Here's a late Friday night surprise for you.

Amazon has quietly expanded the Kindle Store with ebooks in 5 additional languages: Russian, Hindi, Polish, Latin and Hungarian.

Here's one:

Amazon Expands Kindle Store With Polish, Hungarian, Hindi, Latin, and Russian eBooks Amazon eBookstore Kindle

Amazon's usually pretty fastidious about the languages they support in the Kindle Store (they'll even tell you which ones are supported),  but lately there's been a rupture between the languages  Amazon will let you upload and the ones which they're selling.

There's been no official announcement from Amazon, and they haven't expanded the list of supported languages in KDP, but I can report that you will find the 5 languages listed in the foreign language section of the Kindle Store.

Of the 5, only Russian and Hindi have more than a handful of titles. There are 87 Hindi titles, and an unknown number of Russian titles.  I don't know how many Russian titles are available, but I can report that Russian is listed as one of the 8 primary languages.

That detail is worth noting because each of the 7 other languages have their own national bookstore in their respective countries, and that suggests that the Kindle Store will launch soon in Russia.

And by soon, I mean very soon. If you'll take a moment and visit Kindle.ru, you may note that the error 502 message is in Russian - in Amazon orange font.

That is most definitely not a coincidence.

The-eBook.org

1. Francesco14 February, 2015

Latin ?

1. Nate Hoffelder14 February, 2015

Yes, that threw me as well.

2. reichsputin14 February, 2015

There are now 9,521 Russian titles in Kindle Store.

1. Nate Hoffelder14 February, 2015

Thanks.

3. […] a The Digital Reader-en olvastuk a hírt hogy az Amazon e-könyv áruházában többek között már választható a magyar nyelv is. Jelenleg ugyan összesen 1 darab könyv van a kategóriában (a Tiffany 293-294. összevont száma), de ez a lépés el?revetíti, hogy a kés?bbiekben más m?vek is megjelenhetnek a Kindle Store-ban. (link) […]

4. Aleksandra17 February, 2015

I have been trying for 3 years to publish e-books in Serbian and they refuse to add it to Kindle store. I do not understand that kind of restriction – only criteria should be if the e-book in made by professional standard or not.

1. Nate Hoffelder17 February, 2015

I’m not their spokesperson, but I bet I can guess why they declined. If they don’t support a language then they don’t have anyone who can do QA and tell whether the ebook is professionally made or not.

1. Aleksandra17 February, 2015

I have sent them several books and person I have talk to told me that books are OK, only problem was language. And “they are working on that” for 3 years.

5. […] ICYMI: Kindle Gets More Multilingual (Ink, Bits & Pixels) Late last week Amazon quietly added new titles to the Kindle Store published in Hindi, Russian, Hungarian, Polish and (why not?) Latin. One observer expects Russian ebook readers to get their very own national Kindle Store very soon. […]

6. […] has hit a snag in the launch of its Russian Kindle Store. Several local sources have reported that the Kindle now requires a special license before it can […]

7. Foppe13 April, 2016

As yet, Kindle.ru is still showing that same 502 message. Guess they’re not in all that much of a rush.?

1. Nate Hoffelder13 April, 2016

I guess not.

Maybe the contracts are taking longer than expected?

8. Bill Hutton1 May, 2018

I bought a Kindle Paper-white in Poland for my Polish partner and the guy showed us the Polish language in the Kindle Language section. Happy we bought it but when we got home I cannot find the Polish language and I never saw what the guy did to find it. Can anyone help me to find the Polish language ?????