pro some time and recently upgraded to Feedly Pro+ On my iPad and iPhone. On occasion I’ll use Feedly via Chrome on my PC.

33. lumpynose2 February, 2021

Feedly in Firefox on Windows 10. Your article title confused me since it never used the term RSS but all of the Android apps use that term. To me they’re RSS feeds, not merely feeds, but maybe I’m old school.

34. Johanna2 February, 2021

NetNewsWire. I’ve been using it “forever” and like it.

35. The Rodent2 February, 2021

Wanting a stand-alone feed app for Windows, I now use QuiteRSS.

36. patrick6 March, 2021

i use RSS Reader it really helps to follow feeds and podcasts and it is very customizable

37. JOhn10 March, 2021

I use Mosaiscope (www.Mosaiscope.com)

I use it for 2 super powerful features they came up with:
    – Pinpoint Bookmarking (only seems to work on their iOS app). It allows you to mark exactly where you left off in an article, down to the word, to get back to the exact spot instantly.
    – The other feature is called Email Subscribe. I’ve seen a few other RSS clients added this feature recently as well, but I remember that these folks pioneered it. Basically, they give you an email address and you can use that email address to either subscribe to newsletters, or you can keep getting them to your personal email address but set up forwarding on it and forward it to the Mosaiscope Email Subscribe email address. It shows up in the Mosaiscope RSS reader under it’s own tab. It’s life changing. Keeping the newsletter garbage out of my personal inbox = Love.

That’s where I’m at:)