Happy 40th birthday: 44 + 6 great wishes & messages
The 40th birthday is an important milestone in life. For many, it is the golden mean of life and a time when life consolidates. We have sayings, quotes and texts that will help you find beautiful words for a happy 40th birthday.
Like any round birthday, the 40th is usually celebrated in a big way. On this special occasion, write a birthday card or message that stands out and is perfect for the person celebrating.
Happy 40th birthday wishes
Like every round birthday, the fortieth also stimulates reflection. A new milestone has been reached and a whole decade has passed.
At this stage of life, most people are probably standing firm in life and have already experienced many exciting moments.
But at forty, you’re also still young enough to experience many more exciting things. A firm structure in life has already been formed and you can enjoy the security of your life situation. Many people don’t feel like they’ve really grown up until they’re forty.
It is important to highlight this special occasion and give the birthday boy or girl some kind words. After all, about half of life still lies ahead of him and there is no reason to label yourself as 'old' already at 40.
- Age is a funny thing. Some people let it affect their lives; others only see it as a new opportunity to live more.
- Life’s milestones are not supposed to be counted, they’re supposed to be celebrated. Happy birthday!
- With 40 you are not too old and not too young, with 40 you are just right.
- Age is but a number that you don’t have to reflect on the outside.
- Turning 40 is like a piece of cake and a few extra candles.
Sayings for 40th birthday
Below you will find different sayings in three categories. So you have the free choice what fits best to the birthday boy or girl you want to congratulate.
All unmarked sayings are from unknown authors.
Beautiful sayings for 40th birthday
Beautiful sayings always go. Especially at the 40th birthday it is not always easy to estimate how sensitive to the age is reacted. Beautiful sayings have the advantage of always sounding benevolent and formulated friendly.
With them you can not do much wrong, so use them for inspiration for your own text, as a supplement if you still have space on the card, write them on a gift tag or recite them in the form of a small speech.
The slightly longer sayings can also simply stand on their own in the birthday card and do not always require additional written text from you.
- 40 years – quickly they are gone to you,
the joy of life you could always preserve.
Good luck and joy, we wish you
you also in the next 40 years.
- Wow, you have mastered 40 years and can really look back proudly on your life. Good that you also still have many great plans for the future. Keep your strength and continue as before.
- So a round birthday must be celebrated properly: That’s why I wish you 40 colorful balloons, so you never forget to reach for the sky; 40 thick wool socks, so you never get cold feet and 40 good books, so that your head, your imagination and your eyes stay fit. In addition, there should be 40 great jokes, so that you always have something to laugh about, and of course 40 thick birthday candles, so that even on rainy days a light always shines for you.
Congratulations on your 40th birthday!
- May joy and peace surround you, contentment latch your door, and happiness be with you now and bless you evermore!
- 40 is not an age yet. Happy birthday to you!
- Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not here, so live today and enjoy the year.
- Look at all you’ve accomplished in a mere 40 years on earth. I can’t wait to see what you do next.
- With 40, life is quite pleasant.
The age is not yet a problem.
Do not chase after the youth
it’s no use anyway the resistance.
- What an amazing life you have had, with even more awesomeness still to come. Happy 40th!
- May this new decade be an upgrade. Happy 40th!
Beautiful sayings are suitable for almost everyone, because you can’t do much wrong with them. Wise sayings are great for professional contacts or acquaintances. Use them as well if you want to give a wisdom to someone you care about.
Choose a saying that you find beautiful, but furthermore keep in mind that it is important that the saying fits the birthday boy or girl.
Beautiful sayings, by the way, are also a great balance to funny sayings. They take the joyous occasion seriously and bring a smile to the face of the person who reads them.
Wise sayings for the 40th birthday
In this chapter you will find wise sayings for 40th birthday. They are a bit more serious and honor the occasion in a very special way. They are worded in such an appealing way that most of them are even suitable for professional contacts.
The following sayings do not directly address the round forty and are therefore particularly suitable for people who do not even want to hear this number on their birthday.
- And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
- Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.
- We don’t get older with the years,
we become newer every day.
- None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.
(Henry David Thoreau)
- Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time.
- When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.
- Of all the means to insure happiness throughout the whole life, by far the most important is the acquisition of friends.
(Epicurus of Samos)
I am glad that you and I have a deep friendship and that you have all your dearest friends around you today. Happy 40th birthday! I toast to the next 40 years of friendship with you.
- Friendship improves happiness, and abates misery, by doubling our joys, and dividing our grief.
(Marcus Tullius Cicero)
Make yourself aware of this happiness again and again. It does not matter how old we are. We loving people are not interested in age. It is a figment of our imagination. Love knows no age, it is unconditional. So rejoice that on your anniversary today, all the people who love you are thinking of you and celebrating with you.
- Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
So far, you’ve had a lot of stories worth telling. Make sure it stays that way and don’t let the new round number scare you away.
- As soon as you feel too old to do a thing, do it.
Rather than just writing happily and jokingly to yourself and being sprinkled with all the good luck wishes, wise sayings and quotes compress a wisdom of life that should not just be skimmed over briefly.
They offer potential for really thinking seriously about one’s birthday and life. Write them on one side of your birthday card and fill the other side with your own text.
In doing so, feel free to take inspiration from your chosen saying and elaborate on what it means to you or why you chose that saying. For better illustration, we have created short sample texts for you for some wise sayings.
Funny sayings for the 40th birthday
Cheeky and funny sayings for a birthday don’t go down well with everyone. Choose wisely who you send them to so you don’t hurt anyone’s feelings. After all, everyone has a different humor and not everyone can laugh at themselves.
Jokes about not being an adult at 40, on the other hand, are fine. They emphasize that the birthday boy is still youthful despite his age.
- Finally 40. Finally grown up.
- Welcome to 40, an age when you’re still young at heart, but other body parts are starting to falter.
- I hate to call you the F word, but… you’re forty! Happy Birthday!
- They are now gone, the storm and the urge.
And also the shackles of youthful compulsion.
- Hey you, at 40 you finally have an excuse not to party so often, but this privilege you should not abuse. So do not forget to still go out with me and dance until dawn.
- Aging is not for cowards. (From the U.S.) – Good thing you’re only crisp forty and still do not need to be afraid!
- You’re just as good looking as two 20-year-olds.
- 40 years old you are, age now has you firmly in its grip. Becoming frail, gray and stiff, but for this you are mature.
- Now you are 40, do not be angry.
You are now more mature and also smarter.
Have overcome many a wall
and are still full of power!
- No matter how hard it is to get out of bed, let 40 be the year you conquer it all.
- Most people will now make fun of your age. But not me! Because I do not make fun of old people.
- I’m really glad you haven’t lost your sense of humor along with your youth.
- If the years pass too quickly for you,
I know comfort,
forget for a moment the world,
come into my arms and then: Cheers!
- The secret of eternal youth is to lie when you are asked about the age – everything else is no use!
Especially on round birthdays, people often make speeches and toasts to get the mood going at the party and make the birthday boy or girl laugh.
If you can’t think of a personal anecdote to give, you can simply use one of our funny sayings. In case you don’t find what you’re looking for, here are some more funny sayings and funny jokes that you can use for a little 40th birthday fun.
You should rather use funny sayings for people you know well and can estimate. This way you have a guarantee that you won’t put your foot in your mouth.
Texts for your 40th birthday wishes
Life is ups and downs, but by the time you reach your 40th birthday, many have reached a point where a little more calm and steadiness has returned to your everyday life.
There is no question that you are still young and can still experience a lot, yet many find it difficult to accept their age on this birthday.
Therefore, be sensitive and formulate carefully so you do not spoil anyone’s mood on their birthday. We have created four sample texts for you to follow.
To a boyfriend or girlfriend
"To me, fair friend, you never can be old, For as you were when first your eye I ey’d, Such seems your beauty still."
(William Shakespeare, Sonnet 104)
I wish you only the best for your birthday and hope that our friendship will continue for the next 40 years. You are a great person, stay as you are.
To your older brother or sister
You have always been my role model. Even now I just want to turn 40 because of you, because I see how beautiful it can be. You still look really great and I wanted to tell you again on your special day how much you mean to me and how much I enjoyed growing up with you.
Even though we are both adults now, you always remind me of how wonderful it was to be a child and how important it is to keep that child. I wish you all the love and goodness in the world on your 40th birthday.
To your younger brother or sister
You’re finally ready too, that was faster than expected. And even though you will tease me again that I will always be older than you, congratulations on your 40th birthday. In return, I will always know before you what is coming at this age and what you will experience. So I am first and foremost a kind of wise oracle for you – and my second most important task is to give you the feeling of still being young.
Well, on that note, let’s have a toast to you and your special day today!
I love you very much.
To an acquaintance or colleague
"May you live all the days of your life."
Take advantage of your renewal today, let yourself be duly celebrated, and given gifts, you deserve it. I sincerely congratulate you on your special day and wish you all the best for the future.