Curtis KLU 8029 8″ Android Tablet Now in Stores

I was running errands today when I happened to stop by my local BigLots store and find an 8" Android tablet from the Canadian gadget maker Curtis. It's an 8" model which i hadn't seen before, but from what I've found online it appears to have launched back in January.

The KLU 8029 looks to be a stock design from the Chinese chipmaker Rockchip, and it's running Android 2.3 on an RK2918 1.2GHz CPU. It has 512MB RAM, 4GB Flash storage, microSD card slot, a VGA webcam, USB Host, speaker/mike, and a g-sensor. The screen resolution is what I've come to expect from an 8" tablet (800x600), and the touchscreen is capacitive.

I found it priced at $120, making it a direct competitor with the many sub-$100 7" Android tablets that I've reviewed these past 6 months. And like those tablets, the build quality is adequate for the price. The camera is junk, of course.

This looks to be a design from last year, but I suppose you could have told that from the OS.  It still has the volume buttons on the upper edge, and next to them are menu and back buttons. Those last 2 are passe in the Android tablet market now, but they do still show up on older designs.

It ships with the usual apps (email, browser, file manager, etc) but it also comes with a surprise. You cannot see it in the app menu, but this tablet comes with Android Market as part of the original firmware. I found it by adding a widget for the AM to my Home screen and then clicking on the widget. I set up an account and downloaded apps. It then offered to upgrade itself to Google Play, which I was happy to accept.

I've only just gotten my hands on it, so I cannot make any pronouncements, but so far I haven't found a reason to return it. I'm planning to post a review next weekend.

Manuals

Specs

• RK2918 1.2GHz CPU
  • 512MB RAM
  • Android 2.3 Gingerbread
  • Screen resolution: 800x600
  • Capacitive touchscreen
  • 4GB Flash storage, microSD card slot
  • VGA webcam
  • USB Host
  • speaker/mike
  • g-sensor

1. cookie18 August, 2012

Here is my judgement: the tablet is an absolute piece of crap.

1. Syn18 August, 2012

LOL..

120, is kind of a lot now that Nook Color is coming down in price. What do you plan to do with it Nate, besides the review? I know you have better tablets.

1. Nate Hoffelder18 August, 2012

Except that the Nook Color is an ereader, not a tablet.

1. flyingtoastr19 August, 2012

That does everything this POS does minus the camera.

1. Nate Hoffelder19 August, 2012

Really? I didn’t know the NC read Kindle ebooks, accessed Google Play, and had USB host.

2. Mike Cane19 August, 2012

>>>The screen resolution is what I’ve come to expect from an 8? tablet (800×600)

I was excited until I saw that. Dammit. Archos can put a 1024×768 screen in 8″, why the hell can’t the rest of these lot?

Now go do my standard Google Books/Processed World PDF test.

3. Mostly Ghostly20 August, 2012

@NATE
    I’ve recently got my hands on one @ biglots also. Not the greastest, but still working with it!
    Maybe you can tell me, I haven’t been able to find the photo button to add pics to the gallery, did you?
    Thanks!

1. natjayles19 October, 2012

i cant use itunes? and it keeps dropping the internet? any idea why?

4. matt24 November, 2012

Its a great tablet for the price. I found this helpful to correct play store.

5. elizabeth santiago26 December, 2012

I love android tablet

6. dee28 December, 2012

How do you download on it?

7. Yo31 May, 2013

Klu tablet comes on fine, but is halted at android. What is the troubleshoot for this problem?

1. R J Parker1 May, 2015

I just got a Klu and can’t get It to start up right. I just get a Lock picture. Can you help?

8. Yo31 May, 2013

Klu Tablet is model no. LT7033D

9. just me22 June, 2013

We also got one at Big lots.. But like everyones saying drops internet often enough to T you off..

10. Chargerless19 September, 2013

I lost my Klu by Curtis 8′ tablet charger and have been unable to find one. Can you help me get another charger?

11. michael25 September, 2013

I have bought the 7in screen tablet and had to return it 3 times . I bought it for only 69.99 , so I guess it was a cheap one . But anyway the CPU in the 7in is outdated by 5 years and can not handle multi apps. Why don’t they recall them

12. Ramona13 December, 2013

You get what you pay for, sad but true, if it is a cheap price Most of the time in electronics then you will know it is a “cheap” product.

13. Deitra kinley27 January, 2014

Screen is crack where can I go to fixx it

14. dionne19 May, 2014

bought a Klu 7″ 1.2ghz mb 512mb ddr3 ram 4.1jelly bean was bought I feb.2014 by april it just stop working I cant get it to come on. didn’t get wet or didn’t drop it, in the middle of me playing a game it stopped what do I DO ABOUT THIS? HOW DO I CONACT THEM TO SEE IF THEIRS A WARRANTY? CAN THEY CONACT ME 225-221-8612

15. Lonnie Holland23 February, 2016

How do you set the date & time on the Klu 8029??