Morning Coffee – 11 February 2019
Here are a few stories to read this Monday morning.
- This list of 113 free coloring books from museums looks cool until you notice that most are just scans of old print books (and not very good scans at that).
- HP’s printer ink subscription is free if you print 15 or fewer pages per month
- Books aren’t dead, Time proclaims.
- A new version of Heinlein’s "Number of the Beast is due out this year. Titled "Six-Six-Six", it is essentially a pastiche based on Heinlein’s unpublished notes and manuscripts.
- Google hasn’t paid much attention to Google Books for years, and it’s really starting to show.
If you have a tip for my link posts, here’s my contact page.
Mike Cane February 11, 2019 um 7:47 am
The deteriorating state of Google Books is very sad. In France, it’d be considered a crime against culture. AFAIK, ScanOps has been gone for quite some time, nothing new is being added, and Google’s latter leadership probably wishes it was something they never embarked upon. If I ever had a "dream job," it’d be to be in charge of Google Books and fix all the damn things I’ve personally encountered as broken — as well as to liberate the new tranche of books that are now public domain. I’d also sic the lawyers on the goddammed public domain parasites that DMCA away the freebies and kick them all the hell out of Google Books. Vote for me for Google Books Dictator. I will give it the glory it deserves,