Amazon Wants to Sell You Unlimited Cloud Storage for Your eBooks for $5

Amazon Wants to Sell You Unlimited Cloud Storage for Your eBooks for $5 Amazon Cloud Storage After stripping the DRM from your ebooks, the biggest concern for any ebook lover is how to _cheaply_ store an ebook library online so it can be accessed from anywhere.

Amazon has a solution. For a limited time, Amazon is selling a one year of unlimited cloud storage for $5 (the regular price is $60).

That is a great deal, but it comes with a couple catches.

• It's only available to new customers; and
  • you're committed to an auto-renewal at $60 a year.

I found out about the limitations the hard way; I already got a free year if unlimited storage because I happened to buy a monitor, and then about two months later, Amazon threw in the storage as a bonus, while at the same time they committed me to that auto-renewal option. (They stuck me with a contract to which I had not agreed.)

You can find the deal over at Amazon.

But before you sign up, you should know that Amazon gives 5GB of storage to Fire tablet owners. This includes the Fire tablet that is selling for $35 this weekend at Amazon and other retailers.

Is 5GB enough storage for your ebook library? (It is for me.)

Kinja

image by perspec_photo88

Nate Hoffelder is the founder and editor of The Digital Reader:He's here to chew bubble gum and fix broken websites, and he is all out of bubble gum. He has been blogging about indie authors since 2010 while learning new tech skills at the drop of a hat. He fixes author sites, and shares what he learns on The Digital Reader's blog. In his spare time, he fosters dogs for A Forever Home, a local rescue group.

1. Michael26 November, 2015

Where is the obligation to renew spelled out? I signed up then immediately turned off auto-renew without any argument from Amazon.

Don’t you have the same option from this page?

1. Nate Hoffelder27 November, 2015

@ Michael

Yes, I too disabled the auto-renew once I knew it was there.

2. Geoffrey Kidd26 November, 2015

Fiction: 30GB and growing.
    Non-Fiction: 242GB and growing.

FIVE GB is adequate? [Walks off laughing ass off interspersed with giggles and hiccups.]

1. Nate Hoffelder27 November, 2015

@ Geoffrey

I would have a similar sized ebook library if not for the fact that I catalog my digital comics separately (amd the space problem is why).

What’s in your non-fiction library that makes it so big, if I may ask?

3. Syn27 November, 2015

Why not a WD Mycloud? Starts around 130 for 2TB. It’s your, you own it so no monthly or yearly fee. It’s in your house, you can link to files you want to share like other cloud services, and it’s easy to stream from it and access files and ebooks from anywhere.

4. Kevin27 November, 2015

Michael, Nate, But if you turn off the auto-renewal, you pay $5 for storage for 1 year, and then all you stored stuff disappears at the end of the year. What is the benefit in this?

1. Nate Hoffelder27 November, 2015

And that’s a reason I am hesitant to use it.

But the main reason I don’t use it is that Google gives me 17GB for free.

5. Michael27 November, 2015

@Kevin: For me it’s redundant storage. I keep backups of some things at multiple providers, so $5 for one year of increased peace of mind is a great deal to me even if they delete the files at the end. And of course I can always renew if I choose to, I just don’t like to leave auto-renew on for anything I don’t absolutely need.

6. […] AMAZON OFRECE ALMACENAMIENTO ILIMITADO POR $5 (Fuente: The Digital Reader) […]

7. […] Amazon's $60 unlimited plan for Cloud Drive was one of the better deals for cloud storage (unless you managed to get it when it was $5). […]

8. […] are many options for online storage, including (as a reader reminded us yesterday) buying your own NAS and setting it up a file server on your own home network. One could also set […]