Celebrate the Day Against DRM by removing it from your ebooks

Today, May 4th, is the international Day Against DRM.  This seems like a good day to share a new DRM removal tool. It's new to me, at least. I just read about it.

ePUBee is a 1 step removal tool for Epub and PDF encumbered by Adobe Adept DRM. Does the file require that you use Adobe DE to download it? Then this is the app to free it from DRM.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like this is just a 1 step process. That's great; the other techniques I had been using are not simple.

Folks, removing DRM is simply being prudent. It's called protecting yourself from unfortunate accidents (dead computer, failed ebookstores, etc). Everyone should do it.

ePUBee.com via Beranger

1. Krystian Galaj4 May, 2011

“Note: If using Win7 or Vista, click the program icon to “run as administrator”, ePUBee Drm Removal need file access permission.”
    Why exactly does this tool need such permissions? I smell malware.

1. Nate Hoffelder4 May, 2011

Because Win7 is really stupid about admin stuff. This isn’t unusual.

Do you know how WinXP used to require that you log in as admin to do certain stuff? With Win7 you need to get admin access at the time you do any number of actions. This involves nothing more than clicking an OK button, so it’s rather pointless.

2. Laura4 May, 2011

Please let us know what you think once you’ve installed and used the program.

3. Paul Kater4 May, 2011

I installed it and ran it against a copy of my DRM’d folder. Let me just say that I have nothing to complain about.
    Seriously.

4. Mikaela4 May, 2011

I am using Calibre plugins to strip the DRM. Works like a charm!

5. Void4 May, 2011

This is all good for ePub DRM, but what about the Kindle users among us? What should they do? If you are going to have a day against DRM post, it needs to deal with both of the two most popular DRM types.

1. Béranger4 May, 2011

For Kindle DRM try “DRM Tools Archive 3.7” that you can find here:

I mentioned it in my DRM-related post here:

mirror here:

1. Void4 May, 2011

The average user is not skilled enough to start using python scripts and probably not comfortable doing so even with detailed instructions. In order to truly be effective, there needs to be a simple interface for the lay user that they can just install and go. Otherwise, as far as the majority of users are concerned, the DRM is unbreakable.
        (Note: this is also my argument for why Linux has not caught on outside the tech community.)

1. Nate Hoffelder4 May, 2011

That’s exactly why i never gave instructions on how to strip DRM.

6. Fbone4 May, 2011

Looks similar to this commercial software:

7. It’s the Day Against DRM; does anybody care?4 May, 2011

[…] more control of the ebooks you’ve licensed or purchased, there are ways to remove the DRM. Here’s one way to remove Adobe Digital Editions DRM if you have a Windows PC. On a Mac running OS 10.5 or higher, […]

8. Dave Jetton4 May, 2011

The program works very well and is easy to use. It installed fine on my Vista 64 computer. Once I removed the DRM, I used Calibre to convert from EPUB to MOBI.

9. Chris4 May, 2011

http://www.ebook-converter.com/ has several tools as well.

10. Mark4 May, 2011

Thanks for the link to this program. I works perfectly on my Ubuntu machine using WINE. I’ve been wanting to strip DRM from my ebooks but have found Python scripts to be a bit over my head. Good stuff!

11. Dave Jetton5 May, 2011

This program does not work with books from Barnes & Noble. They use a unique method of DRM.

1. Void27 June, 2011

Does anyone have a method for getting the DRM off of B&N books?

1. Chris27 June, 2011

Aye. These folks http://www.ebook-converter.com/ have one for dealing with B&N books.