Morning Coffee – 6 January 2020
Here are a few stories to read this first Monday in 2020.
- Despised by grammar nazis who were never able to stop it from being commonly used, the singular "they" has been voted the word of the decade.
- Goodreads has a troll problem, and they don’t seem to be able to fix it.
- Art from 1924 entered the public domain in the US this month. Here’s a selection of what critics thought was the worst at the time.
- Is screen time actually a threat, or is that fear just the latest obsession?
- Copyright maximalists in the EU have a new focus for their ire: Canada, and its "overly broad" fair use exceptions.
- The 100 biggest ed-tech disasters of the past decade.
- Bill Rosenblatt thinks subscription ebook services will take come into their own in the next decade. (I don’t see that happening.)
I am thinking of adding my own posts in a second section of links in this post. (I have found there are a lot of people reading this post but not even glancing at the titles of my work.) Good idea or bad idea?